Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How does the O6 Big Hit look to you experienced riders? Would it be a good enty level Downhill bike for an aggressive Old guy (54) whose been riding crosscountry for ten years, but always wishing for something to do some downhill? I get to Snowshoe West Virginia a couple times a year and I love riding the moderate downhill stuff on my 05 Stumpjumper, expert. Wanting to start doing some of the smaller drop offs and jumps. Too old to get real serious. Also, looking for somewhere in the Southeast to ride Downhill during the winter months, even though I live up in Ohio.

·
Registered
743 Posts
It would be helpful if you could give us a little more info in terms of what you are looking for besides "downhill" Do you intend to do significant drops or will you be pedaling a lot? these are just types of questions to think about.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
I wouldn't drop the cash for the 06 Big Hit...don't get me wrong it is a great bike...actually a really really good bike...but you are just starting out in DH....what i would do is find a used Kona Stinky between 8000 to 1000 dollars...ride that and see if you like DH...then if you do sell the bike (for about the same price) and get yourself a nivce bike like the 06 Big Hit or something else

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
yea, i'm with SMT on this one, get a used bike first, so then you wont take the price dump from buying new. get a used stinky or even a really old kona stab. also check out the old bighits. there are a lot of options ... buy used and see if you like that type of riding first.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Some people would rather buy new than buy someone elses used junk. You never know what you are getting when you buy used plus NO warrenty. The new Big Hit would be a great bike, plus you would have warrenty from Specialized and the bike shop would tune it for free for a year.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Since this your 2nd bike...go for it.

Personally I don't like buying used. There's peace of mind with buying something new and especially with Specialized lifetime warranty, you can't go wrong. Given your age and assuming your position in life, older and wiser so those intangibles out way saving a few bucks. Also using the angle of finding out you don't like DH, then selling the bike as the first owner, great warranty will yield a better return of your investment.

You already have the Stumpjumper so the BigHit with shared FSR platform will be very comfortable for you and you'll recharge your MTB experience.

Good luck and give us a follow up on what you do...hopefully review and pics of your new BigHit!! ;)

G

·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
I wouldn't drop the cash for the 06 Big Hit...don't get me wrong it is a great bike...actually a really really good bike...but you are just starting out in DH....what i would do is find a used Kona Stinky between 8000 to 1000 dollars...ride that and see if you like DH...then if you do sell the bike (for about the same price) and get yourself a nivce bike like the 06 Big Hit or something else
Isnt that a bit more than a stinky really is ;)

·
I like air!
915 Posts
I think thats a great bike and they always have been good bikes. If your not going to have a chair lift or shuttle then it may be a bit much to pedal around but not nearly as bad as most of the other specific DH bikes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.