Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I installed my Hone crankset I could have sworn that the instructions said to use one spacer per side. I've been doing some research and come to find out I should have one on the non drive side and two on the drive side. I've ran it one per side for almost two years with no problems. Which is correct? 68mm shell by the way.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
The "correct" configuration....

is two drive, one non-drive for a 68mm bb housing. This is to give the chainline on the drive side (50mm) as specified by Shimano. However the spacers can be moved to accomodate other chainlines. The two most common chainlines are 47.5mm and 50mm for MTBs. The 04 Enduro was designed with a 50mm chainline. But you can get away with a -2.5mm variance with some frames. Just depends on how sensative the frame is to chainline variations. It also depends on the crank configuration as well. If you are running a double ring/bash ring set up on the bike the effects of being -2.5mm in the chainline would be negligable, again depending on the frame. I've worked on frames that + or - 1mm of chainline caused no end of problems, and others that + or - 3mm didn't make much difference.

Anyway, as long as everything is tight and stays that way, and you don't have any problems with bearing life, etc. I wouldn't worry about it. Your crank on the drive side is likely a little closer to the frame than the non-drive side. But if you don't notice it then don't worry about it. If you've got everything working right up front, good shifting performance front and rear, no clearance issues etc. Then leave it alone. It won't hurt anything.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man. I put the extra spacer on the drive side and all is good. I recently put my front D back on and it was dropping the chain occasionally but now with two spacers no drop on today's ride. Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.