Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe I could get them for about the same price (both new), maybe give 1 or 2 hundred on the 03' VT1. I have read about the terrible front RS fork on the 03', so what do you folks feel would be the better value, performance and price?

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
6,451 Posts
Well, FWIW, I have a BRAND NEW 03' VT 1 18.5...

For a whopping $2100, complete, full stock, etc..That is cheap, cheap for all of the components alone. Jus' spreadin' tha word....

·
Combat Wombat
1,848 Posts
I had this choice last March.

goatboy said:
I believe I could get them for about the same price (both new), maybe give 1 or 2 hundred on the 03' VT1. I have read about the terrible front RS fork on the 03', so what do you folks feel would be the better value, performance and price?
Stopped at a LBS to say hi, look around, and got to looking at the VTs. I liked them, but told the owner that I could not afford to spend more than $2000 on a bike at that time. He then offered a me a killer deal on a 2004 VT-2 and for about $80 more, said he could get me a 2003 VT-1.
We looked at the spec's of both bikes and there are 3 big differences between the two to consider. The fork, the wheels and the crank. The shock can also be something to consider, if you like to drop the seatpost when riding. The Manitou Swinger 4-way that comes on the 2003 does not allow for this. Although not a fan of RS, I went with the 2003 VT-1 mainly because of the Mavic Crossmax XL tubeless wheels. If I had to do it again, it would still be tough choice. After experiencing a stable platform rear shock, having it on the front might be pretty sweet. I do not know anything about the RF Evolve crank on the 2004 VT-2, but if it is anything like the Prodigy, I would take a Shimano LX over it any day. The RF Turbine on the 2003 VT-1 is nice.

Brian

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
'03 VT1 would be my choice, better components all around. The only problem will be the rear shock reservoir not allowing the post to move all the way down, for me it's not a problem but for some VT owner it is.

The SPV in the front is a nice addition but the Psylo works fine, I used one on my VT for a while but now use a Black Super. The Psylo is still in action on my singlespeed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.