Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So let me get this straight. The Kingpin and Slider share the same wonderfull TPC + damping with the only real difference is SPV.

Unless you race, the $300 savings over the Slider, the Kingpin is going to make waves! I think I may have found my next fork! :D

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
My understanding is its the same chassis as the Slider+ but has TPC+ instead of SPV. I for one will probably be buying one as soon as I can since I can get them at cost. :D

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree!

COmtbiker12 said:
My understanding is its the same chassis as the Slider+ but has TPC+ instead of SPV. I for one will probably be buying one as soon as I can since I can get them at coast. :D
Don't really need the SPV and you can't beat the price! $450 USD!!!! That's cheaper than a frickin' Jr T!

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
TWISTED said:
The Sin. I ordered the Stance Kingpin 170 hex axle in black, a Swinger 4-way air rear shock, carbon fibre 31.8 Protaper bars, Answer 31.8 x 60 ATAC stem, and seatpost.
I'm thinking 33 lb downhill / freerider with 7" front and back.
sounds sweet dude. do you actually work for mountain cycle, or just really like their bikes? either way thats cool

·
Say Car Ramrod!!
1,823 Posts
Yea the fork sounds interesting but.....

does it have the same casting as the sherman line or the new nixon line? the nixons looks slighty less built in the dropouts and the arch.....

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
The Dude said:
does it have the same casting as the sherman line or the new nixon line? the nixons looks slighty less built in the dropouts and the arch.....
"Less built" = lighter, right? I've only seen one picture of the kingpin so I won't know what it looks like till I get mine. It does appear to look different than the Sherman but I haven't compared it to the Nixon.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
I thought id clear a couple of things up...

Manitou '05 Range...

Manitou will be introuducing 3 new lines next year such as stance...splice...nixon...

they have redone the SPV (Stable Platform Valving) System and called it SPV Elvolve...the pedaling platform has been made more sensitive and adjustable...which means it will now suit more riders and riding styles...there gunna make this happen by a schrader valve underneath the right lower...

NIXON line comes with the new IT (Infinate Travel) and SPV Evolve (Stable Platform Valving) systems...

SHERMAN comes with the new SPV Evolve...

STANCE line comes with regular TPC...

SPLICE will not be commented on seems as its XC crap...

all the above lines (with the exception of SPLICE) will feature the exact same lower chassis...

NIXON platinum (top model) will weigh 1900g...has 6" of travel...and in aus they wil retail around 1469...which is about the same as a current slider...the lower 2 models super and elite...super will only come with the IT system and the elite will have the SPV Elvolve...

STANCE...will have the kingpin of course with 170mm of travel...stactic with 80-100mm of travel...flow with 120-150mm of travel...all with TPC...

INFINATE TRAVEL...manitous thinks its solved the variable travel problem...of changing spring rates characteristics as you move through the travel...so IT is supposed to remain consistent and the ride height is changed by a simple handlebar mounted device (much similar to RockShox U-Turn Bizzo) its much similar to RockShox new motion control and Marzocchis ETA systems...not sure how efective it will be but lest hope for the best...

anyways...i have pics but ill let u gys find them in time and hope this has cleared up adn not created more questions about the new manitou lines...

and TWISTED...the sins new kitout sonds real nice...hope u have alot of fun with it...although i read a review on one which kinda shocked me...apparently they didnt quite like it...

When things got fast and hectic...stability was lost and it became a battle to keep both wheels hooked up...the bike doesnt want to carve up with both wheels...the rear pushing out quickly unless weighted heavily...over rought stuff at speed the steep angles and short top tube didnt inspire confidence...yarda yarda...
they thought it was beautifully crafted and all and from the pic i saw it sure did look it to...in matt balck as you know its a nice looking bike...wierd shape and all but niceish...

u got anything to say about that...is it really that bad...or didint they ride it for long enough or summin to adjust to it...anyways its good to see u postin on MTBR again...i havent had a dig at anyone for ages (maby u could help me out)...anyways...

in done...

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
BJ- said:
I thought id make a couple of things up...

Manitou '05 Range...

Manitou will be introuducing 3 new lines next year such as stance...splice...nixon...

they have redone the SPV (Stable Platform Valving) System and called it SPV Elvolve...the pedaling platform has been made more sensitive and adjustable...which means it will now suit more riders and riding styles...there gunna make this happen by a schrader valve underneath the right lower...

NIXON line comes with the new IT (Infinate Travel) and SPV Evolve (Stable Platform Valving) systems...

SHERMAN comes with the new SPV Evolve...

STANCE line comes with regular TPC...

SPLICE will not be commented on seems as its XC crap...

all the above lines (with the exception of SPLICE) will feature the exact same lower chassis...

NIXON platinum (top model) will weigh 1900g...has 6" of travel...and in aus they wil retail around 1469...which is about the same as a current slider...the lower 2 models super and elite...super will only come with the IT system and the elite will have the SPV Elvolve...

STANCE...will have the kingpin of course with 170mm of travel...stactic with 80-100mm of travel...flow with 120-150mm of travel...all with TPC...

INFINATE TRAVEL...manitous thinks its solved the variable travel problem...of changing spring rates characteristics as you move through the travel...so IT is supposed to remain consistent and the ride height is changed by a simple handlebar mounted device (much similar to RockShox U-Turn Bizzo) its much similar to RockShox new motion control and Marzocchis ETA systems...not sure how efective it will be but lest hope for the best...

anyways...i have pics but ill let u gys find them in time and hope this has cleared up adn not created more questions about the new manitou lines...

and TWISTED...the sins new kitout sonds real nice..much better than the crap i've been riding...

i thought the dildo was beautifully crafted and all and from the pic i saw it sure did look it to...in matt balck as you know its a nice looking bike...wierd shape and all but niceish in the ass...

u got anything to say about that...is it really that bad...or didint they ride it for long enough or summin to adjust to it...anyways its good to see u postin on MTBR again...i havent had a dig at anyone for ages (maby u could help me out)...anyways gay...

in done...
I don't know where you got your '05 Manitou specs but they don't match my '05 Manitou oem catalog.
such as the Stance line. The kingpin comes in 170 or 150, both with tpc. The three single crown models are FF (force flow) dampened. TPC is available as an option. Some Shermans are TPC+. Actually there are many options available throughout the '05 Manitou line which make it hard to say what will be available to the public at their local shop or come equipped on a new bike.
All have the exact same lowers? I'm sure they don't.

The problem with the Sin that got tested by the magazine is it had the wrong size shock on it. It was too long, which jacked up the rear, raised the bb, and steepened the head angle. Somebody here thought it would be better to have a little more travel instead of better geometry. The rear shock I have ordered for my bike is much shorter but will still give 170mm travel, or as my Sin's swingarm reads 6point66.

Thanks for clearing up a couple things BJ.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
sorry bro i do have other things than MTBR to attend to...:D

well im glad u cleared up the problems with the sin...coz apart from the fact it dont look nuttin like lacey chabert i allways regarded and thought that mountain cycles rode very very well...and plus u love ur never ending abundance of em so i was a bit shocked to hear someone say that kinda stuff about a sin...anyways...do they know that the shock was to long and do u know the guys from AMB (australian mountain bike magazine) that did the review...coz it would be interesting to see if the guys knew that due to there own fault the bike rode that way...

anyways...

in regards to my manitou 05 line info...i obtained all but the stance info from a very reliable source and from what ive heard and seen (not so reliable) i put the info for the stance line togeather my self...and yes im am quite sure that the stance line...sherman line...nixon line...will all come with very similar lowers...they will all look the same but others will be lighter and others will be stronger and some (the nixon and maby shermans i presume they will) will also have the new IT (infinate travel) valve...

but seems as u are a somewhat icon in the MTb world and i am not...i presume u would allready know these things or know better anyways...

but its good to see u back man...no ones challenged my word in a while...:D

(and u got any pics for me today)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts