Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
mad aussie
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my search for a new fork for my 'spot, I think I might go with the new Vanilla (keep my ninja clan membership). I am undecided whether or not to go with the R or RLC. My current RLC gets some nasty compression spiking on some fast descents. I believe that they have fixed that problem. I dont know if having the compression adjustment is worthwhile, my current one doesnt do much (read anything) from full in to full out and I dont ever use the lockout.

·
jra
423 Posts
Flying Wombat said:
On my search for a new fork for my 'spot, I think I might go with the new Vanilla (keep my ninja clan membership). I am undecided whether or not to go with the R or RLC. My current RLC gets some nasty compression spiking on some fast descents. I believe that they have fixed that problem. I dont know if having the compression adjustment is worthwhile, my current one doesnt do much (read anything) from full in to full out and I dont ever use the lockout.
I'm supposed to be getting one next week. It'll be the 130RLC disc only. If I went with the "old" Vanilla 125, I'd have gone with the "R" based on the feedback everyone has given. I really wanted to hold out for the '05 Zoke All-Mountain, having had great luck on my last few Marz, but it won't be out for 2 to 3 months or so.

Rumor has it (from Fox unfortunately) that the previous compression shortcomings, etc. have been rectified...we'll see. I'd really like to have a functioning compression adjustment. I don't think I'll ever use the "L". Too bad they don't make an "RC".

In case you haven't seen it, the 2005 sales pitch reads as follows:

"Travel has increased to 130mm. All '05 Fox Forx have the NEW SLIM damper (R, RL, RLT, RLC). The R and RL-RLC models have new tapered star ribs on the Rebound Adjust knobs. All the forks have lost a tiny bit of weight and inevitably have changed color and now sport different graphics too.

New slim damper cartridge: "even smoother, consistent damping by eliminating cavitations; lighter weight, minus 30 grams; wider, linear adjustment range, on compression, rebound, and threshold, which allows a ProPedal setting on RLT and RLC models." it says here

New damper shaft, new seal head: "damper shaft made out of hard anodized 7075 aluminum (lighter weight); new seal head, super slippery bushing for less friction, better sealing and increase durability."

New spring compression shafts: "new negative springs (smoother action, no noise); 7075 Aluminum shaft for less weight (minus 24 grams); improved low-speed compression range on RLC models. "

New lower castings: stiffer; designed for 8"/203mm DH Disc brake compatibility; Disc only forks get 40 grams lighter."

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
Flying Wombat said:
In my opinion, if you're not going to use the lockout it's not worth going up that much in price just to get the compression damping adjustment. I'd recommend the R. I'll post pics and weights of some of the 05's on the shocks forum tomorrow.
Larry Mettler
http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Give some serious thought to this......

Flying Wombat said:
I would seriously consider buying a current 04 Vanilla 125, only because PUSH will have the fox fork kit ready to sell in a few weeks I am told. I dont know what I can say here, I have not been in here much lately to know weather PUSH has actually released info to the general public on this yet. But I will barely touch on it, so as Derrin described it to me, the PUSH Fox fork kit will make the 04 Vanilla into the fork it should be, and the word is the testing results are waaaay overwhelmingly positive. Keep in mind, though I like Fox forx generally, the company likes to abuse the marketing department they have, basically not entirely living up to their claims. I hope they managed to get the 05 Vanilla better for production than the prototype I rode back in March, it was quite disappointing. Just some food for thought, and hopefully Fox has stepped up and actually done some real world changes this time around for the Forx.

·
Registered
265 Posts
DGC said:
I would seriously consider buying a current 04 Vanilla 125, only because PUSH will have the fox fork kit ready to sell in a few weeks I am told. I dont know what I can say here, I have not been in here much lately to know weather PUSH has actually released info to the general public on this yet. But I will barely touch on it, so as Derrin described it to me, the PUSH Fox fork kit will make the 04 Vanilla into the fork it should be, and the word is the testing results are waaaay overwhelmingly positive. Keep in mind, though I like Fox forx generally, the company likes to abuse the marketing department they have, basically not entirely living up to their claims. I hope they managed to get the 05 Vanilla better for production than the prototype I rode back in March, it was quite disappointing. Just some food for thought, and hopefully Fox has stepped up and actually done some real world changes this time around for the Forx.
Hey DGC, any chance that PUSH is also planning on modifying '04 Float forks?

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
For the '05, I'd go RLC. If it's '04 or before, the the R would make sense.

The compression in the pre-2005 forks was worthless. I was testing the compression setting on the '05 forks and it really does change noticeably. I still think that the L is useless, but I don't believe that you can get an RC version.

Also....The '05 130mm [email protected] is smooth. I couldn't believe how good it felt....and I don't like air forks usually. It looks like maybe F0x is getting their sh1t together.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
no idea

lushmd said:
Hey DGC, any chance that PUSH is also planning on modifying '04 Float forks?
I have no idea, maybe call them or drop them an e-mail about that.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
All Vanillas?

DGC said:
Will the push mods be avaialble for the R RL and RLC?
grazie
Davide

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
Davide said:
Will the push mods be avaialble for the R RL and RLC?
grazie
Davide
The Push upgrades for Fox forks are going to be for an RLC. Rebound is improved with 2 stage piston (separate slow and high speed rebound damping), the compression knob controls platform and the lockout will turn the platform on and off. Of course, it will all be special tuned for your weight and all. Darren is working on getting the RLC top cap from Fox so he can mod the R and RL models as well. The Fox damping sides are almost identical with the exception of length so I'm pretty sure the mods will be available for Vanilla, Float and TALAS.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Homebrew said:
The Push upgrades for Fox forks are going to be for an RLC. Rebound is improved with 2 stage piston (separate slow and high speed rebound damping), the compression knob controls platform and the lockout will turn the platform on and off. Of course, it will all be special tuned for your weight and all. Darren is working on getting the RLC top cap from Fox so he can mod the R and RL models as well. The Fox damping sides are almost identical with the exception of length so I'm pretty sure the mods will be available for Vanilla, Float and TALAS.
Sounds very nice, thank you. Since I do not have the FOX yet and I am thinking to pick one up now that price is dropping, I wonder if it is at all risky to get an R. I mean, what if the RLC top cap will not be available!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts