Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick survey of people who have the new Cake 1 or 2. Happy with it so far? Also, have you weighed your bike? For a M frame and the OEM spec. they look like they should come in under 30 lb.

·
Rider of Bikes
224 Posts
I picked up an '06 Cake 1 DLX about a month ago. I've had it on many rides on a variety of trails. So far, I'm extremely pleased. It took me a few rides to dial in the suspension, but now I've got it right where I like it. The only thing I've changed from stock parts are the saddle and the tires. The saddle just wasn't the right shape for me, so I swapped it with a Terry Fly Ti. The Jones ACX tires were decent, but just wouldn't hold an edge on sharp turns or on off-camber trails, plus they packed with mud pretty easily. I put on some Continental Vertical Pro tires, and I'm runnung them tubeless with Stan's.

Overall, I'd say Fisher finally got the Cake right. The bearing problem was fixed (I believe they added a third bearing on the drive side of the pivot). The parts spec is great, and it's a been a perfect trail bike with no mechanical problems, and no chain suck issues at all. The Swinger shock and the Fox Float 130 XTT fork eliminate any unwanted bob on climbs, and hard pedaling on flats. The suspension works well when you need it. The only negative thing I can really say is that like any single pivot bike, you still get a little brake jack from time to time.

By the way, it weighed in at 28 pounds (medium) on the shop scale. not bad for a 5" travel trail bike!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent summary - thanks. I ride a Big Sur right now and am going to get a FS *something* by next Spring. I'll have to check out a Cake 1 or possibly a Cake 2 DLX.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I recently got the 05. I agree about taking a few rides to dail in the suspension. I got the 05 over the 06 for the bigger front fork/ brake and the small differences in compnents but the suspension works great. I have taken it on 4 hour mountainis rides with roadies on hard tails and its exactaly what I wanted. Its not as fast as my GF sugar team but its alot more fun especaily on the longer rides. This bike isnt going to win you any races but it will keep up in the woods weather you are with roadies on hard tails or on the mountain doing all but the extream DH stuff.

There were alot of parts changed from 05 to 06. I already have 2 other XC bikes so I wanted one that was alittle hevier and could take alittlee more abuse. check out these pictures of close ups of my bike. You will notice alot of small changes.

http://tiger.towson.edu/users/jmille22/Bike/

there are also a few close ups of how the 24MM through axle QR works. Kinds interesting if you have never seen one before.

I have also ridden the 06 and it does feel alittle lighter and faster up the hills. The whoel front end feels lighter I think it must be the fork and the smaller brake. But on the shop scale there was harldy any difference. about .25 lbs.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice 1DLX. :)

I'm liking the parts spec. v. cost on the 06 Cake 1 and Cake 2DLX. For 06 you get the Fox fork, the GXP style bb, and the Race wheelset which is respectably light. Compared to some of the other manufacturer's offerings in this price range you get a very capable component package at a pretty reasonable weight, and that's what I'm looking for.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.