Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
No, that's not phonetic
Joined
·
14,313 Posts
Go to Jensonusa.com and they have pics and feature descriptions of the whole line. Heck, just click the "buy products mentioned in this post" link at the bottom of your own message...
 

·
Feeding your addiction
Joined
·
2,648 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,661 Posts
Please end the speculation, what's the axle to crown?

Larry, there has been all sorts of discussion on the Turner forum about axle to crown and that the Nixon would be a very short fork. Could you end the speculation and provide the real axle to crown length at full travel. Many thanks...

Ventanarama said:
Got a Nixon Elite in today, here's a pic.
Larry Mettler
http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
593 Posts
E-Z11 said:
If anyone has any pictures/info about manitou 05', PLEASE POST HERE!! :D
I have had the 2005 150mm w/Thru axle Firefly for about a month on my Bullit. I am riding at Snowshoe WV right now and they are really nice. Let's just say I am used to riding DC forks and these are really stiff. AC height is 21.5" and SPV evolve is so much better I love them.

Here is a pic after my first DH run yesterday morning.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
896 Posts
BanzaiRider said:
Larry, there has been all sorts of discussion on the Turner forum about axle to crown and that the Nixon would be a very short fork. Could you end the speculation and provide the real axle to crown length at full travel. Many thanks...
Check out the site mentioned above, it displays all of the manitou forks axle-to-crown heights.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
347 Posts
Will be getting my mm3 next week

getting my mm3 next week to replace my mm2. and will post weights and pics. Excited by the travel adjust...and very curious about the spv evole and small bump compliance. If it does what it says it does...might be the holy grail I have been searching for. :cool:
 

·
No, that's not phonetic
Joined
·
14,313 Posts
Hmmm... now who could that be for?

Oh, and please do measure A to C. That Steve Cramer page talks about " Ride Height: 510 Maximum " but not actual unsagged height. WTF?
 

·
Tame the Penguin!
Joined
·
1,082 Posts
Gee.....who could that be for? ;)

I already shipped the Nixon this morning for Larry and crap, I forgot to measure the A-C height. Sorry, I was in a hurry to get it out. It weighed in at 1920g without the lockout lever & cable, 1972g with.

Forgive me...I had a whole truck load of packages to ship this morning. :(

tscheezy said:
Hmmm... now who could that be for?

Oh, and please do measure A to C. That Steve Cramer page talks about " Ride Height: 510 Maximum " but not actual unsagged height. WTF?
 

·
No, that's not phonetic
Joined
·
14,313 Posts
Already sent it off, eh? I guess I won't get tooooo upset. ;)

4.3 pounds (1972g) uncut with all the bells and whistles and 4.2 pounds (1920) naked. That's pretty close to Manitou's target weight of 4.2 (1905g, dunno if that included the IT lever or not...).

Kewl.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
Larry shipped my Nixon Elite TA on Tuesday

CrashTheDOG said:
tscheezy, did you opt for the QR or 20mm dropouts?

Is the A to C the same on the Elite and the Platinum?
Larry shipped my Nixon Elite TA (pictured above) on Tuesday an should arrive tommorow at my work. I will put it on one of our analytical balances in my lab and measure the A to C as well. I am going to install it on 5 Spot during lunch and plan on riding it Sat. if all goes well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
Yeah that is pretty vague

tscheezy said:
Hmmm... now who could that be for?

Oh, and please do measure A to C. That Steve Cramer page talks about " Ride Height: 510 Maximum " but not actual unsagged height. WTF?
as I think they mean to say unsagged ride height...not that that makes any sense...we will see...Manitou told me specifically that the unsagged A to C is 510. If not, I shall be pissed. Being off in weight doesn't really bother me (aggravating but to be expected) but differences in dimensions would be absurd. Geometry matters more to me than weight (relatively speaking)
 

·
No, that's not phonetic
Joined
·
14,313 Posts
I got the QR. I have piles of expensive wheels laying around and I didn't want to render them all useless. Plus I ride like a sissy.
 

·
No, that's not phonetic
Joined
·
14,313 Posts
There is a limit to how low the A-C can be and still clear a tire. If the rim has a radius of 280mm, and the tire's diameter is 60mm (for a 2.3"), The crown is 25mm (1") thick, and travel is 145mm, that adds up to 510mm. So in that scenario, if the Nixon had a 510mm A-C, a 2.3" tire would rub the crown at bottom-out. It's just speculation and math on my part, but 510 seems WILDLY optimistic.

You aren't going to be negatively impacted either way with the Elite since it has the excellent Travel Wind-Down. If the front end does end up jacked too high, just lower it. It works well. You will still be able to max it out for bombing down Amasa Back in Moab. Ending up with a too-tall fork employing the Rapid Travel Adjust would suck though...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
That is a good way to think about it....

tscheezy said:
There is a limit to how low the A-C can be and still clear a tire. If the rim has a radius of 280mm, and the tire's diameter is 60mm (for a 2.3"), The crown is 25mm (1") thick, and travel is 145mm, that adds up to 510mm. So in that scenario, if the Nixon had a 510mm A-C, a 2.3" tire would rub the crown at bottom-out. It's just speculation and math on my part, but 510 seems WILDLY optimistic.

You aren't going to be negatively impacted either way with the Elite since it has the excellent Travel Wind-Down. If the front end does end up jacked too high, just lower it. It works well. You will still be able to max it out for bombing down Amasa Back in Moab. Ending up with a too-tall fork employing the Rapid Travel Adjust would suck though...
...I had not considered calculating it that way. However, Manitou says they measure A to C as the distance from the bottom of the crown, so that removes 25mm I think??? So then we would be talking A to C of 535 if we include the thickness of the crown. Or to say another way, 510 with plenty of room for the tire...510 -145 -280 = 85mm for tire. Make sense? I am not sure now.
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top