Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imagine getting a BRAND NEW Warrior SE in your Christmas stocking last year. Imagine riding it TWICE and having the derailer hanger twist off after two rides. Imagine having this happen to you SEVEN times between December 25th 2005 adn JUne 20, 2006. :madmax: That's my 15 year old son.
I bought the Warrior based on my love of my Hollow Point Expert. My bike has been bullet proof. Since we got the Warrior I've been in bike hell. Our LBS, Performance Bike shop in La Mesa California, has gone above and beyond in trying to get this mess right, but even THEY are getting frustrated. LOnger chain, shorter chain, adjustment. We even removed the big front crank thinking he was driving in "illegal" gears. Same result. Is anyone else having derailer hanger issues with this thing? Is it us? The frame is spotless. He hasn't had a chance to tear it up like I expected!!! I did this to hook my son on mountain biking. Right now he's so pissed I'm having a hard time getting him to believe it'sworth the effort.:madman:

·
Registered
261 Posts
05 warrior se

Hello, I recently got this bike, and gotta say I love it !!
I have only had it about 3 weeks, and its been bombproof !!
I have been hitting 4 to 5 ft drops with ease !!
I took it to my local trail and cleaned a section I always walked before.
The only problem I have encountered with the rear derailleur is it seems to stick out more than a shimano unit.
I had a stunt go bad and endo'd it !!
The bike came down hard on the derailleur side, it did'nt break the hanger, but its not shifting too good now.
In my opinion to break the hanger, the rear derailleur would sustain some pretty noticeable damage !!
Is your son trying some jump or stunt and not landing it ??
I had a schwinn rocket 88 as my last dually, and it either had way too much bounce, or rode like a hard tail, this design pedals great, I don't notice any bobbing while pedalling.
I hope you can get it straight, its a great bike that is worth upgrading as his skills increase.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Warrior SE

Nope, no stunts. He'd like to, and I see him poppin wheelies and pulling manuals, but he doesn't get teh chance to jump anything. The derailer isn't torn up and the bike hasn't got any damage on it indicating he's crunched it. I've gotten an e-mail from another rider who's having the same issue. Sucks

·
Banned
217 Posts
The only way for your dilema is rider error. There are no 'explosive bolts' to contend with. IronHorse's products are top. If you live where pines/furs/maple trees habitat, then you obviously have branches to contend with. I wasn't riding for 20 mins until I snapped off a long cage up north. This was not my bike. When manipulating a trail bike, you've a defensive and offensive on the trails. Your son isn't yelling 'Geronemo...' as he enters the trails, is he???

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
noodleman said:
Imagine getting a BRAND NEW Warrior SE in your Christmas stocking last year. Imagine riding it TWICE and having the derailer hanger twist off after two rides. Imagine having this happen to you SEVEN times between December 25th 2005 adn JUne 20, 2006. :madmax: That's my 15 year old son.:
One possibility is he's shifting the gear and back peddling prior to the chain transfer. Not trying to be funny could be accidental.

Further explanation:
To see what happens change the gear a couple of clicks (to the smaller gears) with the bike not moving then VERY LIGHTLY try and back peddle it by hand. You will see the chain is locked up by the position of the derailleur in relation to the gear. Now at this point the chain will probably come off of the derailleur cog (completely locking the derailleur) and forward peddling would then produce enough torque to severely twist the derailleur and hanger.

Be careful to extend the arm of the derailleur out (to aid the chain in returning onto the derailleur cog) then shift it back into the position you started at. NOTE: DO NOT try and forward peddle it back into position.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.