Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
05 nixon comp

has anyone spent time on this fork? it is the fixed 145mm coil, tpc model. my trails are east coast, rocky and rooted.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
noMAD man
12,210 Posts
That should be a decent fork. The TPC and not having the travel reduction makes it almost bomb proof. Just don't tighten the 4 axle pinch bolts too tight.

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
I bought an '06 Nixon Elite as a backup fork and must say that I really like the fork. Now mine has the TPC+ cart and the '05 has the TPC. I think you will be very happy with this fork.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am looking at the qr model... i am guessing the axle bolts are for the 20mm?

be350ka,
How does tpc feel and perform compared to tpc+? I don't think I am going to get to test ride this one. Have you ever ridden a manitou spv fork? how does it compare?

Thanks for the help

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
alxbrsk said:
I am looking at the qr model... i am guessing the axle bolts are for the 20mm?

be350ka,
How does tpc feel and perform compared to tpc+? I don't think I am going to get to test ride this one. Have you ever ridden a manitou spv fork? how does it compare?

Thanks for the help
I have never ridden the TPC versions, but I must say that my TPC+ rides like butter. I bought this fork to back up my Lyrik (that seemed to be a lemon) and was quite suprised with how smooth the thing is. I primarily use it for trail riding as my 66 sl is my heavier duty fork. Sorry I cant help you with the feel difference between the TPC and the Plus version. I would imagine that the TPC would work out just fine, but I have heard from others that have ridden both that they liked the feel and damping of the Plus much better. IIRC, the Plus version ramps up more as you get deeper into the travel which is a plus.

One thing to consider with the 05s is that they had travel issues. It seems that at full travel the tire was hitting the crown. So to fix this spacers were put into the fork that limited travel. I think some were saying that they were only getting like 135mm of travel on a 145mm fork. That kinds stinks. I think that the 06 was fixed and this was not a problem.

I have never ridden an SPV fork. It seems that it is a love it or hate it feeling. I have been exposed to other platform type designs and personally dont like the feel. I like my suspension to be completely active and tend to shy away from any SPV, Pro Pedal, Mission Control, etc.

If I were looking for a Nixon Elite, I would probably go with the 2006. Yes, it is more money ($60), but you are getting the upgraded damper and adjustable travel.

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
alxbrsk said:
sorry but in your previous post you said you had both tpc and tpc+
No, I said that I bought the 06 with the TPC+. I was just stating that the 05 differs in that it has the TPC.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I have been riding the '05 Nixon Comp for about a year now and LOVE it very much. It is a reliable old school fork in today's world of high tech gizmos. Six inches (after mod described below) of fixed coil travel with adjustable rebound and compression at 4.75 lb with a cut aluminum steerer (some Comps can be found with aluminum steerer instead of steel)--not bad.

The TPC works great on the trail. In the parking lot bouncing around you'll probably think it's going to bottom too easily but under way it never does (I don't know why). The fork rides super smooth and will make almost any rear suspension feel harsh by comparison (think floating on a cloud)--just keep the foam wipers oiled from time to time.

As to the travel fiasco of '05 here's the low down I got from Manitou before my purchase: After an initial production run their test riders were noting slight tire contact with the fork crown under max compression with large tires. Manitou's quick fix to appease the lawyers was to install spacers to limit travel just a bit until a permanent fix was implemented. Mid year in '05 they started using longer compression rods and thus the fork was set back to it's stated 145mm of travel. Long story short, if your fork has a sticker on the back of the legs at the bottom that says "Tire Clearance Upgrade Installed" (or something like that) then you are getting one with the longer rods and it will have 145mm of travel.

With the Nixon, to get max travel you must slam a bottom out bumper pretty hard so most of the time you'll get 135-140 untill you really smack something. The cool thing about these forks is if you are confident with your tire-crown clearance then there are some 5mm spacers under the bumpers inside the fork that you can remove to give you 150mm of travel! I think these were added to take up the extra length created by the longer rods and thus limit travel to the advertised 145mm of travel. I have been running mine this way for a year. I get 5.75" of travel pretty regularly and only hit the max of 5.9" (150mm) on a botched drop or such. Do a search as this topic has been covered in the past. I would say if you've got a good deal don't hesitate on this fork--it's worth it!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah I just bought one. I heard that they installed the "tire clearance upgrade" on the forks after having problems with the crown bottoming against the tire an launching the rider! that is kind of strange because the crown would have to pass the arch. what size tires do you run?

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
A guy I ride with has the bottom end Nixon, and judging from his fork, I think the "Tire Clearance Upgrade" is a taller bottom out bumper that dosn't let the fork get full travel. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I've got an '05 Nixon Elite with RTWD and have had no problems whatsoever after installing a heavy spring. The TPC is hands down better than the SPV Evolve I had on a Firefly+ but not quite as smooth as my Travis Single 150 with TPC cartridge +.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
lebikerboy said:
I've got an '05 Nixon Elite with RTWD and have had no problems whatsoever after installing a heavy spring. The TPC is hands down better than the SPV Evolve I had on a Firefly+ but not quite as smooth as my Travis Single 150 with TPC cartridge +.
yeah, TPC+ has very little compression damping until the floating piston bottoms, then it gives whatever resistance you set the adjuster to. There is actually a piston/shimstack that is active during the first part of the stroke, but it's set pretty light.

TPC compression works through the whole stroke. Not necessarily bad, some like it better that way (tunes out brake dive a bit better maybe).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts