Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone, this is my first post here, but it is, what i hope to be, the end of a long research. i read all the reviews in the link above, most of them favorable and i looked over this entire forum hoping to find something. i have asked at 2 local shops about the front end(lefty) no one seems to think it needs adjustment or knows how to make an adjustment. i not the worlds sharpest rider, but i have a lot of miles on a variety of bikes, some even think im too old (52)

i have been riding this bike on and off for a couple of years and i noticed an alarming pattern emerge. i end up going over the handle bars! sometimes so quickly that i am left standing (slightly bent over and jogging) in front of my bike. the poor bike has really taken a beating.
i have gone back to riding my old manitou equipped diamond back from time to time (once because i ripped out the brake handle of the 800 in a crash and it took about a month to get a new cylinder) and i compare the ride. i hardly ever leave the saddle on the diamond back. and i ride the same trails.
so... 2 things i notice, and perhaps someone here will comment on them.
1.the travel of the lefty seems excessive and soft. when the shock collapses, as it works over terrain, i go forward with the front end so quickly and so far that im over the front in a blink.
2. the front end seems heavier and sticks out further than the diamond back. i measured the distance from the center crank to center front axle, the 800 has about 4 inches more length. this does throw off my timing, when i lift the front end.
i have had some fairly hilarious crashes, some on steep or rocky terrain. but sometimes just a minor dip will toss me. it would be something any one of you would never notice.
i read this entire forum before signing up, i found nothing about this, has anyone heard about this?
maybe i ride too forward or maybe the brakes are too sensitive. i am about 175 lbs. and 6 feet tall, i think i fit on the bike ok.
but any help would sure be appreciated!
thx.

·
Unit 91
1,408 Posts
Hmmm, have you ever sent you Lefty back to Cannondale? Sometimes the neddle bearings will migrate and cause you to actually lose travel. Maybe you bike isnt slack enough for the type of riding you are doing. You should be able to adjust the geometry of the Jekyll by the rear shock correct? If you run your bike with a slacker head angle, that will reduce you risk of going over. What size is the bike? You should be on a large I am guessing. Usually a longer bike would be less likely to throw you over IMO. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i haven't sent the lefty to Cdale, maybe i will.
i do have a large frame bike. but i haven't tried any adjustments on the rear shock. it is set on the complete XC side (i think) all the exposed threads on the body of the shock are towards the back. my riding style is fairly simple, i go up a trail as far as i can then i come down. it can be single track, rocky, rooty, this is where i see the endo pattern. i never did anything to the rear shock because it was squishy and i figured that was good enough, having always been on a hardtail.
the front end is factory set, so i don't know how slack it is. or how to get a slacker angle.
thanks for getting back to me!

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Before you start fiddling with the shock geometry , I think you should try a couple things with the Lefty .
All it really sounds like is that it is set up too soft for either your weight &/or your riding style .
Make sure you follow the set up recomendations in your Lefty manual for the proper air PSI per rider weight .
If you don't have one :nono: , it is available online on C'Dale's website in the Tech section for you to print off .
These are not set in stone and you can exceed them a bit .
Also , you can't just roll over an object that will make a fork (any) compress almost completely and maintain a seated postion .
By your description , it sounds like you're getting "scorpioned" by the rear of your bike .
You have to extend your legs against the pedals and get your rear end out and over the rear of the saddle .
This shifts your center of gravity to the rear of the bike and allows you lessen the impact(compression) of your fork .
What size is your is your 800 ?
Is it a 2002 model bike ?
The compression spring in Lefty's are based on what size bike they are mounted to .
By your size , you should be on a Large Jekyll .
The spring on a large Jekyll should be the blue one .
This one is rated for 150 to 180 lbs.
The next spring up is the red one and it is rated for 170 to 200 lbs .
If adjusting the air setting doesn't give you the results you need , you may need to
switch to the red spring .

Hope this gives you something to work with .

....Craig

Oh yeah ..... welcome to the forum ;)

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've had the same problem - going over the handlebars. On my old (hardtail) bike this never happened, maybe because I am riding faster? On the other hand, braking does seem to make this fork dive a lot more than others I have tried out...and it seems to blow through the mid travel very quickly. I've got the air pressure at around factory levels maybe I just need to put some more in??

·
Registered
139 Posts
Without mentioning the Lefty I'd say both of you need to slow down your rebound in the rear shock. This would also explain why it didn't happen on the old hardtail....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lots of great info! first thanks for your interest.
the bike is a "large" and it is a 2004 model.
i haven't found any reference to air pressure for the lefty max, on the bike, in the manual, or at the cdale site. maybe im missing it, sometimes things stare me right in the face and i don't see them.i'll continue my search. maybe i had the wrong link

i will slow the rebound on the rear, this is set completely on the fast side.

riding downhill, being prepared for declines almost always puts me back, way back, sometimes off the back of my saddle. like this the bike runs very well.
i go over the front when im pedaling, my weight is forward, im standing up and i hit some insignificant obstruction. i don't expect it and sometimes not even see it. and the timing has to be really exact, just as im leaning into the bike powering up on a pedal, bango, hits, over i go.sometimes i really whack my knee on the handle bar, that's how far forward i get when this happens

no one ever mentioned different springs, i think the one i have is too soft, thanks for that bit of info, i'll check it out.
thanks for the help, im on the phone for the spring info now!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.