Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
05 Marzocchi Marathon SL Long Story​
Last year I shattered both my ulna and radius. While in recovery I cleaned and lubed everything on my bike determined to get rid of a long standing squeak. The squeak turned out to be a cracked frame that Specialized promptly and happily replaced with an 04 Stumpjumper pro frame and Fox Triad shox.

Wow riding after breaking bones was different. Basically I rode like a wuss. After going over the bars a few times I hated my bike. It was heavy for a XC, and lacked the travel of a trail bike. The geometry called for 100 mm of travel in the front, but I was riding an 80 mm Sid race. Specialized said, "no problem". In their opinion it should "just" be a bit quicker up front. Well too quick for me!

With the help of this board I purchased an 05 Marathon SL. Not really wanting more than 100mm of travel I was worried it would only be a ton of money, another pound heavier, and still I would suck on the descents. It made all the difference in the world. The extra 1 - 2 degrees of slackened head tube angle is bliss. Tricky technical descends can know be relabeled as casual.

One warning the manual shipped with the fork is a nightmare. Save what you learned from this board.

Craig

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.