Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
writing for a 2nd time...
Can anyone explain the coil springs in the 04 Super T?

I have heard it is 4 separate coils (2 in each leg). I looked online at the Marz manuals but could not find anything.

I'm 195 pounds, what coils should I run (all firm, X firm, 2 of each....etc)

Thanks.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I'd call marzocchi if I were you. 1-800-227-5579 or 1-661-257-6630. They're usually real cool and have always helped me out.

·
Registered
868 Posts
freeriderB said:

I have heard it is 4 separate coils (2 in each leg). I looked online at the Marz manuals but could not find anything.

Thanks.
If they are like the older ones, yes they have 2 in each leg. At 195 though, I would recomend a couple of simple things first. Check your oil level and make sure it isn't too low... the oil level is somewhere on their site since I found it the other day for my forks. Then get an air cap (like the ones used in the DJ forks, ideally an 03 so it will look similar) and put it on the side that doesn't have the rebound adjuster. Then put a few psi in it. This is much easier than changing the spring and I think it gives better results, since you really only want the spring rate to ramp up near the bottom end so that it is plush at the top. And, at 195, you really aren't an exceptionally heavy rider. My friend is like 230, and is getting by with the stock setup on his super with the air cap. Marz or a lbs can get you the cap.

·
Absurd
919 Posts
freeriderB said:

Thanks.
There should be a total of 4. My jr t came with the 2 longer ones on top and 2 shorter ones on bottom, but my ex's came with the 2 shorter ones on top and 2 longer ones on bottom why? who knows. Check around on their website, they do have a weight/spring rate chart. At 195 pounds, I'm almost sure that you're too heavy for the springs that come stock ( med. I believe ). Oil level will also play a huge factor, as mentioned earlier today, they almost always come a little short of what they should be. I dropped 1 long, xx firm spring in my left leg and put the oil level to where it should be, and quit bottoming out so much, but it still had a pretty plush feeling ( for a JR T. ). I'd call Marz. (661) 257-6630, just ask to speak to someone in tech support, they're pretty friendly and helpfull. The manual they give you is pretty much only good for outhouse reading material. If you talk to someone in tech support ask them for "The CD"..Nudge-nudge wink-wink.

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
freeriderB said:

Thanks.
I'm 190 pounds, and have the '04 super T. I put heavier springs in, but after 3 weeks, put the stock ones back in. I lost much of the responsiveness with the heavier springs. I was able to get the bottom out prevention I sought by addind more oil. My recomendation: forget the heavier springs, add more oil. If you're really set on the heavier springs, let me know, and I'll sell you mine for much less than Marz. will sell them to you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
what i would do is put in one set of firm springs in and leave one set of med in so it is more responsive over the small stuff but still can handle the bigger hits. you could also raise the oil height a little or if it has air caps adding air effectively does the same thing.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
man, you got a little bit of every thing for an answer here, I have an 04, bottomed it on everything, so I had the double x springs put in, the long ones, then went with 80 mm oil from the top, springs out, bla bla. now this fork is awsome, its still plush, ramps up nice, and dosnt bottom hard, but still geting all my travel. When I had the stock springs, I had to have the oil at 70 mm from the top to keep from bottoming, WAY TO MUCH OIL!!!! it felt nice but the seals would eventually start to leak. I was told about the air cap deal too, but went with the springs instead. all is good now. BTW I wiegh 185.

·
Say Car Ramrod!!
1,823 Posts
doubleA's said:
man, you got a little bit of every thing for an answer here, I have an 04, bottomed it on everything, so I had the double x springs put in, the long ones, then went with 80 mm oil from the top, springs out, bla bla. now this fork is awsome, its still plush, ramps up nice, and dosnt bottom hard, but still geting all my travel. When I had the stock springs, I had to have the oil at 70 mm from the top to keep from bottoming, WAY TO MUCH OIL!!!! it felt nice but the seals would eventually start to leak. I was told about the air cap deal too, but went with the springs instead. all is good now. BTW I wiegh 185.
when u add oil is the fork compressed when u do so? then with it all the way compressed then do u measure from the top of the stanchion?

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
The Dude said:
when u add oil is the fork compressed when u do so? then with it all the way compressed then do u measure from the top of the stanchion?
The proper way to measure the oil level is with the springs removed, the leg completely compressed, measured from the top of the fork leg to the top of the oil.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Just the upper springs removed...

Renegade said:
The proper way to measure the oil level is with the springs removed, the leg completely compressed, measured from the top of the fork leg to the top of the oil.
Actually you just remove the upper (longer) springs, and leave the lower springs in. I had an 03 Super T, and ended up with 2 x-heavy springs and 10wt oil @ 90 mm to keep from bottoming big drops at 200 lbs. Would not recommend 10wt oil -- makes the fork feel a bit too "rubbery".

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
The Dude said:
yes, spring out, fork compressed, measure from the top of the stanchion, we used a zip tie, zipped to another, to make a "T" shape, and measured the length from the oil line to the top.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Easy way to get the oil you want.

Take the squirt part out of a container of hand soap and cut the suction tube to the desired height. On the one I used, the top was just larger that the opening so I just put a bunch of oil in and pumped out what I didn't need. If you wanted to get fancy, you could graduate the tube so you could use it for multiple levels. Just a cheap little trick I thought I'd share.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts