Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking real hard at the Dakota Comp and Durango 3. I've looked and compared all of their components and saw that the components are almost all identical, and the wieght is only a 2 pound difference. I didn't look how much of a quality difference there is between most of the components, assuming there isn't a huge difference. If I overlooked something please tell me. Bottom-line, what bike had more bang for the buck? I mainly do XC, and some urban commuting. Please tell me what I should get, at a $250 price difference is it worth it? What one would have better handling, speed, etc. I'm also open to any other opinions within the price range of these 2 bikes. Just ask if you need any more info. Thanks alot.
Here are the specs for the bikes.
Dakota Comp
Durango 3

~aKore

·
Registered
141 Posts
When looking at a new bike, look at the frames first. All the other components are replaceable, but you'll always have the same frame. The geometry between the two frames is identical, the Dakota however comes with Carbon seat stays. I would imagine they're nearly identical performance wise, with the Dakota a little lighter because of the Carbon.

Where do you see yourself when it comes to upgrades? Both those forks will be average performers, it may be wise to save the $250 and put it towards a fork in the $300 range in a year or two. You can get some great forks for that price.

Not to throw another wrench in the spokes, but the Exile XC is also in your price range too. It has a steel frame, which will be a little more compliant than an aluminum frame. Components are similar to the Dakota, except is uses SRAM X9 components instead of Shimano...both will perform great.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the recommendation. Because the Exile XC is steel, will it noticably weigh more? Also, are you sure you mean compliant? Since it basically means submissive (more flexible), you'd think that with a steel frame it would be more rigid. Thanks, I'll have to look that Exile XC over.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yes, the steel should be more flexible. Once aluminum starts to flex, it will fatigue and eventually fail. That's why an aluminum hardtail frame is built to not flex and will be very stiff with it's large diameter tubing. Steel on the otherhand, when kept under it's limits, can flex indefinitely and not fail. That's why the springs on our cars are steel. The steel frame will also last a long time, you could hand it down to your grandchildren if you so desired.

As far as weight, you can see the Exile is only 1/2 lb heavier than the dakota...and it actually comes with a few heavier components such as the brakes. I would bet the frame weights are nearly identical.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the reply, it all makes sense. And after looking at the weights of the 2 bikes I was like "Holy crap, no time to edit my post...". Well my decision is almost solid now, being on the Exile XC. Thanks for all your help Astroguy. Oh, and as for grandchildren, I don't even have children yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.