Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
a.k.a.-Cranial Disharmony
Joined
·
238 Posts
I'm 6' 220 and I ride a large 05 Prophet 1000. Got a Hügi FR rear hub and it's awesome. I ride aggressive New England trails. I do drops and hucks (<4ft) too - no problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
i was almost 230lbs on my large prophet 800 and i havn't had anyproblems yet. I am now down to 212 as of yesterday though!! I questioned the dealer on the spring in the lefty but he said the medium spring should be fine.
 

·
LA CHÈVRE
Joined
·
9,429 Posts
zr8tdk said:
i was almost 230lbs on my large prophet 800 and i havn't had anyproblems yet. I am now down to 212 as of yesterday though!! I questioned the dealer on the spring in the lefty but he said the medium spring should be fine.
Medium? Seems a bit soft for you, are you bottoming out often? Do you need to reset the bearings often too?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Dan Gerous said:
Medium? Seems a bit soft for you, are you bottoming out often? Do you need to reset the bearings often too?
i thought i posted to this but i dont see it on the thread/???

anywho...as to the bottoming out. I dont know if i am. with that much travel if i am using it all that means i am hitting something pretty big and not really paying attention how far my fork is going down (up) because i am hauling ass down hill. Is there anyway to gauge it? also i have no idea what resetting the bearings is or what it means. Should i be doing this? my cannondale dealer doesnt even work on the forks i dont think because i am in pa they just send them to c-dale and get them back in a day or 2.
 

·
LA CHÈVRE
Joined
·
9,429 Posts
zr8tdk said:
i thought i posted to this but i dont see it on the thread/???

anywho...as to the bottoming out. I dont know if i am. with that much travel if i am using it all that means i am hitting something pretty big and not really paying attention how far my fork is going down (up) because i am hauling ass down hill. Is there anyway to gauge it? also i have no idea what resetting the bearings is or what it means. Should i be doing this? my cannondale dealer doesnt even work on the forks i dont think because i am in pa they just send them to c-dale and get them back in a day or 2.
After some ride time, the Lefty's bearings tend to move on the races they roll on. This is often accelerated with very harsh riding and frequent bottom outs. What it does is actually reduce travel. You can check if you should reset yours by measuring the distance between the center of the wheel axle and the top of the lower fork crown, just below the headset cup. The measure should be 510mm...

The resetting is an easy thing to do, no shop needed, it can be done by most. Since I'm so lazy and that I have a million things to do tonight, I'll refer you to the Lefty Max manual, page 27 to know how to do it...

I'm saying all this because I have a Medium spring that behaves perfectly, gets me a good 25% sag but I weigh 170 (usually 160 but I'm working on that).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Dan Gerous said:
After some ride time, the Lefty's bearings tend to move on the races they roll on. This is often accelerated with very harsh riding and frequent bottom outs. What it does is actually reduce travel. You can check if you should reset yours by measuring the distance between the center of the wheel axle and the top of the lower fork crown, just below the headset cup. The measure should be 510mm...

The resetting is an easy thing to do, no shop needed, it can be done by most. Since I'm so lazy and that I have a million things to do tonight, I'll refer you to the Lefty Max manual, page 27 to know how to do it...

I'm saying all this because I have a Medium spring that behaves perfectly, gets me a good 25% sag but I weigh 170 (usually 160 but I'm working on that).
i give my manual a look see and see what i can come up with. I honestly got more manuals with this bike then i did when i bought my truck and motorcycle combined!! I need to take it in for the quad seal upgrade. Are there any upgrades i can do to the internals ( ti spring?) i will prob swap out for the stiffer spring anyway.
 

·
Cereal Killer
Joined
·
342 Posts
I'm 6'00", 235 lbs, and not a single problem with my 800. I've only done a few 1' to 2' drops, and it keeps right on going. I upgraded the fork to SPV and put the black spring (heavy?) in it, and no bottoming out whatsoever. When I still had the TPC, I had the brown spring in, and it rode great, just bobbed too much for my taste. You should be perfectly fine on a Prophet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
I'm 6'3" and was 250 when I first got my Prophet 800 (215 now). I don't really have any issues with it, but I'm probably bottoming it out. I'm like the other guy who posted, I don't realize whether or not I'm bottoming out because I'm paying more attention to what I'm doing. I do notice that I get a lot of bob when I stand to pedal up some climbs. This is my first full suspension bike so I don't know if that is normal or not. If you get that stronger spring how much should that run ya?
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top