Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Hisforever
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who is asking me this, i think its okay to run a 5" travel fork on an 05' rfx that has the flux/spot seat-stay and an original 5" rocker. It would basically be a solid 5 spot right, with a slightly altered Geo?

What say ye homers?

·
Registered
411 Posts
If I am not mistaken...

The 05 RFX was named Six-Pack, the 06 model was named RFX again.

Never tried the combination you described, sounds logical, especially with the 5" rear.

·
a tight kick sound
1,812 Posts
It rocks my socks!
Best set up I have found in a while.
I am not certain about the geo. I wanted to get back to something like my old 5 spot but with more
beef up front and slightly slacker.

This is exactly what this set up is. Low, fast off the line and easy to take anywhere.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
SHAHEEB said:
I have a friend who is asking me this, i think its okay to run a 5" travel fork on an 05' rfx that has the flux/spot seat-stay and an original 5" rocker. It would basically be a solid 5 spot right, with a slightly altered Geo?

What say ye homers?
Hey Shaheeb,

Run mine as you described for about 12 months (5.5" travel Pike up front) and it was fantastic. Mine is now up to 7" travel front and rear (7 Pack). If I ever see a large 05/06 Pack/RFX front triangle for sale I will probably end up buying it to build up a 5 Pack again. I just love the way the bike rides in either configuration but as my 7 Pack is pushing 38lbs it is overkill for crosscounty.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
boone said:
It rocks my socks!
Best set up I have found in a while.
I am not certain about the geo. I wanted to get back to something like my old 5 spot but with more
beef up front and slightly slacker.

This is exactly what this set up is. Low, fast off the line and easy to take anywhere.
boone, are you running RFX or Spot chainstay?

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
SHAHEEB said:

What say ye homers?
The rockers do not change geometry. The seat stay however will lower the rear from a stock pack. Running the 5" fork in font should get you very close to stock pack angles, just a 3/4 - 1" lower bb.

Just for reference I ride a 06 pack with spot seat and chain stays..both sets of rockers. Fork is a Lyic (adj from 115 - 160mm) so I run essentially the same set up yoru asking about.

·
a tight kick sound
1,812 Posts
FM said:
Boone, whats your BB height with that set-up?

Shaheeb, dig the new haircut!

NYbike: I am using a full 5 spot rear end and rockers.

FM, Happy new year bro! The BB height is right about 14". Depending on where I measure it in my garage it is 14.1-14". If I could have this same set up with a lower Standover and lower seat tube I would be happy as all hell :) The TT length is great, DT and CS are great but it is just a little high overall some times. Not BB high but overall CG high...Does this make sense? I can really feel it in the corners where I wanna lay the bike over a lot. The seat at full bottom and TT are smaacking me in the leg way sooner that I expect every time. Maybe I need to shhut up and learn to ride too...I dunno :confused:

Anyway, it has not stopped me from riding it and loving every minute of it :thumbsup:
I will get used to it I am sure. Plus, the times I have those troubles are few and far between with this frame.

·
over my head
302 Posts
SHAHEEB said:

What say ye homers?
I think you are describing the "5 Pack". I picked one up this summer and it completely changed my enthusiasm for riding. best bike I hhave ever owned for aggressive xc / fr

·
Registered
636 Posts
I also have a HL 6 pack. I just put a Fox 140RLC on the front and have 5.5 rockers to add. From sitting on the bike with the new fork and 6" rockers, I say it feels nice. It's steeper, but if you do a lot of trailriding, it's nice. Hey can we start a Frankenhomers' sticky with set ups and pics? I'd love to see all of the variations out there.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Running an 01 RFX with 06 SS,CS& rockers. I noticed that the 06 chainstays are about a half inch longer. Unfortunately I havn't had the chance to ride the bike yet cause of the weather. It should be interesting to see how it handles compared to the old rear.
Oh yeah I've been running a 5inch Z1 qr20 on the front for the life of this bike with 6inch rockers the whole time. Rides great for all mountain/singletrack.

·
lurker
111 Posts
Sounds like You guys have tried every combination of front and rear triangle as well as rocker set up. I'm building a Med 2002 RFX. I have heard dropping the BB is as easy as changing out the 2002 rockers for the 2005.
Are the 5 spot, spot, push and six pack rockers all options for this frame?
THX

·
Hisforever
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
scoots said:
Sounds like You guys have tried every combination of front and rear triangle as well as rocker set up. I'm building a Med 2002 RFX. I have heard dropping the BB is as easy as changing out the 2002 rockers for the 2005.
Are the 5 spot, spot, push and six pack rockers all options for this frame?
THX
the 02 is a great bike set up at 5". I sold mine and missed it. I am basically trying to recapture that ride with a new one. the way is with 5" rockers and spot/flux seatstays, any of the ones you mentioned will work as far as I know. the 5.5 spot is the current model. Turner may be able to come up with an extra??? only they can answer. push 5.3"??, are aftermarket of course. the the original 5" rockers you will have to find in the black market.

maybe someone can back me up that all of these rockers will work with the classic rfx.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts