Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help with the above. I’m around 5’ 8.5” and am wondering whether I should go for a 15” or 17” Stinky Primo… (I know it would be best if I could try them both out personally but unfortunately there isn’t even a bike shop in the area that has one) So I’m really counting on you guys’ input for this one…

Actually my bro’ who’s the same height as me rides the MY2004 15” base model Stinky and is happy with the geo and sizing. I’ve tried his bike and it feels pretty okey but not entirely comfortable – a little cramped (maybe just a case of me not being used to it yet though as I’m coming off a largish Giant AC with a 23”TT).

What worries me is that the geo table on the Kona webby states that the TT for a 15” Stinky P vs Stinky is 21.5” vs 21.1”. Will the 0.4” difference make the 15” Stinky P too small for me?? Thanx in advance for your response :)

·
Just roll it......
7,619 Posts
I'm on an '02 Stinky Primo....

....and I'm about your height (~5' 8") which is a biotch because we fall right in between those two sizes. I opted for a 15" because I wanted to have a bike that was a bit more 'flickable' for the type of trails I ride. I also have a 15" Bear so it probably wasn't that big of a stretch for me to go with the smaller Stinky.

I've ridden a friends 17" Stinky and I feel I could've made that size work for me with a shorter stem, but overall, I'm happy with my decision. I think it's personal preference....if you like a longer TT, then go with the 17" and use a shorter stem or move the integrated stem to the 35mm holes. However, if your bro's 15" fits you well, then you should expect a similar feel/fit with a Stinky Primo as well. Depends what your looking for.

EB

·
Registered
19 Posts
ebxtreme said:
....and I'm about your height (~5' 8") which is a biotch because we fall right in between those two sizes. I opted for a 15" because I wanted to have a bike that was a bit more 'flickable' for the type of trails I ride. I also have a 15" Bear so it probably wasn't that big of a stretch for me to go with the smaller Stinky.

I've ridden a friends 17" Stinky and I feel I could've made that size work for me with a shorter stem, but overall, I'm happy with my decision. I think it's personal preference....if you like a longer TT, then go with the 17" and use a shorter stem or move the integrated stem to the 35mm holes. However, if your bro's 15" fits you well, then you should expect a similar feel/fit with a Stinky Primo as well. Depends what your looking for.

EB
dude get yourself a 17" i'm 5'10.5" and i find the stinky is sometimes too small

kona even state 5'5" to 6'0" for a 17"

yes the 15" is more flickable but once you put DH bars on and DC's you'll be cramped

·
Rider of Bikes
224 Posts
I'm 5'10" and I ride a 17" '04 Stinky Dee-Lux. While on vacation visiting my brother, I rode his 15" '02 Stab (same frame design as my Stinky). I felt comfortable on it. He's the same height, and he prefers the smaller size because he can throw it around a little better. I know sizing can be difficult, especially when you can't ride one. I was in the same boat when I bought mine. If I were you, I'd be leaning towards the 15". It really comes down to what you'll be using it for. If there will be some urban riding and dirt jumping involved, go for the more manuverable 15". If you're just going straight down hill, really fast, get the 17". That's my two cents. Best of luck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've ordered it!!

Thank you all for the input :) .... After much consideration, I've gone ahead and bought a 15"

I'm now in the process of gathering some components (cos I didn't buy the complete bike), and would really appreciate your further assistance... I've done a little checking and just wanna confirm: the front D should be a 34.9mm top-pull, bottom-swing model right??

Will keep you updated on how it goes (if anyone cares that is :D )...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Good choice bro, I'm 5' 7 1/2 and owned a 17in. Stinky Primo and had no problems. I now have a 2003 Stinky Primo 16in. and the difference is now clear the 16in. is better in tech downhills and my cornering is much better I can carry my speed much better now. Congrats on your purchese you'll love it. RIDE HARD & LIVE FREE!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.