Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I"m picking up an 05 Dakar (base model, the blue one) for my wife. I know its got some lower end parts on it and is a tad heavy, but are there any owners of this model out there that have any imput for me. I might swap a few things out to bring the weight down some, because the 17" did weigh 32 pounds, which is alot for my 125lb wife to push around. She is sold on the fs though because of the comfort and the kind of riding we do. Any input or suggested mods would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
79 Posts
nice starter fs bike for her, she'll love it, I know my wife does as I bought a 13.5" for her end of season and was thinkin the same as you and I immediately started looking at ordering light seatposts, headsets, etc but my shop told me the following, though I may be off on the order of recommendations.

worry less about full weight and more about efficiency first. Better tires would be a first priority as the ones it comes with suck horribly since they have absolutely no traction. A better rear air shock with some form of pedal platform and a better front fork with some adjustability would be next priority. Also throw on some disc brakes sooner rather than later. These are the things she would notice and would help the most. Next maybe a new rear mech and or better hub and wheelset. Once you do this replace other parts as they break or as you get extra cash to start shaving weight.

For my wifes we started with tires and disc brakes. I'm lookin at rear air shock once the season starts in spring and I've paid off my Moment. I'm considering swapping the Marz EXR Pro fork from my 05 Norco charger as a temp upgrade till we figure out something better.

Hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts