1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 888RC
2005 Shiver
That fork to choose for Santa Cruz V10?
Don`t know what to buy because both forks I like and didn`t tested. On one hand, 888RC is in "recommended list" for V10 (on SC site) and on many pictures V10 is equipped with 888RC, boxxer WC or Dorado. On the hand Shiver really looks fantastic.
By the way is ot possible to apply "THE" fender to Shiver?

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
VENOM[BLADE] said:
2005 888RC
2005 Shiver
That fork to choose for Santa Cruz V10?
Don`t know what to buy because both forks I like and didn`t tested. On one hand, 888RC is in "recommended list" for V10 (on SC site) and on many pictures V10 is equipped with 888RC, boxxer WC or Dorado. On the hand Shiver really looks fantastic.
By the way is ot possible to apply "THE" fender to Shiver?
Both great forks you won't lose with either, but you will have to spend extra dollars on the lower crowns with the 888....My vote is the Shiver of course but you will have to decide....Here is an ol V-10 with a shiver

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Having actually ridden a 2005 V-10 with an 888 on it, I recommend the 888 with stock crowns. Santa Cruz bikes already have low bottom brackets. The Shiver or the 888 with lowrider crowns will make it even lower, so you will hit it on obstacles unless you stay on smooth trails. Plus the bike feels very balanced with a 888 on it.

Yes you can put a THE fender on a Shiver. I have one on mine. Get the Dual Sport model, not the DH -- Dual Sport plastic is much thicker and harder to break.

·
Uhhhhh...
2,894 Posts
watermoccasin said:
Having actually ridden a 2005 V-10 with an 888 on it, I recommend the 888 with stock crowns. Santa Cruz bikes already have low bottom brackets. The Shiver or the 888 with lowrider crowns will make it even lower, so you will hit it on obstacles unless you stay on smooth trails. Plus the bike feels very balanced with a 888 on it.

Yes you can put a THE fender on a Shiver. I have one on mine. Get the Dual Sport model, not the DH -- Dual Sport plastic is much thicker and harder to break.
I disagree completely. A stock 888 on an old V10 would be horrible, huge BB height and unrideably slack for most people. My new V10 with a 888 and flat crowns is still slack and has about a 15" BB, which is high, and i ride rocky ****. Were talking about race bikes, not FR bikes, the lower the better.

Dankizzle-i would love to try a DH40 on my V10.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks watermoccasin, but I already have DH fenders:)) Thanks for you recommendations.
What do you think about this: many famous bike producers use 888 for their bikes as a stock (Kona, Specialized) and don`t use Shiver. That seems curiosly to me besides of all pictures of new V10 on most of them V10 is represented with 888RC. (888RC also is in "Recommenended list" for V10 on Santa Cruz site) Somehow that stops me from buying Shiver. What advantages Shiver has?
On Marzocchi site it is written that 05 Shiver is in anodized black color. I think it will better look with anodized frame.
P.s. SHIVER ME TIMBERS thanks for the picture

·
Uhhhhh...
2,894 Posts
VENOM[BLADE] said:
Thanks watermoccasin, but I already have DH fenders:)) Thanks for you recommendations.
What do you think about this: many famous bike producers use 888 for their bikes as a stock (Kona, Specialized) and don`t use Shiver. That seems curiosly to me besides of all pictures of new V10 on most of them V10 is represented with 888RC. (888RC also is in "Recommenended list" for V10 on Santa Cruz site) Somehow that stops me from buying Shiver. What advantages Shiver has?
On Marzocchi site it is written that 05 Shiver is in anodized black color. I think it will better look with anodized frame.
P.s. SHIVER ME TIMBERS thanks for the picture
First off, if you live in the USA, you'll have A LOT of trouble getting an '05 Shiver. Marz. only brought over 100 forks. But, unless you care about weight and just really WANT a Shiver, go for it. I've ridden V10s with Shivers, and there sick. I would actually probably have one on my bike if they were a "regular" fork for Marz. this year.

·
Registered
409 Posts
TheSherpa said:
I disagree completely. A stock 888 on an old V10 would be horrible, huge BB height and unrideably slack for most people. My new V10 with a 888 and flat crowns is still slack and has about a 15" BB, which is high, and i ride rocky ****. Were talking about race bikes, not FR bikes, the lower the better.

Dankizzle-i would love to try a DH40 on my V10.
A 15" BB height for bikes with 9" - 10" of travel isn't uncommon, in fact that's where a lot of other bikes sit (the Cuervo is a good example of this).

As to the original question, both forks are solid and perform well. Basically I would say it's a matter of finances. If you can afford a 888RC with flat crowns (and the compression sleeve, if you weigh more than 150 lbs), then you won't be disappointed. The Shiver is a great way to save a few bucks. Certain dealers already have them in stock. Insert winky face here.

·
Uhhhhh...
2,894 Posts
James @ Go-Ride said:
A 15" BB height for bikes with 9" - 10" of travel isn't uncommon, in fact that's where a lot of other bikes sit (the Cuervo is a good example of this).

As to the original question, both forks are solid and perform well. Basically I would say it's a matter of finances. If you can afford a 888RC with flat crowns (and the compression sleeve, if you weigh more than 150 lbs), then you won't be disappointed. The Shiver is a great way to save a few bucks. Certain dealers already have them in stock. Insert winky face here.
Damn, post some pics. While Shivers are on the subject, why no Shiver SCs anymore?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
James @ Go-Ride, thanks for the answer. Why do you say that 888RC is more expensive? In Europe Monster T, 888RC and Shiver DC are all at one price. In Russia, for examble, Shiver is the most expansive fork be Marzocchi.

·
Uhhhhh...
2,894 Posts
VENOM[BLADE] said:
James @ Go-Ride, thanks for the answer. Why do you say that 888RC is more expensive? In Europe Monster T, 888RC and Shiver DC are all at one price. In Russia, for examble, Shiver is the most expansive fork be Marzocchi.
Because you will need to buy aftermarket crowns for your 888.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mtbman4, thanks!!! The bike looks really fantatic.
I always like old super 8. Maybe you have some more pictures?
05 Shiver is really in anodized black color? Or it is just in mat black like 888RC?

·
I do small drops.
215 Posts
Isn't Marzocchi throwing flat crowns onto the 888 this year as an option? I heard they were just like the Lowrider, same travel, 3.0 inch tire, but flat and super strong? Maybe it was just a rumor, but if not, go with that, the 888 is a kick ass fork...

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
VENOM[BLADE] said:
By the way what advantages and disadvantages of inverted design of the fork do you know?
Advantages:
Less unsprung weight. With a normal fork your wheels and the lower part of your fork don't benefit from the suspension cuz they hit the ground before the suspension comes into play. This is called unsprung weight and it makes your bike not feel as good over rough ground/small hits. The shiver will feel better over rough ground cuz of the reduced unsprung weight. (this is a crappy explanations...someone should do a better one..)

Disadvantages:
An inverted fork doesn't have a brace above the wheel so usually they are flexier or they need to be build stronger (heavier) to combat this. Also you need better seals cuz gravity is trying to make the oil leak. I have no idea if seal leaks are common with the Shiver forks but it seems more likely to me.

Just my 2 cents worth.

·
I do small drops.
215 Posts
My friend was test riding a Maverick fork on a bike one day, and it was super twisty. He didn't get one for that reason.

My other friend, with a 2002 Shiver, has some oil leak problems, and it was hard to fix cause it's not like putting oil into a normal fork, but it was a 2002 so he probably just needed new seals anyways.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.