Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after a couple of years on an '04 X-5, I'm thinking of moving on to the El Ciclon. What would be the upgrades/benefits of the El Ciclon over the first year X-5 frame? Things I'm looking for would be:

• lower weight (I think the El Ciclon is a little less girthy than the X-5)
  • longer top tube (this one is easy - 24" vs. 23.85")
  • lower BB height (the older X-5 with a Pike dialed out to 140mm is a little tall ~ 14" or more at the BB, I think); and
  • a slacker head angle (may be about the same, actually, but I've never calculated the head angle of the X-5 with the Pike at 140mm).

I'd likely go with the quad bearing and RP23 upgrades on the El Ciclon (I have the quad bearings on my X-5, but just the stock Float R shock). I don't mind the taller standover on the El Ciclon - I have pretty long legs and ride with my saddle high.

Any other benefits/differences I'm missing between these two frames? Basically, what I'd hope to achieve would be a slightly lighter bike that would climb and carve downhill turns a little better.

Finally, should I do the owners appreciation trade in program or buy the El Ciclon outright and sell my X-5 frame? I'm thinking the latter would be the better deal. Not sure what I'd get for an older X-5 frame, but I'd have to hope it would be more than $600.

Thanks!!

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
3,810 Posts
My first Ventana FS was a 2004 X-5 that I bought used. Then I bought a El Ciclon because I wanted a traditional front triangle so I could carry a water bottle for short rides. I ran the X-5 with a Talas 125mm fork. I run the El Ciclon with a Talas 100/120/140.....set mostly at 120mm. At 140mm the steering seems slow but for technical downhills it's the cats meow. The frame weights are almost the same...give or take a 1lb......can a pound really make a difference on this type of bike? But I know their are weight weenies out there that would piss & moan over 25 grams......which makes me LOL because they belly ache over a 1700 gram wheel set then go slap on 725 gram tires.....go figure.

Pro/Con on X-5:

-Very stiff front triangle.....way stiffer then the El Ciclon
-Loads of standover.....1.5 inches can make a difference
-Very well centered bike......it seems more centered then the El Ciclon

Pro/Con on El Ciclon:

-Army Green is the best Ventana color period
-Ability to carry a water bottle that I can use during a race/ride
-I love Tacos........

Depending on your riding style you may want to stay with the X-5 or move up to the El T.

·
Shot Down in Flames...
1,218 Posts
Another option is to trade the front and keep your rear. I believe the cost is $650 not including new rockers (which you will need).

And then buy a CCDB with the money you saved. :D

D.

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
3,810 Posts
D-Rock said:
Another option is to trade the front and keep your rear. I believe the cost is $650 not including new rockers (which you will need).

And then buy a CCDB with the money you saved. :D

D.
I looked into doing this.........modularity another great trait of Ventana. I'm pretty sure you can get Sherwood to make you the new geometry with the older style pivot location. The combinations are endless.........

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.