Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i posted a few days ago regarding my bike making clicking nosies and "ghost shifting" i took it back to the shop and they sorta fixed it or maybe its just me but everytime i shift its a rough shift they told me not to put some much weight on it when shifting? but i try not to and i still come across the same problem its very rough when am swicthing between gears is this just me? (keep in mind am a newbie) ands its not all the gears but most of them.

·
Super Moderator
20,787 Posts
tension adjustment or cable housing under BB

Hi!

If your hear a clicking sound it might be that the tension adjustment screw (little screw in the rear deraulleur through which the cable goes in) is a little too far in or out, so it is out of adjustment.
Regarding ghost shifting, the other option is that the cable housing under the bottom bracket (BB) is too short. It should be long enough that it is separated about an inch away from the BB at the farthest point.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Cris

·
Registered
26 Posts
crisillo said:
Hi!

If your hear a clicking sound it might be that the tension adjustment screw (little screw in the rear deraulleur through which the cable goes in) is a little too far in or out, so it is out of adjustment.
Regarding ghost shifting, the other option is that the cable housing under the bottom bracket (BB) is too short. It should be long enough that it is separated about an inch away from the BB at the farthest point.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Cris
Before you adjust any screws play with the tension at the barrel(on the shifter) I have a 03 stumpjumper fsr and have ha d to work very hard to dial in the shifting-and still havent. I think due to the geometry of this bike many factors can affect this, heres what ive had to adjust that affected shifting-loose pivit bolts-old bushings in the rear shocks-bent derauiler hanger-bent deraulier-anywher theer is "play" where ther shouldnt be might affect tension on the chain and deraulier. hope this helps.

B

·
Maestro
80 Posts
Hard Shifting / Ghost Shifting

I find most full suspension bikes have a tendency to Ghost shift ( Shift on their own). This usually is due to cable length issues around the suspension pivot. This can be fixed with revised cable or complete housing front to rear.

Hard shifting, alot of banging or clanging during shifts, has to do with rider technique, derailleur adjustment, and the design, quality or wear of the rear cassette.
A downshift to a bigger cassette gear during a high load climb can make a lot of noise!
Also an upshift to one of the very small cogs at high loads, say while hammering out on a flat section, can also be loud.

The basic rear derailleur adjustment to check is to shift to the middle crankset ring and the middle cassette gear. Looking from the rear of the bike, are the derailleur jockey wheel straight below the middle cog? ( I mean straight below) otherwise adjustment is needed.

Here a basic article on derailleurs.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html

Ken S.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts