Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the beginning of travel, my '04 Super makes a clunking noise that sounds for all the world like a loose headset. I checked it out thoroughly and the headset's fine. The fork's travel seems a bit loose for the first few mm's. I bought it and put in a soft spring before I ever rode it, so I don't know if it was like that before. I opened it, replaced the spring, refilled the oil and torqued the bolts all according to the manual I downloaded on line (or so I thought). Did I do something wrong? Anyone else's Super do this? I've got to get this bike or my Hollowpoint in shipshape for vacation in a couple weeks, and I've got to go chasing a serious oil leak in the Hollowpoint's fork. Other than the noise, the Skareb seems to work well.

I'm not taking either to a shop. I much prefer to do my own work even if it takes a while for me to get to it. Last time I took a fork to a shop, it came back with gobs of stiction and had to be taken apart again.

Kathy

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Thats weird. I don't have a Super but I have a Platinum SPV. My fork does make a slight clunking sound at the beginning of the travel but on the Platinum that is somewhat normal and indicates the SPV chamber is under pressurized. This should not happen on the super though since it has no SPV chamber. The only thing I can think of is to double check the oil height :confused:

·
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hecubus said:
Thats weird. I don't have a Super but I have a Platinum SPV. My fork does make a slight clunking sound at the beginning of the travel but on the Platinum that is somewhat normal and indicates the SPV chamber is under pressurized. This should not happen on the super though since it has no SPV chamber. The only thing I can think of is to double check the oil height :confused:
I didn't open the damper, and the fork was new, so I didn't check oil height. I'll have a look at that this weekend. I've seen a few posts where forks were coming from the factory not properly filled, though I thought it was another brand.

Kathy

·
2,548 Posts
Lucky said:
. I've seen a few posts where forks were coming from the factory not properly filled, though I thought it was another brand.

Kathy
Trust noone........when in doubt, check it out ;)

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Check the oil, its very easy. Just remove the air cap (empty air first!) and use a dipstick to see how high the oil level is to the top tip of the opening.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Did you discover anything?

Though it doen't give a clunking noise, my wife's '04 Skareb Super is also very loose in the first 5mm or so from top-out, kinda like there is a spacer or something missing. There is no resistance to movement. Hoping maybe you found something.

Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
the "clunk" seems sort of common on new Manitou forks that have air chamber SPV. one friend's Skareb makes the noise, another friend's Minute makes it too.

it seems to be a function of tuning the SPV air pressure and the rebound damping.

I had the same noise in my Minute 1:00 and fixed it by bumping the SPV to 50psi, and adusting the rebound speed.

·
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alibi said:
Though it doen't give a clunking noise, my wife's '04 Skareb Super is also very loose in the first 5mm or so from top-out, kinda like there is a spacer or something missing. There is no resistance to movement. Hoping maybe you found something.

Thanks in advance.
I checked oil height, and it was right in spec. So, I pulled it apart to see if anything was amiss. Nothing. Everything looked fine and happy, with nothing loose. I reassembled and torqued all the bolts, including the headset topcap, since I had to take the fork off to put the oil bath oil in. No change. If your wife's is doing this, and you didn't have it apart, then it must be the fork. Maybe I'll give Manitou a call and ask them if they've ever heard of this. It sure rides nice, though. :^)

Kathy

·
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gonzostrike said:
the "clunk" seems sort of common on new Manitou forks that have air chamber SPV. one friend's Skareb makes the noise, another friend's Minute makes it too.

it seems to be a function of tuning the SPV air pressure and the rebound damping.

I had the same noise in my Minute 1:00 and fixed it by bumping the SPV to 50psi, and adusting the rebound speed.
Yebbut the Super doesn't have SPV. Did changing the rebound speed make a difference? Maybe their forks just make this noise and they blame it on SPV? Time to call 'em, I guess.

Kathy

·
Registered
161 Posts
I also...

checked the oil height and it was right on, and I have pulled it apart enough to check the oil bath, as I've heard the horror stories related to that, so I know that all the oil levels are correct.

This one is a Super with SPV (does that make it Platinum?); I think it must have been an OE take-off, as the bike was assembled at a shop, and they did a fork upgrade as opposed to money back (long story). I've been setting it at 50 psi. and fiddling with rebound, but it still won't go away. Not a big problem, just a little annoying. Anyway, I agree, it sure is a nice fork. I want it!

Please let us know if you get any info out of Manitou.

·
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
alibi said:
Please let us know if you get any info out of Manitou.
Manitou says a the low end of the weight scale, sag may not be the best measure. I'm right on the sag target, but they said I should try about 10 lbs more air. Says it should be rider weight minus 20-30 lbs. When I asked about small-bump sensitivity, he said the soft spring should maintain that, even with less sag. So, this weekend I'll add some more air and take it for a spin and report back.

Kathy

·
Registered
224 Posts
Mine clunks during rebound phase

During high-speed, larger hits, the fork clunks just before it returns to the fully extended position. Ive checked the oil height, and torqued everything down.

Frankly, I'm pretty disappointed in the quality and performance of this fork -- so much so Im actually considering putting my noodly SID back on.

Poor show, Manitou.

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
hey WBFree, don't write Manitou off so quickly.

I've been riding Marzocchi forks for 5 years and just started switching some of my bikes to Manitous. I think they're doing great things right now. I have a 2004 Minute 1:00 on my SS and the SPV makes out-of-saddle climbing a whole lot better than with the Marz MX Comp it replaced... and the damping is superior, so the control through bumpy sections is better. Finally, the 30mm stanchion chassis design is much stiffer torsionally than the Marz MX series chassis... better than a SID by leagues. I'm also putting a 2005 Firefly Plus on my X-5 in place of a 2003 Marz Z1 FR QR20.

I think if weight is an issue and you can run a 100mm fork, you should look at the Minute 2:00 or 3:00, both are around 3.5 lbs.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I had a Black Super SPV80 that clunked even with a lot of air in the SPV chamber. Turns out it was a bad valve that was sticking, the entire fork was replaced. The new fork does not clunk even with 30psi in the SPV chamber.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Thanks for the hope!

NJFUELGUY said:
I had a Black Super SPV80 that clunked even with a lot of air in the SPV chamber. Turns out it was a bad valve that was sticking, the entire fork was replaced. The new fork does not clunk even with 30psi in the SPV chamber.
I plan to take the fork into a LBS for return to Manitou. Personally, I do not have much confidence in this particular unit, a new one would be nice.

On a side note, whats the deal with QC with suspension parts? More than half of all the suspension units I've bought (a SID and now the Skareb, and one rear Fox shock) has had to be returned to the factory for warranty service.

Maybe I'm just unlucky, but it appears the industry is really lacking in this area.

·
Registered
448 Posts
World B. Free said:
On a side note, whats the deal with QC with suspension parts? More than half of all the suspension units I've bought (a SID and now the Skareb, and one rear Fox shock) has had to be returned to the factory for warranty service.

Maybe I'm just unlucky, but it appears the industry is really lacking in this area.
The Black that I have on my bike is the 3rd one, the first 2 were defective from the factory.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Same problem but fork broke

I bought a '04 Skareb Platinum and put about 800 miles of riding and racing before my clunk appeared. It would only sound at full extension and with real quick hits to the tire, like a small sharp root at high speed. I thought headset, but ruled that out and even tightened my spokes, but it didn't go away. I didn't notice any effect on performance and the rebound adjust seem to alleviate it some. I kept riding till it broke it the middle of a race, it worked but the travel was erratic and when you shoke it, it rattled. LBS sent it in and Manitou fixed for free and said something in the rebound broke. My must admit I did no maintance the entire time, so I can not blame Manitou. But in the long run I am not happy with performance of the fork or the SPV. I guess thats why they have a new setup for the '05 forks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts