Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello good people!

Im getting my rear shock, an 04 vanilla R with propedal, serviced. My local service guy, is offering a good deal uppgrading the internals, to the 05 model. Anyone know if this will improve the shock, and most important the propedal function significantly?
Or am I better of paying a bit more getting it PUSH`ed?

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
If the extra cost isn't a big consideration, the PUSH willl perform better. The PUSH custom internals are much better than even the latest Fox internals. PUSH offers a custom hard anodized piston, better oil flow, all tuned just for you and your bike. Fox's factory components can't touch that.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
My thoughts

If you like the performance as is, then save the money and go with the Fox upgrade. I had my non-propedal Vanilla PUSH'd and I couldn't be happier with it. What you do get from a PUSH mod that you don't get with a Fox based mod, is a shock that is custom tuned to your weight, riding style and suspension configuration. My unerstanding is that the quality of the internals used by PUSH is superior to those used by Fox.

Lastly, read around. You don't find many people saying "I had my shock PUSH'd, I should have just sent it to Fox".

Best Wishes in your decision.

Bob

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Call_me_Clyde said:
If you like the performance as is, then save the money and go with the Fox upgrade. I had my non-propedal Vanilla PUSH'd and I couldn't be happier with it. What you do get from a PUSH mod that you don't get with a Fox based mod, is a shock that is custom tuned to your weight, riding style and suspension configuration. My unerstanding is that the quality of the internals used by PUSH is superior to those used by Fox.

Lastly, read around. You don't find many people saying "I had my shock PUSH'd, I should have just sent it to Fox".

Best Wishes in your decision.

Bob
Part of the problem is that Im perhaps not enough experienced to pinpoint what needs improvement. I beleve my main problem is the propedal, it feels like the shock, on small to medium stuf, sometimes opens and sometimes dont. On bigger stuf its always nice and plush.
As far as Ive read, early propedal models are less than good in this area, but are there vast improvements on the later models?

If the extra cost isn't a big consideration, the PUSH willl perform better.
Cost is always a big concideration, as I seem to be uppgrading everything theese days:)

Sorry havent quite figured this forum out just yet, last quote is from Homebrew below, but yall probably figured that one out anyhow:D

O and i should probably mention, Im riding a Kona Coiler (5" faux bar).

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Couple more thoughts

klean said:
Part of the problem is that Im perhaps not enough experienced to pinpoint what needs improvement. I beleve my main problem is the propedal, it feels like the shock, on small to medium stuf, sometimes opens and sometimes dont. On bigger stuf its always nice and plush.
As far as Ive read, early propedal models are less than good in this area, but are there vast improvements on the later models?
Cost is always a big concideration, as I seem to be uppgrading everything theese days:)
Sorry havent quite figured this forum out just yet, last quote is from Homebrew below, but yall probably figured that one out anyhow:D
O and i should probably mention, Im riding a Kona Coiler (5" faux bar).
I was not very experienced when I had my shock PUSH'd (still not that expereinced for that matter), but I did know that I needed a platform shock, and one that was better than average. I chose to go the PUSH route based solely on their reputation and have not been disappointed. As for the newer Foxes having a better Propedal than older models, I would surmise that the engineering has gotten better in newer models. As both Homebrew and I pointed out, the internals of the PUSH product will make the shock that much better.

Again, it boils down to what you feel is most important. Upgrading to the '06 Fox Propedal internals should be a good move. Having it PUSH'd is an excellent move for all the reasons stated.

Bob

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tanks for all good input! Cost is one issue, but i suppose upgrading to find out Im not happy, and then PUSHing, is a posible outcome.

Tanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts