Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any difference apart from shock options and paintwork?

I was thinking of buying an 06 but have the chance to get hold of an 04 model in good with a 5th Element shoch + Ti spring for £450.

Will it take a 150mm fork? Any limits on disc brake rotor size? Any problems with mud / tire clearance?

Mike

·
Banned
226 Posts
Weeble said:

I was thinking of buying an 06 but have the chance to get hold of an 04 model in good with a 5th Element shoch + Ti spring for £450.

Will it take a 150mm fork? Any limits on disc brake rotor size? Any problems with mud / tire clearance?

Mike
I know this really has nothing to do with anything, but I have an 03 and my Discs are 203mm and I have a 150mm sherman on it. I am swapping it for a Fox 36 Van (160mm) as soon as I can find a good price. I am thinking there isn't much difference in those 2 frames, so I would go with the 04 for the better price.

·
Dirt Rag Extraordinaire
637 Posts
heckler rules

hi

i've got an 04 heckler and i'm pretty sure the only difference is the shaft length of the shock. absolutely no problems with tire clearance. you're not going to run nokians on this thing, it's an all-rounder with a definate XC bent.

cheers

·
Dirt Rag Extraordinaire
637 Posts
heckler afterthoughts

hi

look, the heckler is f**king awesome, BUT... i'd go the nomad if i was buying a new bike now. the single pivot is reliable, old-school. i got a heckler cos i'd always wanted one, since they started making em a decade ago. the super-x heckler (post 01 model? i think) which is the current frame is sort of the first generation of true all-round trailbikes.

the nomad is the second generation... you wanna stay old-school or go NOW generation? the choice is yours. the nomad's angles and lines are not just astheticly pleasing, they represent a real development in the trailbike and best exlempify the modern mtb, in my opinion. the vp-free is a bit more bike than i'd want for climbing, it gets varied reviews in this dept.

believe me, if you get a heckler you'll love it, no doubt. but, after a season on it you'll be left wanting more... more travel, more stability, greater 'big-hit' ability, just more bike in general, as your skills develop. and they will develop on the heckler, to a point. the heckler will take you a long way, but only so far. :cool:

anyway, take it sleazy.

·
Not sure what to type?
566 Posts
Weeble said:

Mike
The cool part about Santa Cruz is that they don't do model years. The redesign of the Heckler came out in 2003 and has remained the same since. They did up the stroke on the rear shock from 2.00 to 2.25, but that's it. So a 2004 model (which I have) is the same frame as a new one.
That being said I absolutely love mine. The main reason I bought the Heckler IS the single pivot desing. Very simple and easy to maintain. I didn't want to mess with keeping alot of pivots tight and cleaned. The Heckler will take almost anything you can throw at it and come back for more.
Another reason I went with a Heckler is the price. Were else can you get a do-it-all bike for under $2300 complete and have a choice of forks, shocks, and component groups?
The Heckler just can't be beat in the bang for buck area.

I run 2.5 tire on mine and have no problems with clearnance.
As for the front fork, I'm not sure about that one.

If the used frame is in good condition (do a very intense inspection) then I would go for it.
You definetly won't regret getting a Heckler.

·
Dirt Rag Extraordinaire
637 Posts
heckler v3

hey man,

yeah, you're right on all counts... still, i'd upgrade to a nomad if i could. nice looking bike by the way. mine's the metallic blue colour, really dark, looks almost black. it's sick.

my only comment on forx is definately go the 20mm thru axel. i'd go the fox 36's, if you can afford it. and the fox dhx 5.0 coil rather than the 5th element. not that the 5th element ain't great, but peeps are saying the dhx is much better. the specs on the santacruzmtb.com bike look like the way to go.

cya

·
Registered
842 Posts
m0ngy said:
hi

believe me, if you get a heckler you'll love it, no doubt. but, after a season on it you'll be left wanting more... more travel, more stability, greater 'big-hit' ability, just more bike in general, as your skills develop. and they will develop on the heckler, to a point. the heckler will take you a long way, but only so far. :cool:

anyway, take it sleazy.
I think the bike buyer has to ask where they want to go with biking first, and if the answer is to develop their freeride skills (ie smoothing bighits), then you'd be right. However, if the buyer has this on the mind, I say start with a VPFree, grow into the bike's capabilities and do it right. Too oftern I've watched aspiring freeriders grow out of their bikes inside of a year because this is where they've always wanted to go in their riding. It turns out to be an expensive saga of broken parts.

On the other hand, if the rider whats to do longer (ie 4hr+) all mountain rides with the odd small drop or steep descent, with minimal pivot hassles, then the Heckler won't hold them back. This is the kind of thing it does best and it should be the focus of your riding if you're putting your hard earned $$ into a Heckler.

Your comments of 'more stability' and 'more travel' conjur an image of a guy on Heckler who's gone out and ripped it up with his buddies on the lift-accessed trails, and realized he's wanting more bike. If the guy sees that in his future, I say, don't buy the Heckler, and call a spade a spade.

So Nomad vs Heckler vs VPFree guys: look in the mirror and ask yourself what is the highlight of the rides you do. Is it the new high drop or uber-tough line you smoothed for the first time? Do long sections of singletrack merely seperate the cool stunts or are they reason to ride in themselves? Or is it the mountain top views with yer buddies after sloggin your steed through mud for 5 hrs of abuse? Answer this kinds of questions and then pick the bike.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
How far do you want to go? The Heckler can go 8ft+ to tranny and with burly parts can handle all but the biggest hits. I do not consider the Nomad to be much burlier than the Heckler. If I was wanting to go 8ft or more, the Nomad would not be on my short list. The Nomad has less than an inch more travel(if you are using a longer stroke shock) and uses the vpp system. The Nomad frame is very light also.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Beef

To me, if you look at a Heckler frame and then look at a Nomad frame, the Heckler looks much beefier and overbuilt than the Nomad. The rear end on the Heckler even looks to be beefier than my Bullit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.