Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought an 05 enduro comp earlier this year...after fumbling around and trying to get used to it, i really regretted buyin the bike, which was alot for me ($1600)...the front fork was a nightmare and then the rear shock went stuck down...and i just kept the thing in a bakc room and kept riding my old bike

in the meantime i bought an 05 manitou flick+ 150 mm fork, the plan was to upgrade my old bike and figuire what to do with the spesh later...then one day i put the new 150 mm fork on the enduro just for kicks since i got my shock back...and voila, the bike felt right!

i really thought that the increased height of the fork would be wrong but i was amazed at how good the bike geometry feels now, it's near perfect for me...now i'm kicking myself i didn't do this sooner, i was even contemplating giving it to my brother as a brithday present..

the other critical modification was a new handlebar that is 27 inch wide, the stocker is a handcuff..

the next thing i need to do is get a better shock, but i can now ride the bike fulltime, and sent my old bike to the back room..

i'd recomend to anyone to get a 150 mm fork, it kind of makes sense now that i get a realistic 130 mm of travel...with a 130 mm fork, it seemed like i was only getting 100 mm travel

anyway, long soliloquy, but i'm a happy camper and had to share

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Similar thing here. One of the guys at the shop has a Heckler. He had a 130mm TPC+ Firefly on it. That fork was down for a long overdue service which needed an ordered part, so I loaned him my 150mm Flick+. He liked the increased travel, the head angle tweak, and the increased ground clearance. He bought the fork from me and sold his old Firefly. I think there are lots of 5" or so bikes that perform quite well with a 6" fork. It obviously won't work on all of them, but apparently it will for many. Glad yours worked out.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jeppe said:
the 05 Comp is the old model with 5" of travel. I have one with 178 mm and I love it!
man, that looks like a greaat bike, picture doesn't do justice though...hey what kind of fork is that and what srping weight are you running on the vanilla coil

sweet bike

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hmmmm.... tough question, since I don't have the shock anymore. The original Float has an eye-to-eye lenght of 7,625", which I believe is a non-standard lenght. I think the Vanilla was 7,875". It's hard to tell what it did to the geometry, since I had more sag than I do on the Float. But the difference is so small, that it doesn't effect the geometry enough that you'd notice. Besides....the Boxxer changed it a lot more. ;)

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
fsrxc said:
The nice thing is the Flick+ still has a 110mm? travel setting for a decent climbing position.
i've never used the 110 setting and prolly never will...i can still climb in 150 mode, we've got an iwo jima hill here that i can get up alright even with a 32T chainring

it's a great fork

·
Ride Hard, Ride Free
427 Posts
adamantane said:
i bought an 05 enduro comp earlier this year...after fumbling around and trying to get used to it, i really regretted buyin the bike, which was alot for me ($1600)...the front fork was a nightmare and then the rear shock went stuck down...and i just kept the thing in a bakc room and kept riding my old bike

in the meantime i bought an 05 manitou flick+ 150 mm fork, the plan was to upgrade my old bike and figuire what to do with the spesh later...then one day i put the new 150 mm fork on the enduro just for kicks since i got my shock back...and voila, the bike felt right!

i really thought that the increased height of the fork would be wrong but i was amazed at how good the bike geometry feels now, it's near perfect for me...now i'm kicking myself i didn't do this sooner, i was even contemplating giving it to my brother as a brithday present..

the other critical modification was a new handlebar that is 27 inch wide, the stocker is a handcuff..

the next thing i need to do is get a better shock, but i can now ride the bike fulltime, and sent my old bike to the back room..

i'd recomend to anyone to get a 150 mm fork, it kind of makes sense now that i get a realistic 130 mm of travel...with a 130 mm fork, it seemed like i was only getting 100 mm travel

anyway, long soliloquy, but i'm a happy camper and had to share
As soon as I purchased my 05 Enduro, I put my Z150 on it...what a difference...I also recently replaced the rear shock with a Fox DHX Air 5.0 (7.875 i to i)...bike feels so well balanced. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
fr-rider said:
As soon as I purchased my 05 Enduro, I put my Z150 on it...what a difference...I also recently replaced the rear shock with a Fox DHX Air 5.0 (7.875 i to i)...bike feels so well balanced. :thumbsup:
nice, any issue mounting that shock..i'm trying a vanilla coil in the rear right now...that stock float r is basically a dog's squeeze toy

any pics?

·
Ride Hard, Ride Free
427 Posts
adamantane said:
nice, any issue mounting that shock..i'm trying a vanilla coil in the rear right now...that stock float r is basically a dog's squeeze toy

any pics?
Only issue I had was the pro pedal knob barley touching the frame, so I filed it down approx. 2-3mm.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.