Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Ventana Mountain Bikes
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, we have finally reached a decision on what we can do for those of you with 3/4/5" rockers longing for 4/5" adjustable travel rockers for your '04 and older frames. It seems that most want only two positions at 4" and 5". And a few want just a dedicated 5".

What I am willing to do for those who send in their 3/4/5 rockers is to machine off ( in the clean Ventana fashion) the additional holes for a fee of $25 per rocker set (or $55 if you also want new quad bearings in them) plus return shippping. However, I have done some extensive research on the possibility of stripping and re-anodizing the rockers, and unfortunately that is not possible as the bearing bores will become oversized in the etching process. And they can not be re-anodized locally without messing up the original finish. So what you will receive is the original rocker set with an exposed silver machined surface wherever material is removed.

If this is acceptable, I urge all interested parties to get together, round up your rockers, and send them in to me. As soon as I get at least ten sets, I will get them in the queve and schedule them for re-machining. I am only planning on doing this setup once so please get the word out so everyone interested can take advantage of my current weak state of generosity and compassion. I can't guarantee it will last too long.

I can probably even take care of those who want only 5", but you must specify that preference when you send in your rockers, or they will get the 4/5 treatment instead.

For those who do not have a spare set of rockers, I suggest you email me your intentions of having this service performed so you can be on the list, but wait to send them in until the week I am going to perform the surgery. That way you can still ride your bike until the last possible moment. I'll post here at MTBR the week before the rockers will hit the machine. [email protected]

We are still on the fence regarding 4/5 rocker sets for '05 frames. The main problem being over booked machines and too many bikes to build with our very small staff of five. But keep pushing...

Best regards,
Sherwood

·
IPAs make me wanna puke.
1,598 Posts
Sherwood, you are the MAN!

sherwood said:
OK, we have finally reached a decision on what we can do for those of you with 3/4/5" rockers longing for 4/5" adjustable travel rockers for your '04 and older frames. It seems that most want only two positions at 4" and 5". And a few want just a dedicated 5".

What I am willing to do for those who send in their 3/4/5 rockers is to machine off ( in the clean Ventana fashion) the additional holes for a fee of $25 per rocker set (or $55 if you also want new quad bearings in them) plus return shippping. However, I have done some extensive research on the possibility of stripping and re-anodizing the rockers, and unfortunately that is not possible as the bearing bores will become oversized in the etching process. And they can not be re-anodized locally without messing up the original finish. So what you will receive is the original rocker set with an exposed silver machined surface wherever material is removed.

If this is acceptable, I urge all interested parties to get together, round up your rockers, and send them in to me. As soon as I get at least ten sets, I will get them in the queve and schedule them for re-machining. I am only planning on doing this setup once so please get the word out so all everyone interested can take advantage of my current weak state of generosity and compassion. I can't guarantee it will last too long.

I can probably even take care of those who want only 5", but you must specify that preference when you send in your rockers, or they will get the 4/5 treatment instead.

For those who do not have a spare set of rockers, I suggest you email me your intentions of having this service performed so you can be on the list, but wait to send them in until the week I am going to perform the surgery. That way you can still ride your bike until the last possible moment. I'll post here at MTBR the week before the rockers will hit the machine. [email protected]

We are still on the fence regarding 4/5 rocker sets for '05 frames. The main problem being over booked machines and too many bikes to build with our very small staff of five. But keep pushing...

Best regards,
Sherwood

I don't own a 3-4-5, but would be muy interested in getting one of the modified rockers. Any chance you will be modifying any of the 3-4-5's that you have in stock, so I can get one?

Help?

·
11 is one louder than 10
1,408 Posts
Great News

Mine will be on the way ASAP.

SV - there was a set recently on ebay, and I think chad at Red Barn has a couple sets, fairly cheap.

Great news Sherwood, thanks.

·
Registered
265 Posts
'05 4-5 please...

Sherwood, I'm begging here...please strongly consider making the 4-5 rocker for '05 bikes. Traditionally, one of the greatest strenghs of the El Saltomontes (in my eyes) has been its versatility...the 4-5 rocker would only add to that.

·
in the getto
175 Posts
rockers

lushmd said:
Sherwood, I'm begging here...please strongly consider making the 4-5 rocker for '05 bikes. Traditionally, one of the greatest strenghs of the El Saltomontes (in my eyes) has been its versatility...the 4-5 rocker would only add to that.
Sherwood is the MAN,i agree.
I thought i read somewhere recently that if you do the 5/6in. rockers but with a 2in. stroke RP3 on it that you would get something like 4.25 and 5.25 of travel on the 05 frames. Can somone enlighten me?

·
Registered
95 Posts
4"/5" rocker

What is prohibiting all you fans of 4/5" from going 5/6"
Is 5" travel too much for most cross country?
I am new to full suspension and have the 5/6 rocker on my new salt with the dhx and it seems perfect. Granted I am not racing and the dhx is slightly heavy.
I have been riding in 5" and it is smooth, tracks great and climbs better than my hardtail.
Also have not used the 6" travel yet but I will.
Curious.

·
aka greyranger
507 Posts
toe-knee said:
Sherwood is the MAN,i agree.
I thought i read somewhere recently that if you do the 5/6in. rockers but with a 2in. stroke RP3 on it that you would get something like 4.25 and 5.25 of travel on the 05 frames. Can somone enlighten me?
If I am correct that is the case for the x-5, not sure on the Salt. I had looked at that option for my 05 x-5.

·
Ventana Mountain Bikes
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lushmd said:
Sherwood, I'm begging here...please strongly consider making the 4-5 rocker for '05 bikes.
I haven't ruled it out, I just can't spare the machine time just yet. As I said, keep prodding.

·
Ventana Mountain Bikes
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
toe-knee said:
That is true, sort of. Travel is 4.44" and 5.31" respectively with the '05 5/6" rocker, and a 2" i2i shock. Works the same on both Saltamontes and X-5 frames.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I am joining the legion of 4-5"

hello

I want my rocker to be modified... I only hope that Sherwood do that before my trip to Colorado - Utah this summer... ;)

·
11 is one louder than 10
1,408 Posts
for those that want this - e-mail sherwood

At the link in this post. Lets get the group together and moving on this one.

·
Ventana Mountain Bikes
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK,
Right now I have only three people willing to do this. Two in a 4/5", and one in a 5" only. WTF? I thought there was interest out there! At this rate, it might take a couple of months to reach the ten minimum. And believe me, I am not getting rich on this. If you are holding out for a lower price than the $25 per set you will miss out.

I have plenty of other things to do so I will just wait for the ten. If you are interested ... please email me so we can move forward with this... [email protected]

·
IPAs make me wanna puke.
1,598 Posts
sherwood said:
OK,
Right now I have only three people willing to do this. Two in a 4/5", and one in a 5" only. WTF? I thought there was interest out there! At this rate, it might take a couple of months to reach the ten minimum. And believe me, I am not getting rich on this. If you are holding out for a lower price than the $25 per set you will miss out.

I have plenty of other things to do so I will just wait for the ten. If you are interested ... please email me so we can move forward with this... [email protected]

I'd be willing to purchase a new 3-4-5 modified to 4-5 for my '04 El Salt if you have them in stock.

Michael

·
Registered
240 Posts
Why modify the rockers?

I have the 3/4/5 rockers on my Salty and only use the 5" setting but I never considered spending money to modify the rocker just to have two less holes. Is it a weight thing or just looks? I don't get it.

·
11 is one louder than 10
1,408 Posts
for me, smoother look

as I will never use the 3 and 3.5 settings.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts