Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for starting points for settings on the '06 7point7 w/ dhx coil. Anyone have suggestions. It'll be on a small and I weigh about 160-165 w/ gear. I remember last year Ironhorse issued a tech bulletin on recommended settings for the 5th. Annything like that for the dhx?

Thanks
Auk

·
M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
3,584 Posts
my guess is that you will need a 300# spring. The key is to find a spring where you'll be able to run minimum preload - propedal between completely off and/or a few clicks in (on my Sunday I ran none) - just experience with it and see what you prefer. I run close to full BO

The amount of air in something you'll have to play with - on my Sunday I'm not too concerned about pedaling, so I want a plush ride. Therefore I run pretty low pressure (between 100 and 115). I know some people that race alot run between 160-180. Play with that see what you like best. Start with a higher psi then gradually decrease by 10psi's until you get the desired compression feel you're looking for.

·
Industry Loudmouth
964 Posts
Along the lines of what Luc says, start w/ your settings pretty much wide open and go from there. You have the advantage of being light :) I am 215lbs and tend to ride thru stuff and need a bit more bottom out control to the end stroke.

My recommendation is to start w/ 100-125psi and the bottom out chamber open, zero to 2 clicks of pro pedal depending on ride conditions. Then go out on a ride with your shock pump. if you find you are bottoming harshly reduce the chamber size by 1/4 to 1/2. If you are still bottoming harsh add up to another 25psi. The only time I see riders running more pressure than this is on DH race type courses w/ repeated fast/hard hits and big g-outs.

-ska todd

·
Registered
236 Posts
So... do you have a set of 07 link plates then? Can I ask where, how and how much?
I'm starting to worry about my 5thE as it's making the odd not so desirable noise.. so it's either the Roco or the DHX with the link plates. I might as well get on this as it's going to happen sooner or later and I'm heading to Whistler tomorrow which could spell the end of it!

·
Just another FOCer
1,371 Posts
Aukmal wanted to be able to run a DHX so he sold his 05 7Point7 and bought an 06 7Point7.

Now that's dedication!

He will still run a 40. Saint cranks with a single ring up front this time.

Plus, some special bling bling wheels.

jon_boy said:
So... do you have a set of 07 link plates then?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ahh...my dear Winston knows me only too well...

6 months to get the dhx pushed? We'll see.

Bling wheels, true, the new 7point will have a nice set of wheels. There aren't many options for wheels w/ the 150 spacing, and most of them are Bling (DT Swiss 440 hubs, or DT Swiss 2350s, Hadleys, Saints, I9, DeeMax UST), just some a little more than others.

Winston's right, I sold the '05 and am building an '06. This really started in earnest when I rode an '05 Ellsworh Dare w/ the dhx coil and 40 up front. The rear end seemed more lively which seemed to give the bike a more nimble feel to it.

I actually considered the following frames: '05 Dare, Highline, Knolly V-tach, Rogue, and Nomad. There were no more small '05 Dares to be found, The Highline looked like it had a high bottom bracket for the given geometry, the Rogue seemed like it had too long a top tube, and I don't necessarily like the idea of the VPP suspension design (especially with the dw-link available). I've heard awesome things about the Knolly, but it's super expensive and it apears to have virtually the same geometry as the 7point..

I've never had anything bad to say about the '05 7point, but after riding that small Dare, I thought the rear suspension could be improved upon a little...don't get me wrong, I still think the 5th element is a great shock on the '05 frames, just wanted to try something different and the opportunity presented itself. So I went with the Small '06 7point.

Auk

·
Registered
259 Posts
Auk:
Congratulations on the new 7point.
I saw your for sale ad and was wondering what the deal was- good choice.:thumbsup:

PS- for all you guys and girls that are still running a 5thE:
If you haven't tried already, back that blue cvt nut all the way (or nearly all the way) out (turn it counter clockwise till it stops).
I finally got around to doing this and it made a HUGE difference in overall plushness. I can't believe I didn't do this sooner.
Previously I was running it about 1 turn in thinking my fat azz would bottom the shock out.
It feels much better this way, more balanced with the 66 up front, and after two rides I still haven't bottomed it out.
Should hold me over till I can afford an Roco or Avy.

·
Registered
655 Posts
If you're looking for non-bling rear wheels for the 150mm spacing there's always the Azonic Outlaws. A good option for people like me who think bling wheels are a gigantic waste of money.

Let's see, $250 for a new set of wheels and have enough left for a couple weekends of riding at Diablo or Snowshoe.... or a $800 set of bling wheels that I can ride on my local trails for the 10823th time, and probably break them just the same. Hmm.....

Suspension components are a different story though. They affect the ride, your enjoyment, your safety, so spend the cash there and on good tacky tires. HBT has spoken!

;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
7point/dhx setup - First Impressions

I picked up the 06 7point on Thursday afternoon. Just to recap, it's set up with a Fox 40 on front dhx coil w/ 300 lb spring on back. Taking advice from Acadian and Ska Todd, the initial setup was 100psi, one turn in on the boost valve, two clicks in on propedal, 8 clicks out on rebound. This seemed to work well on the first day...aggressive trail, 3-4 foot drops with a few steep high speed chattery sections.

The second day of riding was very, very steep, techy trails, with bigger rollers, drops, and rock sections. I found myself bottoming on the second day so I boosted the pressure to 110-115 and dialed an extra half turn in on the boost valve. I also slowed the rebound to 7 clicks out from full in, and used only one click on the propedal.

This helped with the bottoming out. I find that pushing through corners, the dhx tracks extremely well and provides a more positive sense of control than the 5th. The dhx also seems to smooth out the high speed chattery stuff better than the 5th. I'm thinking that over the next few weeks with more rides and time to break in, the dhx is going to be a superb addition to the 7point spec.

Auk

·
Registered
655 Posts
Damn you short people and your bikes that always look better than the large frames!!

I would dance a happy dance and bust out the wallet if Iron Horse decided to un-bend the top and down tubes and make them straight runs. Sure, it'll look like a mini-Sunday but that's the point. ;)

That's a hot looking bike but points off for the saddle's whiteness and non-downhiller-approved angle. Hehe.

·
Just another FOCer
1,371 Posts
I'm a big fan of the bent top tube. When things go wrong on them steep trails, the bruises end up closer to my knees than my groin. ;) :D

Hot Butter Topping said:
...I would dance a happy dance and bust out the wallet if Iron Horse decided to un-bend the top and down tubes and make them straight runs. Sure, it'll look like a mini-Sunday but that's the point. ;)...

·
Registered
655 Posts
That's true! Though when things go wrong with me on the bike we usually part company at great speed and there's little risk of me contacting anything but a tree or the ground, and not leading with my crotch! ;)

Great standover height though. I can't wait for my Roco this week.....hurry up Go-Ride, damnit!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.