Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed the oil on my Z150 and followed all the instructions found here on MTBR and feel I did it right. I set the oil height at 45mm below top of stanchions and used Torco 5w. I got 5 good inches of travel and it feels like it is bottoming out there and does not get that 6th inch. No air preload. I then lowered the height to 65mm below the top and got the same results. Should I try 3w oil and/or lower the oil height even more. How low can you set the oil height and how thin of an oil can be used? The fork acted like this when I bought it and I attributed it to a long break in period because it eventually achieved full travel after ~6weeks of riding. Did it take 6weeks of oil use/loss to get to a low enough height so that it could get full travel? Any tips would be grately appreciated.

·
Just another FOC'er
2,222 Posts
bradg said:
I just changed the oil on my Z150 and followed all the instructions found here on MTBR and feel I did it right. I set the oil height at 45mm below top of stanchions and used Torco 5w. I got 5 good inches of travel and it feels like it is bottoming out there and does not get that 6th inch. No air preload. I then lowered the height to 65mm below the top and got the same results. Should I try 3w oil and/or lower the oil height even more. How low can you set the oil height and how thin of an oil can be used? The fork acted like this when I bought it and I attributed it to a long break in period because it eventually achieved full travel after ~6weeks of riding. Did it take 6weeks of oil use/loss to get to a low enough height so that it could get full travel? Any tips would be grately appreciated.
I've got an 04 Z150 and 65mm is the height I shoot for. At 50mm it hydraulic locks and blows oil through the seals. I always use 7.5 weight oil and I weigh 165. That last inch is tough, just the way I like it.

BTW, if it's an 05 it's probably a Z1 150mm. It's possible the levels may be different than a Z150. Unless it's a 130mm ;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts