Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Same here, very interested in a ride review.
If possible, please share your set up details:
Your weight, the spring rate, how many turns of preload on the spring, amount of sag you're running, and if you set it up for trail riding (wheels on the ground,) or bigger hits, and drops.

I'm real interested in how this works out, because I knew the vanilla would probably "fit," but the people at PUSH ind. advised against it because of the linear nature of the Reign suspension.

Looks good! - now get out there and ride it, a little rain never hurt anyone! ;) :D

·
Registered
884 Posts
umbertom said:
why would PUSH advise against a coil shock on a linear rate suspension bike? thanks
The Reign has a very linear rate suspension, so it relies on the bottom out resistance of the shock. Now even the swinger 3 way has problem with bottoming out on the Reign, and it is an air shock which should naturally be somewhat progressive at the end of it's travel.

Coil shocks tend to be even more linear than air shocks - not always - but generally. The vanilla is in this case.

This is the exact reply I received from PUSH:

"That bike requires a 7.875" x 2.0". Also, a coil shock wouldn't be recommended due to the linear linkage rate that bike has. We actually install an additional bottoming bumper in the air shocks for that application in order to help out with bottoming. Best option would be the Float R."

Now don't get me wrong, I think a vanilla may work for some riders on the Reign - for a light rider, with a "wheels on the ground" riding style, it could prove to be very smooth and supple - but you must be aware of the fact that there is little bottom out resistance.

·
CURB HUCK!!!!!!
492 Posts
deoreo said:
The Reign has a very linear rate suspension, so it relies on the bottom out resistance of the shock. Now even the swinger 3 way has problem with bottoming out on the Reign, and it is an air shock which should naturally be somewhat progressive at the end of it's travel.

Coil shocks tend to be even more linear than air shocks - not always - but generally. The vanilla is in this case.

This is the exact reply I received from PUSH:

"That bike requires a 7.875" x 2.0". Also, a coil shock wouldn't be recommended due to the linear linkage rate that bike has. We actually install an additional bottoming bumper in the air shocks for that application in order to help out with bottoming. Best option would be the Float R."

Now don't get me wrong, I think a vanilla may work for some riders on the Reign - for a light rider, with a "wheels on the ground" riding style, it could prove to be very smooth and supple - but you must be aware of the fact that there is little bottom out resistance.
makes sense, thanks
but now if you were to install a progressive titanium spring... :thumbsup: lol
I look forward to what you have to say about it, mzungo

·
May contain nuts
2,445 Posts
umbertom said:
makes sense, thanks
but now if you were to install a progressive titanium spring... :thumbsup: lol
I look forward to what you have to say about it, mzungo
There is no such thing as a progressive coil spring. Coil springs are by definition linear i.e. they exert the same amount of compression resistance throughout their range of movement. :madman:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Haggis said:
There is no such thing as a progressive coil spring. Coil springs are by definition linear i.e. they exert the same amount of compression resistance throughout their range of movement. :madman:
Fox may not make a progressive rate coil spring for that particular shock, but there are plenty of progressive rate springs for other applications.

Just one example:

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=39068

I don't see why it can't be done for a bike spring.

·
CURB HUCK!!!!!!
492 Posts
Haggis said:
I was under the usumption that this was a progressivly would coil spring? isn't?

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Haggis said:
not true.

stratos makes progressive springs for their rear shocks and have since they came on the MTB scene years and years ago. i don't know if they will fit other manufacturer's shocks though...

stratos
click on mountain bike > products > shock accessories..

·
Registered
219 Posts
I am surprised that PUSH would say not to use a coil...they can simply tune the damper on a coil shock accordingly and make it more progressive and/or add a larger bottom out cone. I mean thats what their tuning service should be able to do

True the Reign may be linear...but there is alot of single pivot bikes out there than run coils and single pivots ( i.e. Bullits, Orange 222/223 etc, Hecklers, etc) are essentially falling rates and have used coil shocks with a fair amount of success.

I presonally plan to slap a Vanilla on my Reign and have Push tune it accordingly

·
Motion activated
3,258 Posts
auntesther said:
I am surprised that PUSH would say not to use a coil...they can simply tune the damper on a coil shock accordingly and make it more progressive and/or add a larger bottom out cone. I mean thats what their tuning service should be able to do

True the Reign may be linear...but there is alot of single pivot bikes out there than run coils and single pivots ( i.e. Bullits, Orange 222/223 etc, Hecklers, etc) are essentially falling rates and have used coil shocks with a fair amount of success.

I presonally plan to slap a Vanilla on my Reign and have Push tune it accordingly
In theory, I guess Push should be able to tune the progressiveness of a Vanilla R in a similar manner to the Float, but then again they are two different shocks and maybe the tuning options/parts are not there. Perhaps push doesn't make a huge bottom out bumper for the Vanilla due to lack of demand etc..... just a guess. Hopefully I'm wrong and they can tune it like a float.

Linear suspension gets the job done for the most part, but I'm really sold on the way the Reign ramps up with the pushed rp3. It handles (more stable HA and BB height) and suspends like a whole new bike.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.