Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody tried this on one of the older stinkys? I have an 04 and was wondering if this size will work?

·
Registered
297 Posts
bad idea

the 04 Stinky was 7" rear right ?, that means it originally came with a 8.5/2.5 shock.
By putting a 7.875/2.25 shock in there , U will 99.999pct bottom the seatstay on the seatpost as U are lowering the I-I lenght more than the stroke.
U could get away with a 8/2 shock (or a 8.25/2.25 if such a thing exists) or any other combo that lowers the I-I and the stroke with the same amount .
Hope it made sense
Cheers

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not this frame. 6"

This frame has 6" of travel and comes with a 7.875 x 2.

I have a buddy that has a turner and he did this hack and it just added extra travel and his tire still does not hit the frame.

I was just thinking it will expand my search for a DHX air....

·
Registered
297 Posts
Well then its pretty simple.....

to check if itll work.

I-I minus stroke , 7,875 -2,25 = 5,625" ,
remove shock and compress rear triangle until it barely bottoms on seatpost/tube , if
U have more than 5,625" btwn shockmountingholes youre fine .
If U have less than 5,625 it means you will have contact btwn seatstays and seattube/post at full travel.

Cheers

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Check that the chainstay doesn't smack the front derailleur if you're running one. Mine banged up the FD pretty good, so I just went single ring.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yeahh , thats been about the only fault with the Stinkys (ever since the very first one)
You OK when running 3 rings , but with only 2 up front , U cant lower the front mech enough to close the gap btwn mech and ring without front mech hitting the chainstay.
I tried to deal with it on my 03 DeeLux by running the chain as short as poss. : big ring/big cog rear mech almost horisontal , it helped but Id still drop the chain to the outside , through the gap, once in a while , so i got a Blackspire NS1 guide(single ring
36t) and a 11-34 rear , never looked back.Works for my riding.
Cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts