Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here and ran across a post stating something about older Enduros with rear triangle breakage issues. Also said that more recent models had gussets added to remove the issue. Just bought an '06 SWorks Enduro frame...do I have any concerns along these lines? :confused: Thanks for any assistance.

·
Fat Skis/Fat Tires
1,959 Posts
I've heard stories about that, but most times the rear triangle is considered part of the suspension, and as such isn't covered under the lifetime frame warranty for original owners anyway.

Anyone know how much a rear triangle goes for?

·
wretch
2,126 Posts
Yes. . . depending on how hard you ride. If your not really dropping, jumping, or gnarring, its ok. . . but watch out for it if your repeatedly riding rough terrain. I ride mine between Tahoe and Arizona and it gets its fair share of abuse. Broke it about 3 months into owning, out of warranty, $250 to replace, spesh shipped it quickly to the shop. The new one looks to be improved and reinforced.

·
dirt visionary
6,522 Posts
e-bo-b said:
I've heard stories about that, but most times the rear triangle is considered part of the suspension, and as such isn't covered under the lifetime frame warranty for original owners anyway.

Anyone know how much a rear triangle goes for?

There are a few reasons that guys frame broke....... One was a weak as air shock . Two was that the bike has seen to much abuse already and that just happend to be the last straw. And three he bottomed hard which transfered all that energy into the chainstays.

·
Registered
666 Posts
The reason it broke is a bad design. Specialized tried to fix it a number of ways. 1st was to make it a bit beefer for '06 (that's what they replaced mine with). Then for '07 they added the gusset. For '08 they made the stays symmetrical which, IMO, should fix the problem. Get the '08 chain stays if/when yours break, they're supposed to fit the older models too.

·
dirt visionary
6,522 Posts
THE SXTRAILS WERE THE ONLY ONES TO GET BEEFED UP STAYS through the years..............When someone broke their enduro stays Specialized sent out the stronger stays from the sxtrail . It is not a bad design .....Its using the bike outside of the ALL MOUNTAIN/trailriding pourpose it was built for.

WE are talking about enduro's here.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I'm pretty sure the '06 Enduro and the '05 Enduro are the exact same frame. The '05 SX Trail and the '05 Enduro are the same, the only diff was the components. Sooooo...Specialized had that same bad design on their first SX Trail--a light freeride, all-mountain bike. If it wasn't a bad design--they wouldn't have had all the snappage. I'm glad they finally went with a symmetric stay. I have not heard of a broken one yet. I had a Haro with an asymmetrical stay--it snapped in a similar fashion. I'm guessing 'cause one side had a smaller triangle it got stressed a bit more. An all mountain bike should be able to handle a bit of air-time jumps and drops so I don't agree that they're used outside their design. They are not XC race bikes.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I think Wavedude meant that the rear triangle had been designed "sub-optimally for strength". I don't think he was talking about the front part of the frame.

As we see, the rear stay design has changed and become beefier.
If it just costs $250 for a new one (and if the new symmetrical SX Trails fit on even a 2005 Enduro). Then could that a logical thing to upgrade for people beefing up their frames? To proactively change it before it breaks if you are hucking and dropping.

$250 isn't a lot, I think I would prefer to have chainstays that won't break than a Titanium coil!

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is my friends '06 Enduro in the vid. This may have been the 'last straw' for this rear triangle but you have to agree this is a pretty small jump and should be well within the limits of an Enduro. Spech considered it to be part to the suspension and therefore did not cover it under the frame warranty. They did however cover it as a crash replacement. They sent a new beefed up rear triangle from the SX and total replacement cost was $210.

·
dirt visionary
6,522 Posts

·
Trying a little
1,781 Posts
The 2002 to 2004 Enduro SX are stronger than the 05 and later ones, overall, in my limited opinion, because I have not heard of them having the chain stay issue. I've seen people take them off some really big stuff, but that doesn't mean much.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.