Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know you guys LOVE these kinds of question, but I'd like all the advice I can get.

I want to build or buy a 5" travel trail bike. It will be used for everything but shuttle run's and racing. It will be mainly used for aggressive singletrack and very rocky and rooty trails with lots of short climbs and little DH sections mixed in. I over-built my last trail bike and now it weighs 40lbs so I just use it as more if a freeride(egads!) rig.

I'd like to build a 30lb bike, and I only run Hayes disk brakes and Fox shocks, either air or coil, and I only run Marzocchi forks( want to run a 04 Z1). Since I'm such a stickler for these parts, I plan on building up a bike, with a USED frame. Trying to get a frame for under $700 if possible.

A complete 04 Coiler Deelux is pretty much perfect, but I'd like to drop atleast 5 lbs off the total weight. As to the Specialized Enduro (03-05) or Santa Cruz Heckler I'd just buy a frame and build it my way. I'd like to build or buy a complete bike for around $1500. I think I can get a nice used Coiler for around that, and I spent the day yesterday finding good deals online for all the parts I need to build the other 2 if needed.

So which of the 3 frames do you think is best?

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Both the Heckler and Enduro are better than the Coiler for the type of riding you describe. You will end up spending more money than you should making the Coiler lighter.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
FWIW: I have 03 Enduro, and breifly tested a Heckler. I chose Enduro due to price and the rear suspension remained supple when braking, but I must say the brief time testing both before the purchase had me like the Heckler too. My Enduro is very comfy on long rides, and I really like the way I can combine my ETA on my Bomber fork and the ITch switch that stiffens up the rear for different conditions. If I didn't have 3 kids and a new home to think about I'd want both.

Even though I went for the AMP-type bike I thought the Heckler was great compared to other non AMP/Horst types I've tried. I thought the Heckler seemed better for more gnarly stuff, but it also had coil shock and heavier tougher tires.

Have fun when you have it and it's all done!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
soulfly_NYC said:
I would just buy a new heckler frame for 800 bucks! You said you want to buy used for 700?

Or you can buy a new azonic sabre for about the same price.

Hope that helps.
Where have you seen Heckler frames for $800? Cheapest I've seen is $900. Let me know.

·
Registered
11,771 Posts
Azonic Saber

FISHLEG said:
Ok, I know you guys LOVE these kinds of question, but I'd like all the advice I can get.

I want to build or buy a 5" travel trail bike. It will be used for everything but shuttle run's and racing. It will be mainly used for aggressive singletrack and very rocky and rooty trails with lots of short climbs and little DH sections mixed in. I over-built my last trail bike and now it weighs 40lbs so I just use it as more if a freeride(egads!) rig.

I'd like to build a 30lb bike, and I only run Hayes disk brakes and Fox shocks, either air or coil, and I only run Marzocchi forks( want to run a 04 Z1). Since I'm such a stickler for these parts, I plan on building up a bike, with a USED frame. Trying to get a frame for under $700 if possible.

A complete 04 Coiler Deelux is pretty much perfect, but I'd like to drop atleast 5 lbs off the total weight. As to the Specialized Enduro (03-05) or Santa Cruz Heckler I'd just buy a frame and build it my way. I'd like to build or buy a complete bike for around $1500. I think I can get a nice used Coiler for around that, and I spent the day yesterday finding good deals online for all the parts I need to build the other 2 if needed.

So which of the 3 frames do you think is best?
are $799 right now with a romic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.