Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wandering what yall thought about me waiting for the new Nomad from Santa Cruz to come out later this year. I have a short torso, so a smaller top tube fits me well. Actually a 22.5 inch tt is perfect. Anyway, I wanted a bike for later this summer. I have been waiting for 2 years to get the Heckler. Money ya know! I have always wanted a heckler, until I rode a Kona Coiler. Wow that bike is great but I want a bike that is around 32lbs to 33lbs. not 36 or 37lbs. The type of riding that I do is mostly trail with 3 to 6 foot drops. Will learn to Jump doubles soon. I already know how to jump, just not that well off of dirt type jumps. I just got a good spec on a new Enduro. The bike rides good. The price is on the High side, but it is with the Sx trail frame. I found out about the specs on a Medium Nomad that will be written up in MBA and they seem perfect, or close enough to it. Should I wait some more and possibly try a Nomad IF my shop gets one when they are released to the public so I can make a comparison or just get the Enduro. This Enduro frame might not be available when the time that the Nomad is. I cant wait to read what R.C. had to say about the Nomad. One other thing, I have not ridden a VPP before. Are they really that good or just Hype. The Nomad will be a one of a kind until Intense comes out with theirs.
Thanks M.C.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gez, have you had any hesitation within the travel rang. I saw the VPFree and it looked really solid. It was right next to the enduro that I rode.VPF Kind of dwarft it. Like I said I know I need to ride one "nomad", but it stinks that I might have to go without a dully another summer. Might have to anyway, my wife is having twins in about a month. How long have you had your free for? I was really hoping SC was gonna come out with a design close to the Heckler but in a vpp. I cant say the Nomad looks that great but if it rides great that is what I am looking for and reliability.
Thanks, M.C.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
M.C. said:
gez, have you had any hesitation within the travel rang. I saw the VPFree and it looked really solid. It was right next to the enduro that I rode.VPF Kind of dwarft it. Like I said I know I need to ride one "nomad", but it stinks that I might have to go without a dully another summer. Might have to anyway, my wife is having twins in about a month. How long have you had your free for? I was really hoping SC was gonna come out with a design close to the Heckler but in a vpp. I cant say the Nomad looks that great but if it rides great that is what I am looking for and reliability.
Thanks, M.C.
For the type of riding you describe ie: "trail with 3-6ft drops" the VPF is totally over kill. You can easily get away with a trail bike with 5" of travel. This whole huge travel deal is getting out of control now.

I have owned a Heckler and it can easily handle a 6 footer and is a great trail bike. I weigh 215lbs and ran the 5th element coil and never bottomed it if I was going to tranny. That is with 5" of travel btw.

The new Enduro would be more than enough bike for you for trail and light freeriding. The new frames are beefy with 6" of travel and I prefer the FSR rear suspension as it easily out performs vpp for small bump absorption and has less brake jack.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Gez & VPfree said:
No hesitation when you break the platform it goes down than right back up, The Nomad might look ugly but I don,t care. I've got a Foes Fly I'll sell for a nomad
Gez do you think VPP design will handle technical track ( root, rocky steep ) better than a bike like Foes Fly? I'm crazy about new NOMADS , I'm think selling my brand new Foes INFERNO to buy a NOMAD!!

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
The new SC frames aint cheap either, the new Blur LT is going to be around $1500-1700.00, so the new Nomad should be around that $1700.00+ range.

How about a Turner 6 Pack? My small frame has a 22.5" top tube, and weighs less than 33 pounds (currently) and should have no problems with the drops you ride.

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
ronny said:
For the type of riding you describe ie: "trail with 3-6ft drops" the VPF is totally over kill. You can easily get away with a trail bike with 5" of travel. This whole huge travel deal is getting out of control now.

I have owned a Heckler and it can easily handle a 6 footer and is a great trail bike. I weigh 215lbs and ran the 5th element coil and never bottomed it if I was going to tranny. That is with 5" of travel btw.

The new Enduro would be more than enough bike for you for trail and light freeriding. The new frames are beefy with 6" of travel and I prefer the FSR rear suspension as it easily out performs vpp for small bump absorption and has less brake jack.
smack dab on it, ronny. good stuff.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I freeride, jumps, drops,downhill & alittle urba n.The vpf is notbetter than the fly it's 4.5lbs lighter, that weight makes a difference when your climbing from jpl to upper merrel.Keep the inferno why downgrade? It's suppose to be one of the best aggress trail bikes.As for to much travel ,that will be up to you & what kind of riding you do.Lite fire roads &lite freeriding go with 5" :eek: I started off with 6" doing fire roads & easy single trk but got more aggressive. In less than 2 yrs. I went from 6" to 8.5" & bottom it out at 170lbs.If you think you are going to ride more aggress. later than get something a little more travel. Small bump complient? Stable platform shocks & forks I don't think so. :rolleyes: Just ride a little faster :p By the way " Just Shut Up and Ride :p

·
6'4"-6'9" with the afro
194 Posts
My 2 Cents...

FINALLY got my '05 Enduro Expert about a month ago. I am a clyde that rides up every foot I ride down -- so I don't exactly fit the profile of the type of riding you are describing (no big drops, for example). Nevertheless, I can't say enough about the Enduro. I ride in AZ w/ lots of nasty rock gardens and the Enduro plows through them. I am finding that I have to develop new lines down the trails I used to ride on my old steed. I don't have to pick and choose my way around stuff, instead I skip over most of it I am going so fast. I look way further down the trail to anticipate turns rather than immediately in front of me to anticipate obstacles. Going up I am actually able to clean more sections than I used to. I'm guessing this is largely due to the higher BB and wider tires. It does lag on the long, non-tech uphill sections (the Enduro is 5 lbs heavier than my old bike), which is not an issue to me anyway because I am usually bringing up the rear riding w/ my 150# buddies (down is another story).

·
Registered
356 Posts
Gez & VPfree said:
I freeride, jumps, drops,downhill & alittle urba n.The vpf is notbetter than the fly it's 4.5lbs lighter, that weight makes a difference when your climbing from jpl to upper merrel.Keep the inferno why downgrade? It's suppose to be one of the best aggress trail bikes.As for to much travel ,that will be up to you & what kind of riding you do.Lite fire roads &lite freeriding go with 5" :eek: I started off with 6" doing fire roads & easy single trk but got more aggressive. In less than 2 yrs. I went from 6" to 8.5" & bottom it out at 170lbs.If you think you are going to ride more aggress. later than get something a little more travel. Small bump complient? Stable platform shocks & forks I don't think so. :rolleyes: Just ride a little faster :p By the way " Just Shut Up and Ride :p
Gez & VPfree , thanks for yours atention , my big concern is about : Inferno's rear wheel will arc forward , NOMAD's rear wheel will arc backward . i ride very nasty rocky narrow tracks inside rain forest here in Brazil , those are really wild , low speed , close to unrideable . in that field wich one will do better job? INFERNO 1" more travel is worth against NOMAD VPP design less travel but " more efficient"? ps; sorry about my bad english. :cool:

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have no experience with the VPP bikes but I love my Enduro and I loved my previous Enduro's. I just raced the Firestone DH on my '05 and it holds it's own against a lot of big bikes I've owned. I am still learning more about this bike every time I ride it but the more I learn, the more I love it. Get one, they are the best do-it-all bike ever made IMO and I've owned plenty.

·
Registered
84 Posts
mentawais said:
Gez & VPfree , thanks for yours atention , my big concern is about : Inferno's rear wheel will arc forward , NOMAD's rear wheel will arc backward . i ride very nasty rocky narrow tracks inside rain forest here in Brazil , those are really wild , low speed , close to unrideable . in that field wich one will do better job? INFERNO 1" more travel is worth against NOMAD VPP design less travel but " more efficient"? ps; sorry about my bad english. :cool:
Hey mentawais,single pivot vpp design has a problem of locking up when braking hard on rocks,it's not real bad but you can still feel it. The inferno with the floating break & the extra 1" would be better. :cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.