Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize what the bike was intended for BUT, i rode last night @ Kincaid and couldnt keep up with my buddy so Im wondering if anyone else has changed these for a more mtb/all around set-up.
I did research on the 26"rear wheel, has anyone successfully converted it? it might, or would hit the seat post?
Is there anyway to get away from the bobbing? Heavier spring 650lb?

ANY help is greatly appreciated!

(907) 529-1307

·
Raubgee
53 Posts
Love for the big bikes too

Check out BETD at this link: https://www.betd.co.uk/product_list.asp?CategoryID=111
I hear a lot of good things about these guys and they seem to be thinking along the same lines as myself when it comes to making the best of the ride you have instead of throwing down the duckets for another steed. There may be other options out there for running a 26 on the back of the big hit, but I stumbled across this site when I was looking to increase the travel of my Spec Enduro.
And maybe look into a Fox DHX shock, lots of adjustments and options with propedal. That helps to tame the bobs.
Hope this sheds some light on what you're looking for.
Oh, and when your friend isn't looking, shank his tires - then you'll have no problem keeping up.

Robbo

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
You are loosing an uphill battle.

However, there are a few things you can do.

THe 26" rear wheel is a no-go. you can send your Fox shock to www.pushindustries.com to have it custom valved for you, that bike, and your riding style.

BETD is almost impossible to deal with from this side of the pond. I say that is NOT an option. Do a search on this forum.

Your best bet is PUSH.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Get your shock dialed in for your riding style, a Titec telescoping seatpost, and a Rohloff Speedhub for full gear range and you'll be fine for heavy duty XC!

vjdup said:
I realize what the bike was intended for BUT, i rode last night @ Kincaid and couldnt keep up with my buddy so Im wondering if anyone else has changed these for a more mtb/all around set-up.
I did research on the 26"rear wheel, has anyone successfully converted it? it might, or would hit the seat post?
Is there anyway to get away from the bobbing? Heavier spring 650lb?

ANY help is greatly appreciated!

(907) 529-1307

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
No way to tell about the spring.

The spring nees to sag about 1/3 of the travel while you are on the bike.
THe internall valving is what PUSH does for you. (If it is a Fox shock)

Only you can tell us if you need a stiffer spring, but that is NOT going to help with BOB.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm assuming you've got the stock Vanilla R? Probably PUSH would be the best way to go so you get a better pedalling platform. That's likely much cheaper than buying another shock. If you do go another shock route, something with a stable platform is best for XC type riding-Manitou SPV, Fox DHX, Progressive 5th Element,etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Two things,
I havent had trouble keeping up when I was riding my Cannondale M600, circa 1990, (NO suspension, not even a suspension seat post.
I think that I had my seat too low so I wasnt getting the full power of each of my strokes, causing me to tire VERY quickly. It seems that I was tireing too quickly so I started to figure out the differences between the two bikes, i.e. rear wheel 24in, the rear suspension.

Second, Im 32 now and havent kept my body on shape. so it seems that I cant get as much out of myself as I used to.

The shock issue: I was comparing my BigHit to my friends Giant Warp.... Apples and Oranges. My bikes' suspension is SO plush I was relating the inability to keep up with the peddle bob. Figuring a different rear shock would cut down on the bob issue. He has a 700lb spring on his rear.

I was into MTB when I got out of high school, I built my Cannondale from the frame up in 1992. Bikes have changed since I was last heavily involved.

Is it possible to add the 3rd chainring in front? Different crank set? Will the derailure clear a larger set of chainrings? I looked up the Rohloff Speedhub $1000!!!!!, so thats not gong to happen.

Maybe if I give up the bacon wrapped Big Macs? No that wouldnt help.

·
Raubgee
53 Posts
Wiggedy Whack!

For all I know, that rear shock of yours should be a good one. Try adjusting it a bit, and pick up that titec telescoping seatpost as suggested earlier. I found that for riding the majority of trails and for going UP, even my enduro is not as efficient as I had hoped. In fact, I so rarely got into my big chainring, compared to riding my hardtail, that I just took it off all togrether. But I did just get a Fox RP3 for the rear, and It's a night and day difference with the ProPedal from what I had before (The more I ride it, the better it gets). I still have and always will have a hardtail XC ride in my stable, though. Sorry this doesn't help you out much, but this is how I roll.

The Rob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.