Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard any news (more than "wish list rumors") re: the '05 Blurs? Will they be "certified" for forks over 100mm? Any other changes?

What about suspension... Is SC shipping '05 Fox forks, or still in-stock w/ '04s??

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Wheez - New Blurs are *mostly* shipping with the updated swingarm - Disc Only & Greatly Improved tire clearance - up to 2.5. And coming with Float RP3 shocks as well as the 5th Air as an option.

Don't know about the 105+ mm fork thing, guess I'll have to ask the boy's at SCB.....

·
Registered
294 Posts
what about the travel have they upped it to 5''? 5'' front and back would be the way to go and it seems that everyone else has already gone there or is doing so for 05.

they are obviously going to release a mid travel VPP soon and seeing as they always future-proof themselves by about an inch and a half it will bound to be in at 6.5''. Therefore the blur really wants (needs) to be at 5''.

just a theory, but we shall see.....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Seems to be a mix

Wheezer said:
Has anyone heard any news (more than "wish list rumors") re: the '05 Blurs? Will they be "certified" for forks over 100mm? Any other changes?

What about suspension... Is SC shipping '05 Fox forks, or still in-stock w/ '04s??
I recieved a white, XL '04 Blur XT package about a month ago (after about a 10 week wait) and it came with: what I think is an '05 Fox F100RLT fork (no caliper brake bosses), a 5th Element shock (that needed to be replaced due to faulty valve stem me LBS thinks - thanks LBS) and an '04 rear triangle (has caliper break bosses) and Bontrager rims (don't get why they did that!). I've read in other posts where people are getting the new rear triangle without bosses and more tire clearance. So, it looks like they're sending what they can get their hands on.

Stinky

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I phoned SC, and here's the scoop. They don't really call them "'05's," but pretty much every Blur that's shipping these days have the updated swingarm with no V-brake bosses, and clearance for 2.5" tires. (There are a few of the "'04" versions shipping on less-popular colors; not sure which...) Other than that, no changes. No changes in the front triangle, so forks >105mm are still not "authorized." ...But he said he runs one with no problems (but also isn't worried about his warranty!)

Also, polished frames are backordered 'til XMAS. :mad: (Orange it is, then.)

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Wheezer said:
I phoned SC, and here's the scoop. They don't really call them "'05's," but pretty much every Blur that's shipping these days have the updated swingarm with no V-brake bosses, and clearance for 2.5" tires. (There are a few of the "'04" versions shipping on less-popular colors; not sure which...) Other than that, no changes. No changes in the front triangle, so forks >105mm are still not "authorized." ...But he said he runs one with no problems (but also isn't worried about his warranty!)

Also, polished frames are backordered 'til XMAS. :mad: (Orange it is, then.)
Let me get this right......The guy at Santa Cruz told you that >105mm forks are not authorized, but then he told you that he runs a 5" fork on his?

Talk about mixed messages. So what's he saying?......Go ahead and run 5", but if it breaks, you're SOL? Wow.....That's like admitting that the bike is better with a 5" fork....crazy.

·
Tear it all out!
7,739 Posts
Probably depends on what you are doing with the bike.

I have a Talas fork on mine, and find I prefer the 4" setting. In fact I've only ridden the bike once at 5" (steep technical rock in Arizona).

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
CraigH said:

I have a Talas fork on mine, and find I prefer the 4" setting. In fact I've only ridden the bike once at 5" (steep technical rock in Arizona).
I know a couple of people running 5" forks on their Blurs. One guy, in particular, got a great deal. He got his Blur with a 5" fork BEFORE Santa Cruz decided to not allow 5" forks. The result is that he runs a 5" for and the bike retains it's full warranty. He runs a Talas in 5" mode all the time.

So....How do you thing SV will handle BLur owners that Run a Talas? If the bike breaks near the head tube, you just know that the owner will say they were riding it in the 4" mode. I thought that Santa Cruz does not currently even allow the use of a Talas on the Blur.

·
Tear it all out!
7,739 Posts
Even if I have to buy a front triangle, I'd guess that SC will charge a reasonable price for it. (I bought a Bullit front triangle from them in the past through their crash replacement program.)

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Good Point

CraigH said:
Even if I have to buy a front triangle, I'd guess that SC will charge a reasonable price for it. (I bought a Bullit front triangle from them in the past through their crash replacement program.)
I didn't think about that. The SC crash replacement program. That's a very viable alternative. Run a 5" fork and in the off chance that it does break......use the program.

I like it!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hate to say it but the Blurs head angle is too steep with anything over 4"
I ran a Minute 1(100mm-130mm) on it and found that it was ridiculously squirelly in the front on anything over 100mm.
Add to that the short top tube and it gets ugly.
But whatever,...

·
Registered
17,165 Posts
poopsoup said:
Hate to say it but the Blurs head angle is too steep with anything over 4"
I ran a Minute 1(100mm-130mm) on it and found that it was ridiculously squirelly in the front on anything over 100mm.
Add to that the short top tube and it gets ugly.
But whatever,...
What??? Do you mean too shallow with anything over 4", or too steep with anything under 4"? Please clarify.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Do you like your Talas on the Blur?

CraigH said:

I have a Vanilla on my Blur, but am thinking about upgrading to a Talas. Do you like yours?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Wheezer said:

I got my Blur in July and it came with on '05 Fox 100RLT fork.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
EJBlur said:
I got my Blur in July and it came with on '05 Fox 100RLT fork.
The last major change for the Blurs was the new swingarm that had more clearance for the rear tire. Does your Blur have that swingarm?

I thought that the '05 Fox Forx came out before the swingarm change by SC.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts