Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to get my 1st real dedicated freeride bike. I think i'm getting the 04' stinky dee-lux. It seems to be about the best bike for the $ . I'm 5'11" and 178lbs. I'm thinking hte 18" would be about right for me? Anyone have experiece on this bike? Hit or miss?? Or is there a better bike out there for the price that i've overlooked?

·
Registered
297 Posts
get it

very happy with my 03 Dlux and the only diff. is the propedal shox on the 04.
no issues so far.
Im 6,05 and have a 18 . depending on what will be yr primary use get a 18 or maybe a 17
Cheers

·
Banned
1,608 Posts
A New Kona with 7 - 7 Jr.T and RC is a SWEET bike to start FreeRiding..
I think is a HIT..

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
VIA said:
A New Kona with 7 - 7 Jr.T and RC is a SWEET bike to start FreeRiding..
I think is a HIT..
Should i buy from bike shop, online or from company direct? where can i get the best deal?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Ride19 said:
Should i buy from bike shop, online or from company direct? where can i get the best deal?
I bought my Stinky Dee from my LBS. For a freeride bike that will get a lot of abuse I'd recomend the LBS. By the way I'm 6'3" and I got the 18". I like the feel of a small bike under me for freeriding. A little easier to control in the air. No probs with mine so far and I've ridden Whislter 2 times and Downievielle 3 times with it this season. Go for it!

·
Banned
1,608 Posts
Ride19 said:

Shop arround , do a little home-work, search .. the world wide web is a beautifull thing ...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your help. i'm 90% sure i'll go with the Kona. I can't wait. A couple of you taller riders went the 18" so maybe 17" would do me better. I too usually prefer a smaller ride underneath me, i just wasn't sure if it would be wise to go smaller with a bike thats gonna take so much abuse. I"ll look up some local kona dealers see if i can spin one and see how it feels. Thanks

·
Banned
1,608 Posts
I had a Stab Dee Lux wich was supoust to be medium but man that thing was huge...
Definitly go for the smaller size where you can feel confortable...
Let us see it after you get it...
Good luck..

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
stinkys are very nice rides...im sure u wont be dissapointed with the dee-lux...

seems a shame to get one tho while the new ones are so close to cumming out and have such better specing...such as a Fox DHX shock...:D

id say wait man...just like a month and get the same but even sweeter bike...:D

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
yup it sure does...but its like a beige/brown colour...i think...

and the stinky comes with the new 7" drop off tripple...and with sun MTX rims...

·
Registered
666 Posts
I'm 6' and ride an 18" 2001-1/2 Stinky 5 and it's just about right although it feels a little cramped on long climbs.. At 5'-11" you're right on the borderline for a 17" or 18". Depends on how much uphill riding you'll be doing. I think the top-tube is shorter on the 2004 than the 2001 so if you'll be riding uphill a lot the 18" may be the best choice. Best way to tell is to ride them and see (if you can).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BJ- said:
yup it sure does...but its like a beige/brown colour...i think...

and the stinky comes with the new 7" drop off tripple...and with sun MTX rims...
When does the 05 kona line come out? Anybody know? Is there anywhere online I can see the new 05' stinky dee-lux.....decisions decisions, wait for the 05'?

·
a'buh?
635 Posts
dude, if you can afford to wait, do it...but I understand that if you want a bike now, you want a bike now. So get it if you want it. It's much better to be riding than waiting. If price is really an issue, buy online. If you want to build a good relationship with an LBS, and get free professional tune-ups, buy from an LBS.

That's a great bike, but I'd say go with an 18" (it's supposed to fit people 5'6"-6')

·
Banned
1,608 Posts
Here you have the 05 Stinky Dee Lux and 05 Stiny Supreme..
PS. I don't think is a good idea wait for the 05... Is gonna be the same frame and anyway when the time comes you can upgrade yours wich most likely you'll have it for few years... so why pay a lot of extra cash for almost the same thing...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts