Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought an 08 RFX to replace my 06 spot as my all mountain rig. I'm so stoked for the RFX! I'm debating if I should sell the spot or not. Most of the parts will be transferred to the RFX. If I decide to sell it, what can I expect to get for a large 06 spot frame with 5.5 rockers?

Oh, and while I'm at it, Lyric coil U turn or Fox Talas for the RFX?

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Where r u? US, I'm not sure US boys best to know on value!

Forks personally if I could have gotten a Lyrik Uturn it would have been my No1 choice! not for the adjustable but because I prefer RS to Fox, the Van is fine its simple!

If I was looking at the 2step vs the Talas, on adjustability alone! Well Fox maybe umm Zoke 55 if it was reliable 09 fingers crossed!

RS Lyrik I'm not a fan of 160mm to 115mm seems weird to me!

Not having ridden it though its hard, but having had the Pike and not going down on regular ride to anywhere near that amount why would I go there on a RFX doh that's me though, 160 to 140 or 130 does seem better to me for a 2 step I think they messed that imo again thinking to XCish, marketing departments or XC product testers, let the DH guys test this stuff hahha, not the lycra guys!

Fox is doing the same thing trying to be all things when they have forks for everything why have a fork that goes 160 140 100 to me just crazy 6inch bikes stink bug ride climbing at that drop, its not natural ya not riding properly or ya technique setup is crap.

Ive technically climbed my RFX with a 66rc2x no travel adjust 170mm fork and out climbed XC rigs who couldn't get traction with good tech and the RFX ability to get traction bloody hard work, and wiped the smiles off there faces!

Still back to to choices Lyrik Uturn would be my choice, more options long term, and if you do decide to add another shock in future which is highly likely to go with your RP23 [likely a coil it will be a good match]

1 for Lyrik coil :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
$800-$900 for the frame....

Seems you are set on a U-Turn or Talus fork - if you don't really need it I recommend the 36 RC2 - our trails in NJ have very short but steep ups and the A-C of the Fox is perfectly matched with the 08 RFX.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
wilks said:

Seems you are set on a U-Turn or Talus fork - if you don't really need it I recommend the 36 RC2 - our trails in NJ have very short but steep ups and the A-C of the Fox is perfectly matched with the 08 RFX.
I got 750 for a 5 spot in very good shape about 6 months ago. I'd guess 800-900 is a lot in this economy.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oceanfissure said:
Where did you get the 08 RFX? I'm thinking about the same thing, selling the spot for an RFX. I'm pretty sure Turners all out, right? Have you ridden the new RFX yet? I'd like to hear your thoughts & comparisons?
I bought it on ebay a while back and I'm just getting around to building it up. Sorry, can't give you any thoughts or comparisons yet.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wilks said:

My spot has a Pike 454 coil U turn which I absolutely love. Had a talas 32 before the Pike and it never felt quite right. I'm hoping that a lyric U turn would have a similar feel as the Pike. The riding in my area has a lot of steep sustained climbs which make dropping the fork down necessary. What is the A-C difference between Lyric and Fox 36?

·
Registered
982 Posts
I say nay, nay.

trailadvent said:
Where r u? US, I'm not sure US boys best to know on value!

Forks personally if I could have gotten a Lyrik Uturn it would have been my No1 choice! not for the adjustable but because I prefer RS to Fox, the Van is fine its simple!

If I was looking at the 2step vs the Talas, on adjustability alone! Well Fox maybe umm Zoke 55 if it was reliable 09 fingers crossed!

RS Lyrik I'm not a fan of 160mm to 115mm seems weird to me!

Not having ridden it though its hard, but having had the Pike and not going down on regular ride to anywhere near that amount why would I go there on a RFX doh that's me though, 160 to 140 or 130 does seem better to me for a 2 step I think they messed that imo again thinking to XCish, marketing departments or XC product testers, let the DH guys test this stuff hahha, not the lycra guys!

Fox is doing the same thing trying to be all things when they have forks for everything why have a fork that goes 160 140 100 to me just crazy 6inch bikes stink bug ride climbing at that drop, its not natural ya not riding properly or ya technique setup is crap.

Ive technically climbed my RFX with a 66rc2x no travel adjust 170mm fork and out climbed XC rigs who couldn't get traction with good tech and the RFX ability to get traction bloody hard work, and wiped the smiles off there faces!

Still back to to choices Lyrik Uturn would be my choice, more options long term, and if you do decide to add another shock in future which is highly likely to go with your RP23 [likely a coil it will be a good match]

1 for Lyrik coil :thumbsup:
Both (2) thumbs up for the 2009 Fox 36 Talas RC2. Mounted on a '07/'08 RFX with a PUSH'ed RP23. A much nicer fork than my old Lyrik 2 Step in every way and this fork comes as close to a coil feel as it gets for right now. :thumbsup:

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
steve47co1 said:
Both (2) thumbs up for the 2009 Fox 36 Talas RC2. Mounted on a '07/'08 RFX with a PUSH'ed RP23. A much nicer fork than my old Lyrik 2 Step in every way and this fork comes as close to a coil feel as it gets for right now. :thumbsup:
Did ya read it all :D

I'm and always will be a coil fan for the RFX and above if Marz sorted the 66ata I might try it with a coil a long side for kicks and giggles but I like the shear simplicity and tuning I can do myself of a coil fork, maintenance and ride characteristics travel adjust not interested, my goal is always to get stronger not more crutches!

That said on a dwl Spot I might be interested though! LOL.. [edit] prob still go Lyrik hehe..

"Greg Lemond said it never gets easier you just get faster"

Talas has come along way so I wasn't putting it ahead of the 2step out of the 2 the suggested Lyrik coil and Talas the coil is my pref and opinion is all..:thumbsup:

·
Registered
663 Posts
surfhb said:
Just bought an 08 RFX to replace my 06 spot as my all mountain rig. I'm so stoked for the RFX! I'm debating if I should sell the spot or not. Most of the parts will be transferred to the RFX. If I decide to sell it, what can I expect to get for a large 06 spot frame with 5.5 rockers?

Oh, and while I'm at it, Lyric coil U turn or Fox Talas for the RFX?
Not gonna answer that without a pic of the RFX :nono:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.