Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'd start with the crankset. You can get Race Face Evolve or Turbine LP's from pricepoint for cheap...just depends on how much you want to spend. I would wait on everything else until it broke.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Tires are by far the most noticable upgrade.
You don't say whether you race, but if so, light wheels would be worth it too.
Fork - I'm not sure the exact specs for the OEM Splice, but since the FSR is a great suspension design, and yours comes with a Propedal rear shock, the stock fork is the weak link (save up for a Minute, or Vanilla/Float/Talas or Black or Reba or ...)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Rob Munro said:
I ride XC trails, intermediate to expert 99% of the time. So far the FSR XC Comp has been excellent in every respect. Now, being the tinkerer that I am, I'm thinking of upgrades. what components would you upgrade first, and which components would you choose? (think mid-range as far as budget)

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=9676&bikeTab=techspec
If you are looking to loose some weight, the following is what I recommend,

UST Wheels and UST Tubeless Wheels, you will loose a lot of wait there. I'm currently running Crossmax SL with Michelin XCR dry( this tires are good only in dry conditions)

Crankset, upgrade to Race face or Shimano XT integratted bottom bracket.

Stem, Crossbar. Got to something light.. I'm using the Easton Stem and Monkeylite Low Rise Carbon riser bars,

Pedals, if you can afford them Crank Brothers Ti, Twin Ti or Triple Ti .

And last but not least your seatpost, my bike came with a Thompson, awesome seatposts , consider the Masterpiece setback or the Elite Setback.

Thants what I upgraded on my SJ120 PRO..

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
Not a whole lot...

I'd start with pedals. Throw some TIme Atac's or Crank Bros Candy's

Then simple things that go fast. The headset for sure. Something inexpensive but reliable with sealed bearings like a Cane Creek S-2 or above.
The BB won't last long either. You can find XT UN-72 square taper BB's for dirtcheap and they are really bullit proof and relatively light. No point in upgrading the entire crankset right away, it's fine.

Price Point has a great deal on Easton MG60 stem and Monkey Lite riser for 89 bucks. that combo weighs about half of the stock setup and will look really cool too! Maybe a Thomson layback seatpost?

Other than that, the wheelset at some point. The stock set is fine, but will need to be trued in the first hundred miles, at least mine did. I'd move up to something like XT hubs on Mavic 223. You can find those on closeout all over for pretty cheap, 120 or 130bucks or less on Ebay.

The headset is the most important replacement right away, no point in waiting for it to blow.

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
I'd throw a Reba on there for sure. 120-130mm gets to be too much travel for this bike, but with a Reba at 110 or 115, it would slacken up the steering just enough to make it not so twichy at speed and downhill, but still really responsive for the singletrack, plus just a better fork all around.

Yeah, and go tubeless. Stans No-tubes is pretty sweet stuff. I like the stock tires, but if you change it up, go to the Roll-X Pro. Those are flippin' awesome.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Handlebars and stem. The combo suggested by mattsavage would be a nice upgrade.

The stock saddle is also pretty heavy. I run a WTB Pure V Stealth that is at least 1/4 pound lighter. Perhaps swap out the seatpost- Thomsons are nice but their layback actually puts your saddle in about the same position as the stock post because the clamp is not set back. They are also kind of spendy.

Wheels- get the lightest ones you can afford. Weight saved off the rotational mass makes a bigger difference than elsewhere on the bike.

Go to a 2.2-2.4 front tire. I really like the WTB Mutanoraptor 2.4, light at about 600 grams, but not a true 2.4. If you ride on really rocky trails it might not be the most durable, but very fast rolling and good grip.

The Reba would be a great upgrade too, but obviously a bit spendy.

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
riverrat said:
The Reba would be a great upgrade too, but obviously a bit spendy.
But, in the world of forks, the Reba is one of the most sensible and affordable upgrades out there, unless you buy second hand.

·
Banned
6,057 Posts
Ditch that Fork!!!

Rob Munro said:
I ride XC trails, intermediate to expert 99% of the time. So far the FSR XC Comp has been excellent in every respect. Now, being the tinkerer that I am, I'm thinking of upgrades. what components would you upgrade first, and which components would you choose? (think mid-range as far as budget)

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=9676&bikeTab=techspec
I test-rode the XC when I was bike shopping - that squishy-a** OEM POS Splice was the reason I went for the fsr Comp - for the cost of replacing the Splice on the XC, I figured I might as well "buy up" and save myself the trouble.

Manitou Blacks are good, sturdy mid-priced forks. They come in a lot of different configurations, so you can pick yer poison! :cool:

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
Drewdane said:
Manitou Blacks are good, sturdy mid-priced forks. They come in a lot of different configurations, so you can pick yer poison! :cool:
The Black is a sweet fork. That's what I've been riding on my Dakar Pro for two years. I only recomend the Reba over it due to the Reba's Motion Control valving, which would match the Pro Pedal shock. But if that's not too big of an issue, get an 03 Black Elite 100/120 at GreenfishSports.com An incredible fork for $189.00! It's pure after market, not OEM. TPC+, alloy steerer, 4.2lbs....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.