Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the 04 xt 760 the opposite of the 750 in terms of the way it shifts?
If I think the 750 is "normal" will the 760 make the shifters (pre-04) shift "backwards"?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes, you are correct. The new '04 model XT M760 has the RapidRise feature and therefore it shifts "backwards" compared to the M750 model. I bought the '04 model a few weeks ago but returned it. I couldn't really get used to the "backwards/reversed" shifting.

danK said:
If I think the 750 is "normal" will the 760 make the shifters (pre-04) shift "backwards"?

·
mtbr member
453 Posts
danK said:
Yes, and I think it's good.

I am in the camp for those who like "Low Normal" (or "Rapid Rise"). In fact, I got an 04 XT just for that. I haven't been using derailleur drivetrain for very long (used to ride singelspeed and internal gear hub), and I never got comfortable with having opposite shifting logic in front and rear. Especially when I got tired and didn't think clearly and were short of time, I found myself sometimes shifting in the wrong direction because my hands thought shifting logic was the same. I still have few rides on this derailleur, but already I perceive the bike's shifting system more intuitive - push (increase tension) is always going to heavier gear, pull (release) always to easier.

Though, it may be a pain in the beginning for those who have got used to the old "unconsistent logic" shifting.

·
Registered
163 Posts
possible issue

i heard the pretty good point that it could conceivably be difficult to shift down while descending and using the brake lever. do you rapid-risers find things to be a bit hairy while downshifting on steep descents?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts