Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up a 05 Marzocchi DJ III off eBay for $200 and I just got it, it looks sweet.

I won't be able to ride it for about a month because my bike is in Australia and Im in the US on holidays.

I have heard a lot of people complaining about the weight of it.
Anyway question: Is this thing a boat anchor that wont let me bunnyhop or manual or are the people complaining about the weight just weight weenies. Im about 6ft tall and 150lbs.

Is this fork going to impair my ability to ride urban or will it be just fine?

Whats your opinion on this fork.
 

·
Portland, OR
Joined
·
3,112 Posts
very tall and crappy dampening. also they weigh more than my 7" DC fork. it wont affect your ability too much, you'll have to get used to 2-4 pounds of more weight on the front of your bike.
 

·
I post too much.
Joined
·
6,445 Posts
colourclassic said:
So I picked up a 05 Marzocchi DJ III off eBay for $200 and I just got it, it looks sweet.

I won't be able to ride it for about a month because my bike is in Australia and Im in the US on holidays.

I have heard a lot of people complaining about the weight of it.
Anyway question: Is this thing a boat anchor that wont let me bunnyhop or manual or are the people complaining about the weight just weight weenies. Im about 6ft tall and 150lbs.

Is this fork going to impair my ability to ride urban or will it be just fine?

Whats your opinion on this fork.
Yes it is heavy. People that complain about it's dampening forget that this fork is meant for one hit wonders, not chatter bumps. Some top out, all those I tried don't.

You'll be able to ride just fine, you'll get used to the weight just like you get used to a new bike, and will end up not noticing it. Don't worry about it and just ride it. I don't think it'll impair your riding in any way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
snaky69 said:
Yes it is heavy. People that complain about it's dampening forget that this fork is meant for one hit wonders, not chatter bumps. Some top out, all those I tried don't.

You'll be able to ride just fine, you'll get used to the weight just like you get used to a new bike, and will end up not noticing it. Don't worry about it and just ride it. I don't think it'll impair your riding in any way.
Okay, awsome. Maybe while Im in the USA ill load up on twinkies and ding dongs so i can get some more weight over the back wheel when i need it.
 

·
I post too much.
Joined
·
6,445 Posts
colourclassic said:
Okay, awsome. Maybe while Im in the USA ill load up on twinkies and ding dongs so i can get some more weight over the back wheel when i need it.
It isn't all that bad IMO. I can manual a bike with one of those pretty easily. If you find it hard well, you'll just get stronger, which is always nice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
colourclassic said:
Okay, awsome. Maybe while Im in the USA ill load up on twinkies and ding dongs so i can get some more weight over the back wheel when i need it.
What, they dont have Twinkies and Ding Dongs in Austrailia? WTF, that sucks.
 

·
destructionismyobjective
Joined
·
371 Posts
The fork sucks ass. I got suckered in and bought one. Its about as long as a dual crown about as heavy as one and to top it off its ugly. I decided to stick with my entry level stance.
 

·
destructionismyobjective
Joined
·
371 Posts
I rode it around the block. The fork actually didnt feel bad but my bike was raked out like a orange county chopper. If It was 65 or 80 mm fork and lost about 3-4 bs it would be nice. May work on a different bike but not mine. I hate the way the crown on marzs puts the stanhions in front of the head tube, its ugly. And if anything my bike needs to lose a few lbs not gain em. I like my stance scince I made the mods to it. I just wish I coulda figured that out b4 I spent the money on the dj3. I think the manitou forks have the smoothes tlook to em with the reverse arc. Not that looks matter that much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bitterrider said:
I rode it around the block. The fork actually didnt feel bad but my bike was raked out like a orange county chopper. If It was 65 or 80 mm fork and lost about 3-4 bs it would be nice. May work on a different bike but not mine. I hate the way the crown on marzs puts the stanhions in front of the head tube, its ugly. And if anything my bike needs to lose a few lbs not gain em. I like my stance scince I made the mods to it. I just wish I coulda figured that out b4 I spent the money on the dj3. I think the manitou forks have the smoothes tlook to em with the reverse arc. Not that looks matter that much.
What bike are you riding? The reason I went for the fork is because of the great reviews on mtbr. The manitou stance didn't have such great reviews; too soft and horrible seals. Not that I have anything against it, i just picked something that had a good overall rating.

Also, my bike is pretty much stripped, it's a SS, no front brake, alloy frame so the extra weight shouldn't hurt should it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,068 Posts
because they'll feel really heavy at first but then you'll get used to them . . .

probably.

I wouldn't know, I've got a 2003 DJ 2. Too bad I wasn't able to reduce it, cause then it would really be the sh!t.
 

·
mtbr remember
Joined
·
4,356 Posts
you spend $200 on ebay for something like this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Nemesis-Slammed...ryZ58085QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
sorry to rub it in...

too bad I don't have a round in my pocket, nor a bike that needs a fork at the moment.... got a short steerer too.

yeah, colourclassic, these same people that ***** about it being so heavy are usually the same people that turn around when you mention weight and say, "what does it matter, are you an xc weight weenie counting grams?" but I won't deny either, that fork you just bought is seriously near being one of the heaviest single crown forks, and tall too, but if you said you've lowered some in the past, I'd get on that and at least make it rideable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yea, I saw that nemesis, but the steerer was way short.

I'll either lower this or sell it and dump my mtb for a 24" cruiser, I can't afford anything more expensive than this fork, not now anyway.

If I decide to slam it, I'll put up a tutorial here so others can do the same.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top