Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
'18 Transition Sentinel
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(A) What are the difference between last year's '05 Juicy 7 caliper vs this year's '06 Juicy 7 caliper, if any? Or is it just rotor in the box that's different? (I'm looking at some '05 close-out.)

(B) Can I used good-'ol classic "Clean Sweep" rotor with Juicy 7? If so, any difference in feel/performance, when compared to the default Juicy-7 "Polygon" or the new "Clean-Sweep Serpentine(?)" rotor?

Thanks for the info in advance,
- PiroChu

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
I do not believe that there is any difference with the caliper.

The Clean Sweep rotor will work fine with the J7. You may even have less setup headache if you just use the Clean Sweeps straight off the bat. They are slightly heavier than the Polygon rotors though.

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
The caliper is the same between the 05 and 06. Then major difference is the lever mount. the 05 has a one piece mount that you must slide onto the bar where the 06 has the clamp style mount like the 04 model.

Like XLS said, the clean sweeps will work fine. I used the polygons for a while and ran out of patients with the setup process, so I switched to the clean sweeps. Avid admitted that there was a problem with the original, 05 included, polygon rotors where the pads hit the rotor arms causing the pulsing that you may have heard of.

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
Tangental ... Time to reconcile ???

PiroChu said:
(A) What are the difference between last year's '05 Juicy 7 caliper vs this year's '06 Juicy 7 caliper, if any? Or is it just rotor in the box that's different? (I'm looking at some '05 close-out.)

(B) Can I used good-'ol classic "Clean Sweep" rotor with Juicy 7? If so, any difference in feel/performance, when compared to the default Juicy-7 "Polygon" or the new "Clean-Sweep Serpentine(?)" rotor?

Thanks for the info in advance,
- PiroChu
This is tangental, but isn't it about time that SRAM reconciled their numbering for groups? When they make improvements or upgraded numbers, is it not a better idea to create a Juicy-X9 instead of a Juicy Carbon and a Juicy-X0 instead of a Juicy Ultimate???

·
'18 Transition Sentinel
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wormdrive mechanism ?

XSL_WiLL said:
a minor difference with the wormdrive mechanism on the levers
Thanks for your feedback. Hummm, another thing to consider... So, what's "wormdrive mechanism"? Sorry, I'm still using mech-disc, and am a hydro-disc virgin :blush: , considering to switch over...

Thanks,
- PiroChu

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
PiroChu said:
Thanks for your feedback. Hummm, another thing to consider... So, what's "wormdrive mechanism"? Sorry, I'm still using mech-disc, and am a hydro-disc virgin :blush: , considering to switch over...

Thanks,
- PiroChu
Wormdrive mechanism is the mechanism for the red knob that adjusts the bite point.

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
I think there's also a minor difference with the wormdrive mechanism on the levers. He asked about the caliper though.
be350ka
The caliper is the same between the 05 and 06. Then major difference is the lever mount. the 05 has a one piece mount that you must slide onto the bar where the 06 has the clamp style mount like the 04 model.
Yea, I just wanted let him know the other changes since it is a common question.

·
silly person
629 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
I do not believe that there is any difference with the caliper.

The Clean Sweep rotor will work fine with the J7. You may even have less setup headache if you just use the Clean Sweeps straight off the bat. They are slightly heavier than the Polygon rotors though.
I saw a post showing the 6 leg Clean Sweep and the Poly's are the same weight.

To the OP: Please start with the Clean Sweeps. You've got a pretty decent chance the Polygons will shudder and make fun noises. I'd estimate using clean sweeps, if you set it up well, you should have 95% chance of a good tidy setup. Using Polygons, maybe a 30% chance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.