Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to post a quick review of the 05 V10 for those who are interested. Hopefully the pics will come up. I'm new to the forum so give me a sec if they don't.

Setup: 05 V10 anodized blue size large, 03 Shiver, atomic wheels/michelin 2.8 tires, Hadley 12mm rear, 5th E w/ 500# spring, MRP 38t, various other parts (not pictured; syncros dh flats). Weight=48 lbs.

Ride: I have had the bike about three months and ride about 2-3 times a week. The ride, to put is shortly, is nothing but amazing. I have never experienced a bike that accelerates so quickly yet retains plushness and progression. The thing that stands out the most for me (beside the acceleration) is the cornering. The bike rails corners hard while maintaining a profile that doesn't feel too long or slack. The center of gravity is super low making for a very controlled ride. It does wallow a little in real tight corners but considering the high speed stability tight corner performance is only a minor drawback. The bike jumps very well on any thing with a defined ramp. (Meaning that any thing that is soft dirt or has a rounded lip gets rolled over instead of jumped.) I do notice quite a bit more kick up of the rear off jumps compared to other bikes if I don't preload correctly. I'm not sure if this is the vpp design, the length, or just a technique thing but all jumps require a certain preload movement to keep the nose from going too far down. Drops are handled really well. I rarely if ever feel the end of the rear suspension on a drop. The only time I know I'm close is if my tire buzzes my seat on a hard g-out. Of course 5th element setup is key to performance.

The Shiver seems to match the 5th and sag of the frame perfectly. I did have an 888r for a short time but reliability issues, a tall height, and the inability to set the fork to the rear made the Shiver a clear choice for this frame IMO.

Things I would change: There isn't much I would change as SC has done their home work on this bike. I would move the vertical support braces on the swing arm toward the middle ( of the arm) and make them beefier (the only part on the bike that isn't beefy). This would keep the chain from smacking and rubbing off paint and metal. It would also block dirt from the linkage and shock better. The fancy carbon fender hasn't been made last I checked. The vertical braces also require quite a bit of trimming on the MRP roller arms. Stock roller arms will pinch the braces if not trimmed correctly. Pinch bolts at every pivot are nice but the actual bolts are a bit short. Other than that the bike is solid. Oh, and the price is a bit up there but for what a person gets it is very competitive if not better than anything at the same price if not more.

I'll try to answer questions.

SJ

Attachments

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Just had to switch my pants with that. BEAUTIFUL. I think Shivers belong on V-10s :D (I have one).

·
Registered
524 Posts
Whoa.....from all other pics it looked sick. That frame looks retarded for some reason, being bent up and all. Its a nice bike....but hell! You sure that weight is right?!

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Weights probably close with those Atomlab wheels.
My v10 is about 45.

Also, forgot to put earlier, the sh1tty jumping is a characteristic with V-10s, you basically have to racer jump everything out there otherwise the rear end will take up speed, or get kicked up and flip the front forward.

·
Perpetrator of Lawsuits
393 Posts
DJrider04 said:
Whoa.....from all other pics it looked sick. That frame looks retarded for some reason, being bent up and all. Its a nice bike....but hell! You sure that weight is right?!
Retarded??? To each his own... I think that's about the best looking bike I've ever seen.

Enjoy it, and thanks for the review.

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
very nice bike, and review too.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
man id do a fat chick for that bike...of course in my size tho...small... :rolleyes:

(nice review to a good read and finally some content for the MTBR Downhill - Freeride forum)

oh and the trail pims are sick...but was there any other reasons than these why u got rid off the 888 (could u be more specific)...

SJ10 said:
I did have an 888r for a short time but reliability issues, a tall height, and the inability to set the fork to the rear made the Shiver a clear choice for this frame IMO.

·
Shamisen Appreciator
2,095 Posts
Would you please explain the rear end kick up you're experiencing on softer jumps. Is it a similar feel to when you have rebound damping set too fast?

Also, are you a "stand and hammer" type of rider through rough sections or do you try to stay seated and spin as much as possible. I understand the VPP designs tend to favor a smooth spinner.

Thanks for the review.

·
Registered
524 Posts
If it didnt have that one sharp turn in the TT by the headtube, I think it would look much cleaner, thats all. I do like it more than the older V10....but damnnnnnnn 48lbs!

·
T.Dot Represent
1,290 Posts
thast one hell of a nice bike...

could u please take a pc of the linkage? im curious to see how it is set up...

looks like a very intricate design!!

·
/dev/null
720 Posts
My gut reaction when I first saw it in the (Sea Otter?) thread on here a while back was that the frame was pretty ugly, but I have to say, it's grown on me. A very nice looking ride. Glad to hear it rides as well as it looks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BJ- said:
man id do a fat chick for that bike...of course in my size tho...small... :rolleyes:

(nice review to a good read and finally some content for the MTBR Downhill - Freeride forum)

oh and the trail pims are sick...but was there any other reasons than these why u got rid off the 888 (could u be more specific)...
There were several reasons I got rid of the 888r and went with the Shiver. I had problems up front with the preload clips not holding the heavy springs tight enough so when I would land off of a hit the springs would unload and I would end up with two inches of mushy travel. It cost me about three weeks of riding and after looking at the internals I felt marzocchi could have made the fork more reliable. The fork also felt a little tall except on really steep sections where it felt pretty nice. The steering was also a little sharp for my taste. It was also a little hard to match the rear of the bike in comparison to the Shiver. I also felt the shiver would hold up better under my weight (235lbs + gear). I really did like the compression adjustment on the 888r but the Shiver in the end was just a better choice for me. Both are good forks but it really comes down to personal preference and feel.

SJ

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
smudge said:
Would you please explain the rear end kick up you're experiencing on softer jumps. Is it a similar feel to when you have rebound damping set too fast?

Also, are you a "stand and hammer" type of rider through rough sections or do you try to stay seated and spin as much as possible. I understand the VPP designs tend to favor a smooth spinner.

Thanks for the review.
I find it more difficult to preload at the bottom and into the face of jumps that are softer (softer dirt, not as well defined ramp etc..) Just riding into the jump will cause the back end to kick up (more than other bikes I've tried). Jumping the bike well seems to take a deliberate motion that is trickier to do on those kinds of jumps. Could just be a rider issue as well. It is similar to having the rebound to fast but mine is fairly slow (about 1.5-1.75 turns out from full in on the 5th). I try to work on being pedaling as smooth as possible but the VPP design works really well in most pedaling situations.

SJ

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
SJ10 said:
There were several reasons I got rid of the 888r and went with the Shiver. I had problems up front with the preload clips not holding the heavy springs tight enough so when I would land off of a hit the springs would unload and I would end up with two inches of mushy travel. It cost me about three weeks of riding and after looking at the internals I felt marzocchi could have made the fork more reliable. The fork also felt a little tall except on really steep sections where it felt pretty nice. The steering was also a little sharp for my taste. It was also a little hard to match the rear of the bike in comparison to the Shiver. I also felt the shiver would hold up better under my weight (235lbs + gear). I really did like the compression adjustment on the 888r but the Shiver in the end was just a better choice for me. Both are good forks but it really comes down to personal preference and feel.

SJ
oh ok thanks...

so the main resons were personal preference and ur a big guy so u wanted a tougher fork etc. i just wanted to make sure that it wasnt that V10s and 888s didnt work very well...

·
Sedona, Az USA
1,036 Posts
does your new v10 make those "monocoque" popping and cracking noises? my buddies foes mono is soo loud and my m1 made a bunch of noise too.

joel

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BJ- said:
oh ok thanks...

so the main resons were personal preference and ur a big guy so u wanted a tougher fork etc. i just wanted to make sure that it wasnt that V10s and 888s didnt work very well...
The 888 is a good fork and IMO could be a great fork if Marzocchi put a little more thought into the reliability. The 888 works good with the v10 but the Shiver was better overall for me. I just think the Shiver works really well on bikes with the 5th element. Again, as much of a preference thing as a performance thing.

SJ

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
M1_joel said:
does your new v10 make those "monocoque" popping and cracking noises? my buddies foes mono is soo loud and my m1 made a bunch of noise too.

joel
The bike has a little bit of a creak when I push down on the seat with my arms or first sit on it but other than that it is super silent. With the exception of the Hadley the bike is stealth (helps to pad the heck out of the swing arm drive side).

SJ

1 - 20 of 22 Posts