Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I just put on an 04 Z1 FR, 130mm fork. I only weigh like 165lbs and the fork out of the box has kinda a lof of sag for my wieght. Esp since this is a coil fork. Also this fork seems kinda sticky. When I press down on my handlebars, the fork rebounds in kind of a jerky way like it needs lube. Is this normal?

Anyhow, anyone have any tips for getting this fork set up right?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
SteamDonkey said:
Hey I just put on an 04 Z1 FR, 130mm fork. I only weigh like 165lbs and the fork out of the box has kinda a lof of sag for my wieght. Esp since this is a coil fork. Also this fork seems kinda sticky. When I press down on my handlebars, the fork rebounds in kind of a jerky way like it needs lube. Is this normal?

Anyhow, anyone have any tips for getting this fork set up right?

Thanks in advance!
New Zoke forks are kind of notchy at the beginning of travel. In fact, they don't always completely rebound when new (with little or no preload). That goes away over time...as things wear in.

How much sag are you getting without any preload? The 04 Z1 has softer springs than the older Z1's because you don't change springs...just the air preload. I would think that the sag should almost be right for you right out of the box.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Don't forget that it has air assist too. Think of it as a coil preload. You access it under the rebound knob (gotta take the knob off). Add 3-5psi at a time until you get the feel you like. I doubt you will need more than 10psi at your weight.

·
mauna ona liquid
116 Posts
waiting for my Z1 FR, special air pump?

hi. I'm staring my second season of mountain biking and just ordered an 04 Z1 FR ETA for my Trek Liquid ($300!!!). Anxiously awaiting it's arrival. Do they come with the air pump for the preload (my Fox rear shock did)? Does it require a special Zoke air pump? If I need a special pump then I'd like to go ahead and order it too.

thanks. when I get more time I'll read what I'm sure are the many Z1 setup posts.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
As others have stated, there is a minimal break in period to loosen things up. Other than that you may want to put in about 5psi and give it another go. I think I ran 15-20psi, but I weigh 220lb.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
I weight 170 lbs and it rides pretty much perfect right out of the box. I actually had quite the opposite worry, out of the box, because I felt like I was using very little travel. The sticktion went away after a weekend in Moab and I only managed to use up all travel (no harsh bottom out) when I badly landed a 3 foot drop, front wheel first.

Before you start worrying about anything, ride the fork for 20 hours, change the oil and then dial it in.

_MK

·
mauna ona liquid
116 Posts
bet I'll break that Z1 in fast!

MK_ said:
I weight 170 lbs and it rides pretty much perfect right out of the box. I actually had quite the opposite worry, out of the box, because I felt like I was using very little travel. The sticktion went away after a weekend in Moab and I only managed to use up all travel (no harsh bottom out) when I badly landed a 3 foot drop, front wheel first.

_MK
I've landed a lot of drops on the front wheel this past year, and have the scars to prove it! Anyone have a favorite website, or perhaps a dvd, on technique that they'd like to recommend as I delve further into the world of freeride?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the info. I have about 0.5" of sag. I guess that's probably about right. My old fork was all air and had minimal sag ( and also less travel). I was more worried about the notchy behavior than the sag though.

Also, I just put in the star nut tonight. I sunk it exactly 2.4mm lower than I should have (17.4mm instead of 15mm). Wil this be safe or should I drill out the star nut and put in a new one?

Blue Shorts said:
New Zoke forks are kind of notchy at the beginning of travel. In fact, they don't always completely rebound when new (with little or no preload). That goes away over time...as things wear in.

How much sag are you getting without any preload? The 04 Z1 has softer springs than the older Z1's because you don't change springs...just the air preload. I would think that the sag should almost be right for you right out of the box.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
SteamDonkey said:
thanks for the info. I have about 0.5" of sag. I guess that's probably about right. My old fork was all air and had minimal sag ( and also less travel). I was more worried about the notchy behavior than the sag though.

Also, I just put in the star nut tonight. I sunk it exactly 2.4mm lower than I should have (17.4mm instead of 15mm). Wil this be safe or should I drill out the star nut and put in a new one?
It's not a safety issue at all It the top-cap bolt is long enough to thread into the star nut, it's fine. The starnut (in conjunction with the top cab and bolt) is only for adding preload to the bearings. The stem is what holds everything in place.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.