Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
the older ones ate through transmissions fyi but yours being an 05 you should be fine

and driving a similar small suv (chevy blazer) i would opt for a hitch rack, i have one and it doesn't really cut my already lowish mpg, where a roof rack definitely would

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
Trailfreak said:
So I'm looking at an 05 ford escape 2 wheel drive. anyone out there use one, and do you have a yakima roof rack on it?
I've got a Mariner and use a Yakima rack roof rack on it. I had the Low Rider mounts from my old Outback so it was a no-brainer to put it on the Mariner. The only problem is that it is really tough to get bikes on/off the middle two trays on the rack. I throw a small step ladder in the truck when I ride with more than two people. If you are used to SUVs with roof racks, or if you don't ride 40+ pound bikes, this may not be as big of an issue for you.

I would like to buy a hitch mount in the medium term though--that will be much easier than using the roof rack, and it will be better for the MPGs.

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
Trailfreak said:
Thanks for the reply, what kind of gas milage are you getting. I'm looking at a receiver hitch more than a roof rack.
Sorry about the delay--I don't come over to the car forum very often...

I get about 31mpg with bikes on the roof, but we've got the hybrid version. It is my wife's car and she does a lot of short drives so our lifetime average is a relatively low 28.1mpg. Our best tank so far was 35.1mpg.

I think a hitch mounted rack is a better idea than a roof rack.

·
Registered
24 Posts
sramski said:
I really like mine. I have an XLT with the 6 banger. MPG on the highway is about 23 1/2 . Around town only about 18-19. I carry my bike on a hitch mounted Swagman. No complaints.
Ditto on the highway mileage. If I really slow it down I'm able to see 25. But I am curious as to how you're able to squeeze 18mpg out of it around town. I have an 05 Limited V6, with AWD, and around town I'm only able to get about 16. All in all though, the Escape is a great small SUV. One of the best driving positions I've ever sat in (you'll know what I'm talking about if you have driven a lot of different vehicles). It does it have its quirks though. Like, what kind of vehicle newer than 10 years old doesn't have a thermometer?

·
Registered
84 Posts
ok your lack of city mpgs is the AWD, it likes to eat gas, FYI :) is it an ok vehicle, maybe, but I would never buy one (i drive an SUV, a little larger one tho, mine is a dodge durango) and i can get 17 around town ina 4800lb (empty) v8 SUV, and about 21-22 highway, its all in driving and options (mine is 4x4 part time NOT AWD).

the roof racks WILL have a noticable effect on gas mileage, the hitch racks(if you have a hitch) will (most likely) not be noticable, but keep in mind it is a ford, and we all know what ford means right?

(Found On Road Dead :D hehehe j/k but it is funny

·
I ride a kids bike!
8 Posts
If you are asking about the vehicle itself, I would not get it. I have a coworker who has an '04 and it has been through three (!!!) transmissions in 120,000 miles.

On the other hand, my 2003 CR-V with 80K has needed nothing but cheap regular maintenance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.