Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a difference in the frames on these two bikes as far as geometry angles. I am not talking about the sx modle but the sx trail. If the enduro expert or sx trail is just a diff spec. shock and fork, and groupo. Can one get a coilover for the reg. enduro instead of the 5th element air. I like a coil rear shock. I have ridden the fox 36 and was very impressed. I want a bike that is about 32 to 34 lbs for trail riding, 4 to 6 foot drops. I need to know what size yall would recomend, Medium, or a Small. I am 5'9, 165 lbs, short torso, longer legs, and want a bike that can handle hard riding. I was looking at a medium Heckler that fits perfect with the short top tube and the medium kona coiler dee lux, also fits well, and rides very light. I just need to ride one but what are yall opinions?
Thanks M.C.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The Geometrys for all bikes is listed on the website...both bikes have a 68.5/69.5 head angle. I'm riding a s-works enduro with a fox 36 and I am pushing my riding much further because the bike is so comfortable at speed and in the air. 4-6 footers should be no problem considering your size. The regular enduros are right around 31-32 lbs. The 05 frames are much stronger than the old enduro's and feel lighter on the trail...except maybe at the top of a longazz fireroad climb in the mud;) Also, I'm on a large, I'm 6'1,186lbs with long arms and short legs...it is a little too big for me but the medium was too small.

M.C. said:
Is there a difference in the frames on these two bikes as far as geometry angles. I am not talking about the sx modle but the sx trail. If the enduro expert or sx trail is just a diff spec. shock and fork, and groupo. Can one get a coilover for the reg. enduro instead of the 5th element air. I like a coil rear shock. I have ridden the fox 36 and was very impressed. I want a bike that is about 32 to 34 lbs for trail riding, 4 to 6 foot drops. I need to know what size yall would recomend, Medium, or a Small. I am 5'9, 165 lbs, short torso, longer legs, and want a bike that can handle hard riding. I was looking at a medium Heckler that fits perfect with the short top tube and the medium kona coiler dee lux, also fits well, and rides very light. I just need to ride one but what are yall opinions?
Thanks M.C.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I got myself an Enduro Expert a couple of weeks ago for the things the Demo 9 was overkill for. I wouldn't worry about the air shock, I'm 250lbs and after one ride I'm not worried in the slightest.

I'm 5'10 and got the medium, feels about perfect for me. I have a small Demo, but its too small for anything besides DH really (but thats what it was bought for!).

·
Registered
978 Posts
tshred said:
The Geometrys for all bikes is listed on the website...both bikes have a 68.5/69.5 head angle.
I don't think the data on the website is correct. On my S-Works Enduro, the geometry data printed on the frame is different from the website. Evenmore, the Marz 66 fork is about 5cm (2inch!!) longer than the Fox 36, so the head/seat angles could not possibly be the same.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont know if this has been asked before but can you put a 5th element coil or other coil over shock on the pro or elite. I know the sx trail has one with the weird resivor but does it need to be that particular one or can you put a regular coil 5th, dhx5 or swinger on it. I like the coil over feel as oposed to air. This is the only change to the bike that I would do to it, seeing that the rest of the specks look good. Can you get the green color on the pro or expert. Also What is an S-Works, (Marketing hype, or real difference). Oh and a lexan bash gard. The fox 36 is a very good front shock, I got to ride on another bike. It is the only air front shock that I actualy like.
Thanks,
M.C.

·
Stand back
4,213 Posts
sposed to be the same

M.C. said:
I dont know if this has been asked before but can you put a 5th element coil or other coil over shock on the pro or elite. I know the sx trail has one with the weird resivor but does it need to be that particular one or can you put a regular coil 5th, dhx5 or swinger on it. I like the coil over feel as oposed to air. This is the only change to the bike that I would do to it, seeing that the rest of the specks look good. Can you get the green color on the pro or expert. Also What is an S-Works, (Marketing hype, or real difference). Oh and a lexan bash gard. The fox 36 is a very good front shock, I got to ride on another bike. It is the only air front shock that I actualy like.
Thanks,
M.C.
Frame geometry is supposed to be the same. Different forks will change the headtube angle (obviously). From what I've heard, the SX trail is a heavier frame than the regular enduros/ S-works, and mounting a coil shock on an those that come w/ an air shock will void the warranty. The SX trail is also a limited production bike, and most shops I've talked to will only order them if you plan to buy.

·
Who are the brain police?
10,112 Posts
zonostar and dbabuser said this already, but I'm chiming in just to back up what they said. A coilover w/ nullify the warrantly on all the enduros except the sxt. *However if you speak with a Spec rep, they'll tell you the frames are the same (this doesn't make any sense.. I'm inclined to think there has to be a difference). And there's no way the sxt has the same geometry as the others since the 66 is so tall. --It does come with an alternate shock mounting, so you can quicken the steering up a bit. -I'm saving the slacker mounting for when I go for DH shuttle runs (which happens 2-3 times a year).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Locoman are you sure that you can not put a coilover shock, even the one that is made from progressive for the enduro, which is on the sx trail, your saying that Specialized will void the warranty if you put The Coil over onto the Regular Enduro. Even though The frame specs on the two are the same, per brochure. Also, Spec. is saying there is NO diff. between the 2 frames. I can't be the only one who wants a coil over on this bike. I do not want a 38lb bike. The only thing I want to change is the rear shock. The rest of the bike seems to be beefy enough for the type of riding I want to do. If this is true, this really sux. Locoman you might be right but I really hope not.
Thanks for the replies yall,
M.C.

·
10,112 Posts
What's up? Yeah, they said the frames are the same and the coil nulls the warranty on the enduros besides the SXT..

Why don't you give 'em a call, toll free 877-808-8154. Warning though I've called 3 times. The first time I got right through, the 2nd and 3rd times the phone rang for 5 hours. I just sat at work with speaker phone on and listened to crappy music all day. No lie.

Ask them 1) Does the coil null the warranty on non SXT enduros? 2) Do all the enduros have the same frame?

I asked these two questions and got yes and yes, but never called them on the fact that this contradicts each other..

*Post back if you get an answer...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Locoman,
I just spoke with Jeff @ Specialized and he said," putting the coil over 5th will not void the warranty". I dont know who he checked with but he confirmed it with someone there. He said that I would have to get it through my shop. I am a very happy man now. This is going to be a kick ass bike! Have you seen the green enduro? IF so does it look good or like poo.
I just hope my local bs will swap the 2 out with maybe a little diff. in price. Anyway I hope Jeff has the right info. and this really does not effect the warranty. Ive heard good things with spec. cust. serv.
Take care,
M.C.

·
10,112 Posts
Good news! -But I wonder why they would have told me different? Maybe because I didn't specify it would be a 5th coil over?? ..Weird.

The new enduro real nice. You're gonna love the bike. And the warranty department is great from what I've heard, but they have got to get their act together on the phone...

BTW, here's the green ano frame from their website. Nice color, but does it look green to you??

Attachments

·
Stand back
4,213 Posts
green is good

Locoman said:
Good news! -But I wonder why they would have told me different? Maybe because I didn't specify it would be a 5th coil over?? ..Weird.

The new enduro real nice. You're gonna love the bike. And the warranty department is great from what I've heard, but they have got to get their act together on the phone...

BTW, here's the green ano frame from their website. Nice color, but does it look green to you??
The green ano is good when you see it in person, but if you're inclined to get the fox 36, i'd recommend the brownish ano, as it (and possibly white) are the only two colors that go remotely well w/ the trashbag brown of the 36.
So wonder how much it costs to buy a 5th coil via Specialized?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
dbabuser said:
The green ano is good when you see it in person, but if you're inclined to get the fox 36, i'd recommend the brownish ano, as it (and possibly white) are the only two colors that go remotely well w/ the trashbag brown of the 36.
So wonder how much it costs to buy a 5th coil via Specialized?
Yes - the green does look much better in person - more green than the pic shows. I think the 36's brown looks good with the blue color of the Expert, which I am picking up next week, btw. This will make four brand new Specialized bikes purchased in the last 8 months by me. Don't tell anyone....

·
Stand back
4,213 Posts
congrats!

.thumper. said:
Yes - the green does look much better in person - more green than the pic shows. I think the 36's brown looks good with the blue color of the Expert, which I am picking up next week, btw. This will make four brand new Specialized bikes purchased in the last 8 months by me. Don't tell anyone....
cool, Grant. So the bighit isn't the holy grail trailbike I was thinking? ;)
Sounds like we're gonna have to make some rules about what bikes folks bring on rides. Something like a 7" or 36 lb minimum when I'm on the 7 Point.... :p

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
i have a feeling that the headtube could come off the SXT with that 66 in the front, idk why it seems kindda short but i think it shall hold and btw i'm having a struggle between the SXT and the norco six. help me with the two bike and why.

·
10,112 Posts
FWIW, the sxt has the exact headtube as the demo.. its the last place I expect trouble on this bike. The six looks like a great bike. My final two were the sxt and the six. I might have bought the six if my lbs carried them.. but I spent my lunches drooling over the sxt.

The only negative thing I've every heard about the six was something about a rear tire clearence issue. Is this still the case w/ the '05s? For all I know this has been worked out. I'm running the stock 2.4's on the sxt and there's room to grow.. only I don't think I'd really need to put a larger rear tire on, but I like the room for mud clearence..

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am looking at the Enduro as a replacement for my current bike. I am 230 and 6ft and am punishing my current ride an ETSX from rocky. What are your opinions about the use of this bike as a sturdy trail bike from the pedaling standpoint. I rode one and was impressed with the way it pedaled. Is it suited for use as an all day bike.

·
10,112 Posts
I'm using it as an all day bike. I've been very impressed with the way it pedals. I've made the climbs that were tuff for me on my sub 30lb. xc bike.. but I have to admit the climbs were slower (than on my xc), since it weighs 40 lbs.

I was worried at first about the uphills and if the bike was "too much bike", but neither is an issue.

I don't race and I wanted a sturdy bike that I could start hitting larger drops with and not worry about things breaking. I'm 200lbs and 5'10".

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
dbabuser said:
cool, Grant. So the bighit isn't the holy grail trailbike I was thinking? ;)
Sounds like we're gonna have to make some rules about what bikes folks bring on rides. Something like a 7" or 36 lb minimum when I'm on the 7 Point.... :p
Yup - the BigHit isn't the do-it-all. I'm planning on racing mountain cross and Super D this year as well as DH and the enduro should be a great SD bike and a good MX bike on MX courses that are too rough for my P.2. I should be ready for just about anything this year.

I'm heading to Moab for the weekend while I pick up the Enduro from Mojo Wheels on the way. Breaking it in on something down there should be fun!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.