Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just checked the forum and found some interesting threads regarding '05 Pikes having arch brekage issues. It seems like certain '05 models that have aluminum steerer tubes and waffle style arches have been prone to breakage. There have also been some talk about the breakage issues occurring in more aggressive riding circumstances.

If anyone has ever broken one, or otherwise has first hand knowledge of circumstances where these arches have broken, please speak up. I'd be interested in hearing about what conditions they broke under. I'd be intersted in the bike they were on, rider weight and what kind of riding was being done when the failure occurred.

For those who still run one of these forks with the aluminum steerer tube and waffle style arches, I'd like to hear your side too. Again, rider weight, bike frame, and riding style are what I'd like to know.

I'd like this information as I'm considering this fork for a future build. Yes, I know I can buy a newer model, but there is a reason I'd like to know about the '05 in particular.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
i have an 05 pike 426. it's been through hell and back. no problems whatsoever. i haven't heard about arches breaking at all.

i'm assuming that 454's and 426's share the same lowers, just different paint?

you must have a supercheap source on Pikes to be asking... :)

·
29er Geek
1,529 Posts
misctwo said:
i have an 05 pike 426. it's been through hell and back. no problems whatsoever. i haven't heard about arches breaking at all.

I just bought one from here, today...I love the new classifieds BTW.

'05 Dual Air Race for $270.00 shipped. I'm thankfull for a good price...I'll post pics when it comes in.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You know me well

misctwo said:

Thanks for the feedback. I don't plan on doing anything crazy withe the fork, just some typical AM stuff, but need to hear from people good or bad about their experiences. My criteria will be simple: 32mm stanchions, 20mm axle. Oh yeah, cheap too!

As for my source, I've been hunting as you know. I may or may not have a bead on a cheap one :thumbsup: It's more of a passive search and I'll pull the trigger when I get the money. I just want to cover my bases on any QC issues before I make any decisions.

Bob

·
29er Geek
1,529 Posts
Call_me_Clyde said:
Thanks for the feedback. I don't plan on doing anything crazy withe the fork, just some typical AM stuff, but need to hear from people good or bad about their experiences. My criteria will be simple: 32mm stanchions, 20mm axle. Oh yeah, cheap too!

As for my source, I've been hunting as you know. I may or may not have a bead on a cheap one :thumbsup: It's more of a passive search and I'll pull the trigger when I get the money. I just want to cover my bases on any QC issues before I make any decisions.

Bob
Is it blue?:D

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No!

It's not that one! It's another one!....Look..over there...Free Revelations!!!

I'm patiently waiting to see what happens.

Bob

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Whew!

tozovr said:
It's OK, I got one yesterday LOL....I do like the blue though!
I can stand down now..LOL Care to divulge your source? I'm still not set on buying, but as I said, keeping my eyes and ears peeled so that if the right deal comes along I can pull the trigger.

Bob

·
29er Geek
1,529 Posts
Call_me_Clyde said:
I can stand down now..LOL Care to divulge your source? I'm still not set on buying, but as I said, keeping my eyes and ears peeled so that if the right deal comes along I can pull the trigger.

Bob
Got it here on MTBR...the new classifieds (Love the new setup BTW). He was asking $270 plus shipping and I got it for $270 shipped. I knew what I was looking for and that seemed a fair price seeing as how I was outbid on one yesterday for $256 or so (Then I'd have to shiop it as well). So I spent less than I would have if I'd won on eBay.

In fact I see John watching this thread right now LOL!
RJ

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I bid

I'm staying on the conservative side. I have delusions that the penny opening bid will hang there for a bit and that there won't be a flurry on the back end :rolleyes:

RIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHT!

It will be interesting to watch. Like I said, I have time, but a NOS fork would be ideal.

Bob

·
29er Geek
1,529 Posts
Call_me_Clyde said:
I'm staying on the conservative side. I have delusions that the penny opening bid will hang there for a bit and that there won't be a flurry on the back end :rolleyes:

RIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHT!

It will be interesting to watch. Like I said, I have time, but a NOS fork would be ideal.

Bob
The one I bid on yesterday went from $200 to $232 about 5 minutes from the end...then to $256 in the last 5 seconds. I have an Auctionsniper program I use (yeah, I'm THAT guy...I try to be fair...I alway come in and bid early, but have my contingency snipe waiting in the wings LOL) and at least 2 other bidders were using them as well.

Good luck, that looks like a nice fork and could be a great deal.

RJ

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks

tozovr said:
The one I bid on yesterday went from $200 to $232 about 5 minutes from the end...then to $256 in the last 5 seconds. I have an Auctionsniper program I use (yeah, I'm THAT guy...I try to be fair...I alway come in and bid early, but have my contingency snipe waiting in the wings LOL) and at least 2 other bidders were using them as well.

Good luck, that looks like a nice fork and could be a great deal.

RJ
I use Bidslammer. Been burnt too many times by snipes in the past not to use it. All's fair in love, war and ebay auctions.

Bob

Anyone else have comments on the fork or breakage issues they'd care to share?

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm cryin', dude

Thanks for asking. I set my snipe for $250. It never even went, as the auction went past $250 long before the snipe was set to go. It went for $280. More deals will come. I do have time. :thumbsup:

Bob

P.S. Kinda good that the snipe never took, as I have an unexpected car repair bill. I'd be scrambling to pay for both and still have food until next payday (15th).

·
29er Geek
1,529 Posts
Call_me_Clyde said:
Thanks for asking. I set my snipe for $250. It never even went, as the auction went past $250 long before the snipe was set to go. It went for $280. More deals will come. I do have time. :thumbsup:

Bob

P.S. Kinda good that the snipe never took, as I have an unexpected car repair bill. I'd be scrambling to pay for both and still have food until next payday (15th).
I hear ya. As an aside, my Pike came today....not sure why he listed it as used...should have been AS NEW...unreal...thing is perfect....unfortunately, the bike it's going on is sold! Sold the trek liquid and just picked up this honey....2007 Rita (and to keep it on Topic, it has an '07 Rock Shox Reba 100mm :) )

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice looking ride

Bianchi makes a hell of a bike. Too bad nobody in the US sees their value. Enjoy the new ride!

Bob

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.