Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am so fired up after a 3 hour ride, I just had to post on MTBR.

So, here’s the long story.

My 2004 HL 5 Spot has been sitting, unassembled, in the garage for the last 2 years. In that time, I built up a hardtail and have been riding that 100%.

I started to get the full suspension itch early in 2009; a coil shock with dual linkage rear end was inside my head. Santa Cruz was out due to cost. Giant Reign seemed to satisfy the itch, at least on paper. I found a 2008 frame on CL, bought it and built it out. A couple of grand later, I had the ultimate AM machine (170mm rear, 160mm front), or so I thought. The inaugural ride was a 30 minute road ride through town. I immediately said, “This thing is so much bigger and more unruly than my Spot.”. I rode it more, took it to the trails, was less than satisfied. Great bike no doubt, but not my style.

I gave up on the Reign and refocused on the Spot.

Time to breathe a little new life into her….upgradeitis had struck.

Brakes: She needed some new brakes: Magura Louise BAT – freaking awesome.

Fork: Pike 454 coil, with the big boy spring – most incredible feeling fork I have ever ridden.

Wheelset: Mavic 819 / DT Swiss 240 rear & Mavic 819 / Hope Pro 2 front – adorned with Continental Vapor UST / Mtn King UST respectively. This wheelset rocks.

My good ol’ 5 Spot is so sweet now. 28 lbs and ready to tackle whatever I throw at her.

Hardtails transfer the trail to your body. The Spot cannot be heard rolling over uneven terrain. I cannot believe how smooth the trail feels – I forgot how great FS really is.

This 5 Spot is my life love, again. I won’t be pursuing another trail bike for a long, long time. The geometry is so spot on for my riding style. It feels like an extension of my body. The next great thing will come, again and again. But my Spot, will not be leaving my stable any time soon.

Next up is a trip to Push for the RP3 and that is it.

See you in the Oakland Hills: JMP + Redwood loop.

Thanks for listening – HA.

·
Banned
91 Posts
Sweet post... I feel the same about my Spot... the bit about it being an extension of the rider rather than a seperate vessel you wrestle with is "spot" on. It just goes where I want with little effort and, if I misjudge the size of a rock/rut it rolls through it as if to say "no sweat, I got your back..." Probably a result of how well the bike gets along with a coil fore and aft.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
MAX LLOYD said:
2004 Spots are the nuts! Rebuilt mine last year with a new paintjob and some new parts.Have just added a Fox RP23 to add to the grin factor.
Looks fantastic for a 6 year old bike, not out of date at all. How many other brands can you say that about, if they're even still on the trail? I think some 5.5 rockers would complement the "new and improved" build quite nicely. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
03s are nice too

I've been riding mine since I recieved it as my main ride, allmost 7 years now. I repowdercoated it and built it up as light as I dare and it came out to 25.25 with a 130mm Marcocchi xc 700 sl. After having the fork bushings replaced under warranty once and less than a year later having it feel just as flexy I dumped it in favor of a 140 Talas so the bike is at 26 lbs. Still my main squeeze.

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Mine is gone now after DW version replaced it. Twas the best bike I owned. DW version is fast catching up though. Last year in the alps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Here's my 6 year old spot

I have a vanilla RC shock on order (would appreciate any set up tips on this)

And hoping to get some custom decals from JNC (again any ideas for inspiration would be welcome)

Awww pics won't upload!

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
So although it looks like a bomb went off in my basement, my 2003 5 Spot is just getting some overdue maintenance head to toe. It started with a rare bike wash, then followed with a fork rebuild, headset lube, King hub maintenance, pounding out the bb bearings getting ready for new Enduro bearings for the bb. Parts due here next week: Enduro bb bearings, new Turner frame kit + PUSH bushings. I'm also planning on installing a new front derailleur that been sitting at the ready for 2 years, new cable/housing, doing a brake bleed, maybe some new shoes. It should be a whole new ride, ready for action by next weekend. :thumbsup:

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts