Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an 05 Marathon XC with TST, ETA and TAS. I changed the oil before I installed it on my bike. All the features work, but it doesn't seem like the TAS is changing the travel from 100-120mm. I can only get 100mm from the fork. I followed the service instructions and put 40cc's in the right and 135 in the left like the manual specified. The ETA works, TST works, just not the TAS. I used 7.5 weight oil. I have the correct air pressure for my weight.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
535 Posts
When I had mine, after a rebuild, it sucked oil into one of the other chambers (the TST maybe?) and I couldn't get full travel with it. I had to pull it apart and completely rebuild it once more and I was good to go.

On a related note, I had tons of issues with mine (enough to get rid of it for a RS Revelation). Top out clunk, not holding air properly, etc.

700 Posts
wilsonblur said:
I bought an 05 Marathon XC with TST, ETA and TAS. I changed the oil before I installed it on my bike. All the features work, but it doesn't seem like the TAS is changing the travel from 100-120mm. I can only get 100mm from the fork. I followed the service instructions and put 40cc's in the right and 135 in the left like the manual specified. The ETA works, TST works, just not the TAS. I used 7.5 weight oil. I have the correct air pressure for my weight.

Any thoughts?
Hello,
The TAS adjustment is a mechanical adjustment which has nothing to do with oil height, weight or volume. Normally the TAS works without a problem. Without taking the fork apart I would first remove the adjuster knob and make sure the needle (that the knob is attached to) turns.
Other than that you would have to remove the entire cartridge from the fork and inspect the TAS mechanism.
Good luck,
Happy Holidays,
MTD

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Marzocchi Tech Department said:
Hello,
The TAS adjustment is a mechanical adjustment which has nothing to do with oil height, weight or volume. Normally the TAS works without a problem. Without taking the fork apart I would first remove the adjuster knob and make sure the needle (that the knob is attached to) turns.
Other than that you would have to remove the entire cartridge from the fork and inspect the TAS mechanism.
Good luck,
Happy Holidays,
MTD
Thanks I will give a look, it could be that I did not reinstall things correctly. Thanks I will play around with it. It worked before I changed the oil. I am the likely culprit on reassembly. Mark

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello,
Good luck,
Happy Holidays,
MTD
The knob is difficult to turn. I can feel it click just barely when I turn. Should I take it out and inspect it? I guess I can dissassemble it and clean it up.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Team Fubar Rider said:
When I had mine, after a rebuild, it sucked oil into one of the other chambers (the TST maybe?) and I couldn't get full travel with it. I had to pull it apart and completely rebuild it once more and I was good to go.

On a related note, I had tons of issues with mine (enough to get rid of it for a RS Revelation). Top out clunk, not holding air properly, etc.
Experience is a funny thing. I swore off rock shox years ago becuase they always lasted almost exactly 13 months, one longer than the warranty before catastrophic failures. In the circles I travel in the RS guys seem to have their forks in for service alot more than Marzzochi or Fox. I moved to Marzocchi and Fox and have never regretted it.

I find with Zokes, that its usually something I did during service that causes the problem.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello,
Good luck,
Happy Holidays,
MTD
I checked out the knob and the TAS works fine. I didn't understand how it worked I was able to reduce amount of stanchion exposed by 20mm. The fork was not achieving full travel but it had nothing to do with the TAS. I removed some fluid from the left stanchion and I am able to get 115mm now. There must have been fluid still in the TAS cartridge after I changed it or something. I pumped it until it wouldn't push any more out. It works great now. Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.