Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What up!

New to the forum and looking for opinions on forks listed in title. I ride a '04 spec. enduro pro built from frame up. Have an mxpro w/ eta (105mm)now and it's not enough.

I live and ride in Vt. so climbing is an issue but so are fast tech. downhills w/ some 2-4ft. drops. I ride at Killington also which is 10 minutes away but I climp up then ride down sweet singletrack.I weigh 225, 6'3".

Looking at buying either a 2004 Z1 DROP-OFF I or a 2003 Z1 FR SL doppio air. Can't find weights on them but a few ounces isn't a big deal when I could lose a few pounds. Lots of adj. to the FR SL which is a plus. Is the D.O. more of a dirt jumper fork? really looking for the best choice for taking hits but not being an anchor on the climbs. I'm aware that no 130mm is going to be x cntry light.
Thanks for any advice!


Tola
 

·
err, 27.5+
Joined
·
4,928 Posts
Interesting choices. IME the ssv forks really aren't as nice and put a higher tax on the body due to the lower grade of damper. If you are okay with the ride of the MxPro then it is basically the same fork in a beefier package with longer travel. Weight is around 6lb if it has the steel steerer.

On the other hand the Z1 FR SL isn't a good clyde fork. By the time you get the positive pressure set corectly for your weight the negative pressure maxes out and it will still top out hard. Also the air spring is too linear for big guys. At 240 in gear I bottom the fork on anything over about 3' with correct sag. I am in the process of swapping out the ECC/air cartridge on my fork to an HSCV/spring/air. The swap will get me rebound adjustment as well as a spring so I can reduce + pressure a bit. At any rate, the fork is a nice stiff fork. Light at about 4.6lb. And tons of room to tinker. Unfortunately you will have to tinker with it to get the correct setup for you.

I would recommend a 2004 Z1 Fr if you can find one. Much better fork for a clyde. I rode on for about 6 months and never had any complaint other than weight (it was just under 6lb and had the steel steerer). Now I am trying to get my SL to behave more like one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the advice. The reason I chose those two forks is because of current deals on them. I was also looking at the 2004 fox vanilla 125 for 300-. It has springs instead of air and may be a better choice for my weight?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,982 Posts
cxoffers said:
thanks for the advice. The reason I chose those two forks is because of current deals on them. I was also looking at the 2004 fox vanilla 125 for 300-. It has springs instead of air and may be a better choice for my weight?
Superblo had / has the 2004 Z1FR on sale for $299. It's a sweet fork and should meet all your requirements.
 

·
Meh.
Joined
·
17,508 Posts
http://www.greenfishsports.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=675

o4 Manitou Sherman Firefly for $380. Awesome fork. You can drop the travel from 130 down to 90 for the steep climbs. It's extremely stiff, even in the QR version. Titanium springs lightens it up and it also makes it more compliant with the small stuff without loosing big drop capability. SPV dampening... Eh... Don't really like it. It feels jittery, but it'll help on those climbs. If you have the old SPVs Manitou is sending free SPV Evolve replacements. Feels slightly better, but it just isn't buttery smooth like TPC. I freeride with the o3 model. It's so nice. Mine weighs 4.2 pounds with the steerer cut.

Marzocchi makes great forks too. Adjustability is more limited, but really bombproof. The Doppio air seems to top out quite a bit, especially if you're a heavier rider. The negative air chamber is too small in my opinion. But hey, air is for breathing, not compression. There's nothing quite like a coil fork. I think Marzocchi forks weigh a bit more too...

Fox Vanilla 125 is a great choice.Very stiff. Fox also sets up the rake wierd. Low axle to crown height, and the dropout is almost directly below the steerer. It makes a quicker steering front end. I believe anything o3 and older cannot take 8 inch disc brake rotors, it'll crack the disc tabs. I'm not sure about the o4 models. I know the 2oo5 models are ok with 8 inch rotors.
 

·
noMAD man
Joined
·
12,220 Posts
HSCV cartridge choice?

dscot420 said:
Interesting choices. IME the ssv forks really aren't as nice and put a higher tax on the body due to the lower grade of damper. If you are okay with the ride of the MxPro then it is basically the same fork in a beefier package with longer travel. Weight is around 6lb if it has the steel steerer.

On the other hand the Z1 FR SL isn't a good clyde fork. By the time you get the positive pressure set corectly for your weight the negative pressure maxes out and it will still top out hard. Also the air spring is too linear for big guys. At 240 in gear I bottom the fork on anything over about 3' with correct sag. I am in the process of swapping out the ECC/air cartridge on my fork to an HSCV/spring/air. The swap will get me rebound adjustment as well as a spring so I can reduce + pressure a bit. At any rate, the fork is a nice stiff fork. Light at about 4.6lb. And tons of room to tinker. Unfortunately you will have to tinker with it to get the correct setup for you.

I would recommend a 2004 Z1 Fr if you can find one. Much better fork for a clyde. I rode on for about 6 months and never had any complaint other than weight (it was just under 6lb and had the steel steerer). Now I am trying to get my SL to behave more like one.
Just curious what HSCV cart you used to replace the ECC leg on your SL...Z1FR? I just did the same thing to one of my 150SL's with an '04 Z150 coil cart. I wound up using a Manitou Firefly+ spring with that cart and now don't run any + air in either leg. I do run 50psi in the neg. chamber of the left leg, however. It works remarkably well.
 

Attachments

·
noMAD man
Joined
·
12,220 Posts
4.2 lbs.?

XSL_WiLL said:
http://www.greenfishsports.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=675

o4 Manitou Sherman Firefly for $380. Awesome fork. You can drop the travel from 130 down to 90 for the steep climbs. It's extremely stiff, even in the QR version. Titanium springs lightens it up and it also makes it more compliant with the small stuff without loosing big drop capability. SPV dampening... Eh... Don't really like it. It feels jittery, but it'll help on those climbs. If you have the old SPVs Manitou is sending free SPV Evolve replacements. Feels slightly better, but it just isn't buttery smooth like TPC. I freeride with the o3 model. It's so nice. Mine weighs 4.2 pounds with the steerer cut.

Marzocchi makes great forks too. Adjustability is more limited, but really bombproof. The Doppio air seems to top out quite a bit, especially if you're a heavier rider. The negative air chamber is too small in my opinion. But hey, air is for breathing, not compression. There's nothing quite like a coil fork. I think Marzocchi forks weigh a bit more too...

Fox Vanilla 125 is a great choice.Very stiff. Fox also sets up the rake wierd. Low axle to crown height, and the dropout is almost directly below the steerer. It makes a quicker steering front end. I believe anything o3 and older cannot take 8 inch disc brake rotors, it'll crack the disc tabs. I'm not sure about the o4 models. I know the 2oo5 models are ok with 8 inch rotors.
I thought maybe you meant 5.2 lbs. We haven't had a Firefly of any kind in the shop that weighed under 5 lbs. My personal '03 TPC+ Firefly with Ti spring weighed 5lbs., 4oz. on an honest digital scale. I know their ads in '03 claimed 4.5 or such, but I've never seen one. It was/is an excellent fork...maybe better than the later SPV types, like you suggested.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top