Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All. I was pretty stoked last week, all I had left to purchase for my MKIII build was a crankset. So I took my frame to a local shop to have an Enduro bearing kit put in and to have my new headset/fork/stem put in. Got a call a few days later saying frame was cracked. After calling a couple more local shops that are Iron horse dealers, this is the consensus I got.
1. a MKIII frame of my vintage will always break where mine broke. After a year of "Hard" riding or a couple years or medium riding.
2. the 07 updated MKIII frames will also crack, but in a different place.
3. Iron horse is currently going through some business issues, and as such a warranty claim if I can get it together might take a long time.
Note... this info came from a shop that is an Iron horse dealer, and has IH bikes on the sales floor. MKIII's, 7points, azures, etc. not "bargain" bikes.
The crack is in the weld on the drive side vertical support piece/tube. I'll update with a photo after I go pick the thing back up tomorrow.

What's up with this? Has anyone else had frame warranty issues? Also, sonce this was an ebay purchase from almost five months ago, I fear I may be screwed.
The other thing my wife thought of was that maybe the shop I took it to broke it and is now saying that I brought it to them broken. I have to doubt that since this shop is Moutain bike specific, and deals 99% with full suspension bikes.

any advice would be appreciated. I'm still waiting to hear from the seller of the frame. So if anyone needs a 21" 05 MKIII front triangle i may have one for sale pretty quick. Also, a 2007 fox float R 140mm fork
Thanks, Mike.

·
My gloves stink
1,508 Posts
Not a common problem

MTG, on this forum you can find extensive discussions of every flaw of the Mk3, especially the 05 Mk3, since it had flaws aplenty. But in all the discussions I don't recall any stories about the 05 rear triangle cracking, or the 07 for that matter. (There was plenty of griping about rear end flex. It turns out the the rear wheel was, for the most part, the culprit). My 05 rear triangle never cracked and I put plenty of hard miles on it. I replaced it with an 07 because I wore a groove in the non-drive chainstay from tire rub due to wheel flex. The new triangle is fine so far, but I don't have nearly the miles on it.

I know a guy who might have a spare rear triangle. I'll ask him if you want. Better yet, but a lot more expensive, would be to get a new 07 rear end from IH.

All the flaws in the older Mk3's can be easily addressed and believe me, the bike is worth going thru the hassle to fix it. Once you work thru the problems you'll be glad you stuck with it. She's a sweet ride.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Frame trouble update

Hello. Appendage, thanks for the reply. I found it really odd that an Iron Horse dealer would say negative things about their products. If they've seen them break though, who knows?
Also, if you could contact that person and see if they have a spare rear triangle, that would be really cool.
I'm also working with the guy I bought it from, I have an e-mail in to Iron horse, and I'm going to call a local dealer tomorrow and have them call Iron Horse and see what they can find out. There is a shop here that has a used 07 frame for a pretty decent price, but I'm not sure if it's my size. Also, if none of this works out, I guess I'll have a 21" front triangle up for grabs if anyone is interested.

·
My gloves stink
1,508 Posts
Sorry, MTG, no luck rustling up that spare for you. Fear not, IH will get you up and running again.

·
Black Lion
4,431 Posts
I broke an 05, 06, and the updated 07 rear end in that exact spot on every MK3 that I rode.
It is in fact a known flaw in the bike.

Your mileage may vary
The good news is that IH customer support is solid.

·
Advanced Slacker
15,410 Posts
yogreg said:
I broke an 05, 06, and the updated 07 rear end in that exact spot on every MK3 that I rode.
It is in fact a known flaw in the bike.
I guess that explains the custom color of my rear triangle.

Attachments

·
Advanced Slacker
15,410 Posts
yogreg said:
Yours was swapped just because, not for a break. That was the only frame that did not have a break from our shop.
yogreg said:
So, you didn't break every frame in that spot?

FWIW, I really don't care why the triangle on this particular one was replaced, it looks cool:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've followed this thread with interest as I've discovered a crack in the swinging arm of my 07 MkIII over here in the UK. As mine was also an eBay purchase I fear I'm similarly screwed as is MTG. Mine has gone just above the weld between the chain stay and upright - I understand this is the same spot as yours?

I've posted a couple of pics here - Does this look like yours MTG? Would be interesting to see your pic if you can upload it.

I've had no help from the importer, buts it gives hope if "IH customer support is solid" but not so good if they have "business issues" - Are they likely to go t*t's up then?

The general quality of the frame seems fine and I see no reason why there should be a flaw here, but I'm no metallurgist. The only negative comment I've had from the trade is that the paint finish on Iron Horses isn't great.

Has anyone tried getting a weld repair done?

Has anyone had any success claiming under the 5 year warranty for this model for cracked frames? If so, it might be worth my while contacting IH direct and bypassing my UK importer.

Any other helpful suggestions or anecdotes.....?

Thanks,
Alan

Attachments

·
Advanced Slacker
15,410 Posts
alan.green said:
I've followed this thread with interest as I've discovered a crack in the swinging arm of my 07 MkIII over here in the UK. As mine was also an eBay purchase I fear I'm similarly screwed as is MTG. Mine has gone just above the weld between the chain stay and upright - I understand this is the same spot as yours?

I've posted a couple of pics here - Does this look like yours MTG? Would be interesting to see your pic if you can upload it.

I've had no help from the importer, buts it gives hope if "IH customer support is solid" but not so good if they have "business issues" - Are they likely to go t*t's up then?

The general quality of the frame seems fine and I see no reason why there should be a flaw here, but I'm no metallurgist. The only negative comment I've had from the trade is that the paint finish on Iron Horses isn't great.

Has anyone tried getting a weld repair done?

Has anyone had any success claiming under the 5 year warranty for this model for cracked frames? If so, it might be worth my while contacting IH direct and bypassing my UK importer.

Thanks,
Alan
This is seriously depressing me:bluefrown:

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
alan.green said:
I've followed this thread with interest as I've discovered a crack in the swinging arm of my 07 MkIII over here in the UK. ...

Thanks,
Alan
PM CarlE. He works for IH and is the man you want to contact for help.

I believe welds can be repaired or beefed up. But the heat treating would be lost and would have to be redone. By the time you are done, it might have been better(cheaper) just to buy a new rear triangle.

·
Registered
466 Posts
MTGseattle said:
Hello. Appendage, thanks for the reply. I found it really odd that an Iron Horse dealer would say negative things about their products. If they've seen them break though, who knows?
Also, if you could contact that person and see if they have a spare rear triangle, that would be really cool.
I'm also working with the guy I bought it from, I have an e-mail in to Iron horse, and I'm going to call a local dealer tomorrow and have them call Iron Horse and see what they can find out. There is a shop here that has a used 07 frame for a pretty decent price, but I'm not sure if it's my size. Also, if none of this works out, I guess I'll have a 21" front triangle up for grabs if anyone is interested.
i have a 06 21' expert(blk) perfect cond 450.00 + shipping

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
frame complete again.

Hello. Frist to Alan green. Yes, that crack is almost exactly the same spot where mine was, I also had a second crack down closer to where the linkage attaches as well.
Thanks to Appendage for looking. And to BOB loblaw for offering that spare. I was able to work with the seller of my frame to get a warranty 07 rear triangle. Turn around was crazy fast as well. Two weeks total from my door to my door. I didn't think it would be that quick though, so I found a super deal on a different frame and got that built up in the interim. I'd lov to build the MKIII and try it out, but that would mean buying another fork, as the head tubes are a couple inches different. So, I guess I have a 21" 05 front with a never ridden 07 rear that could use a new home.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.