Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '06 SWorks Enduro size XL. Considering a coil shock. Maybe a cheap 5th Element or DHX5. My ride weight is about 235-240lb. Using this Spring Calculator and a 8.75X2.75 shock at 28% sag to give 6.5" of travel in the Low BB position it looks like I would need about a 450lb spring for the 5th Element or a 500lb spring for the DHX5.

Questions: Do these rates seem right (from other posts I've seen they seem a bit low for my weight)? And will a 450-550lb spring physically fit through the shock tunnel in the frame? Also, to use a 5th Element I gather the eyelets are narrower than the DHXA currently on my bike so I would need to come up with some shims of some sort?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
i'm on an '06 enduro expert running an 8.75 x 2.75 fox shock.
i'm right at 175 lbs geared up and running a 400lb spring. i started with a 350 based on that same calculator and it was just a bit soft. i'd probably say go with a 550 with the fox.

i just measured a 550 lb spring i have and it's right at 53mm wide. a rough measurement of the opening on my bike looks to be ~60mm wide. should be plenty of room.

i think the bikes that had 5th element coils did have a wider inner shock spacer (part 1.n - 3.6mm width, according to the owners manual i have), which you might be able to get from specialized. also those bikes had 5th's with remote reservoirs, i'd see if you can get a measurement on the standard reservoir to make sure it will fit. then send it to craig at avalanche!

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
I'm about the same as the original poster - I'm running a 500lb spring but it's a tad soft... a 525 would be perfect. 500 was too soft. I'm running a Vanilla RC - last year before the DHX came out. When you say 235-240 do you mean with full gear - because that's me with shoes, 100oz of water, etc. If you are running that weight nekkid, I'd say go with the 550 for sure. Heck, I'd sell you the 550 really cheap.

·
UK Bike Whore
422 Posts
I have a 06 Enduro with a Fox Vanilla on it but mine is 8.75x2.5. I am using a 450 coil and it feels a little soft for xc riding (I'm about 180-200lbs) but its great on the DHs. I recently sent the shock off to TF for a bit of work on the compression and they are really good guys. Give them a ring if the time difference isnt too bad.

On a side note how do the 2.75 stroke shocks fit the Enduro frame is there any rubbing at full compression?

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
I know you are quite the tuner, titusquasi- so here ya go:

Get the 5th and convert to a piston/shim damped hotty:
http://www.mtbshock.com/swinger_5th_shim_mod.htm

You can have Kyle custom tune it or sell you the parts (who wrote those instructions) for a song:
http://www.thebrokenbike.com/progressive_fifth_coil_rebuild.html
or give it the Avalanche treatment.

I had a 5th coil on mine and *thought* I needed platform damping, I was wrong. I switched to a Roco and have less bob(!!!). The stock 5th 6 way was amazing for drops/jumps, ok for descents, and not great for tech climbing. But still a 1000 times better than the DHXa on the Enduro.

My 5th had same sized eyes as Fox, mine was 8.5x2.5. I'm 190 pounds geared and ran a 400 spring. This is pretty accurate for me:
http://www.tftunedshox.com/tech-area/spring-calculator.html

Had I known I did not need the platform I would have converted the 5th - just cuz I love to custom tune my ride, and that shock would have rocked!

P

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mr.P said:
My 5th had same sized eyes as Fox, mine was 8.5x2.5. I'm 190 pounds geared and ran a 400 spring.

This is pretty accurate for me:
http://www.tftunedshox.com/tech-area/spring-calculator.html

Had I known I did not need the platform I would have converted the 5th - just cuz I love to custom tune my ride, and that shock would have rocked!

P
So the 5th element shocks are the same eyelet width as Fox? A straight swap? For some reason I thought I had seen something about Progressive shocks taking different width conical spacers to fit the Enduro frame. Not sure what I was thinking...:confused:

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
titusquasi said:
So the 5th element shocks are the same eyelet width as Fox? A straight swap? For some reason I thought I had seen something about Progressive shocks taking different width conical spacers to fit the Enduro frame. Not sure what I was thinking...:confused:
I think it was a spring spacer that was unique with the stock Enduros, but mine fit ok without it.

I paid $99 for 2 years of good service with my 6 way :thumbsup:

P

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mr.P said:
I think it was a spring spacer that was unique with the stock Enduros, but mine fit ok without it.

I paid $99 for 2 years of good service with my 6 way :thumbsup:

P
Thanks for all the great info. Do you happen to know, what is the front reducer size for these Enduros? I know the bolt is 8m but what is the width?

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
titusquasi said:
Thanks for all the great info. Do you happen to know, what is the front reducer size for these Enduros? I know the bolt is 8m but what is the width?
the width is 22mm.
fyi - i also thought the 5th eyelet was narrower than fox as i mentioned in my earlier post, since the owners manual alludes to them taking a wider spacer.

·
Registered
47 Posts
ok, well i just bought an 07 enduro expert with the stock air shock on it. i am 225 and 6'5" so my question would be the appropriate spring rate (550?) and if someone could supply a link to a few of the shocks that would be good for the bike.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
TallRider01 said:
ok, well i just bought an 07 enduro expert with the stock air shock on it. i am 225 and 6'5" so my question would be the appropriate spring rate (550?) and if someone could supply a link to a few of the shocks that would be good for the bike.
either a 500 or 550 should work depending on how you like your suspension set up.

as far as shocks, i believe the vanilla rc, vanilla r, dhx 3-5 with short valve, avalanche chubie or DHS, cane creek db and the marzocchi roco have all been proven to fit this frame. some with more clearance than others. i thought i read that the rock shox vivid fit also, but not sure where i read that.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I think if you are switching from a Progressive Air Shock to a Fox Shock (Coil or Air) then you need new conical spacers. If you had the Progressive Coil, then Fox is the same size. I swapped my Progressive Coil to a DHX 5.0 and it fit just fine with the same 'ol spacers.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I honestly have no idea about what wave is talking about. unfortunately a fs bike i am very ignorant with them so any help is awesome, thats why links would be the easiest and preferably the direct drop in sort of shocks. I will do some research on some of the shocks that were mentioned above.

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
TallRider01 said:
I honestly have no idea about what wave is talking about. unfortunately a fs bike i am very ignorant with them so any help is awesome, thats why links would be the easiest and preferably the direct drop in sort of shocks. I will do some research on some of the shocks that were mentioned above.
Advanced Search for "coil" in the Specialized forums:
http://forums.mtbr.com/search.php?searchid=7561880

P

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.